Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RAF Scampton Vulcan Bay Numbers?

For announcements, photographs and video's and general '558 related chat.
Vulcan74

RAF Scampton Vulcan Bay Numbers?

Post by Vulcan74 » Sun May 13, 2018 11:46 am

Afternoon All

Does anyone know what the Vulcan Parking Bay Numbers were at at RAF Scampton during the 70's. It would be much appreciated, with being a Vulcan nut!!

Regards

Vulcan74

ph2210

Re: RAF Scampton Vulcan Bay Numbers?

Post by ph2210 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:23 am

Right here go's - engage deepest memories of early seventies!
The pans were identified by Dispersal names -Alpha to Foxtrot but to the best of my recollection weren't identified by a slot number. (I could be wrong as I was working in the hangars)
Foxtrot was at the 04 end of the runway to the south. Between '72 & '75 and it was the visiting a/c pan until 35 Sqn returned from Cyprus in early '75.
Clockwise from there next was Alpha. I think 27Sqn were there until their disbandment in '71. They may have gone back there on reforming in Dec 73, not 100% sure on this one as I seem to recall seeing them on Delta as well - see below.
Next was Bravo & opposite, Charlie. Both were 617 Sqn. (Became BAe pans for F-4 strip down for roading out to HOSM. now HHA)
Delta was next. This was to be the home of "1066" Sqn Hastings, (Part of 230 OCU) on relocation from Lindholme.
Echo was the 230 OCU Pan. (Later to be modified for CFS JP5's/Tucanos). The Red Arrows pan was just grass at this time.
Which brings us back to Foxtrot.

As I say it is straining the grey matter but I'm pretty sure that's how it was. I have a soft for Scampton as it was my first posting out of training on the V's & Hastings (Queen of the Skies!) and my last 25 years later on the Reds.

Hope this is of some help,
ATB
Paul

Vulcan74

Re: RAF Scampton Vulcan Bay Numbers?

Post by Vulcan74 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:07 am

Morning Paul

Thanks very much for that much appreciated, with being interested in RAF Scampton and when the Vulcans were there. I wondered like civil airfields did the RAF use slot bay numbers when the Vulcans were parking.

Return to “The Vulcan XH558 Forum”