Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Royal International Air Tattoo 2019 Discussion Thread

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
Alfie

Re: Royal International Air Tattoo 2019 Discussion Thread

Post by Alfie » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:49 pm

I started going to RIAT when it was still at Greenham and I went to the firsts ones to be held at Fairford, I can't remember how many. Then I dropped out for quite a few years and returned again in 2014 and haven't missed one since. This year I attended on the Sunday and although a good day with some excellent displays I found it slightly lacking compared to other years. It would be interesting to know what other members thought.

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:08 pm

I agree that Sunday lacked a little less than Saturday, because Saturday was padded out with at least 4 flypasts of sorts

- 3 Belgian F-16s
- 747 and Reds
- Reds and Patrouille de France
- NATO flypast

Which obviously meant less flew Sunday. I think as well, the "star" acts were pushed to the finale on Sunday as well. With the MiGs, F-18 and Harriers being in the 2 hours of flying.

Friday to Monday though, overall, was brilliant. :thumb:
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:12 pm

Hi Jimbo :P

Glad/knew you and our gang WOULD have a great time :thumbs:

Can't wait to fave some of your awesome shots with your new kit ;)

Mark: you won't ever win :lol:

Paddster :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Campbell89

Post by Campbell89 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:54 pm

MRTT wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:24 pm
Heritage F-15 wise, the 492nd is at Nellis, the 493rd weren't in attendance and the 494th is broken.
I asked the 492nd guys there how long the heritage aircraft would remain in the schemes and they couldn’t say although they imagined it would be the remainder of this year only. I NEED to see any of them before they’re repainted.

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:05 pm

MRTT wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:24 pm
Heritage F-15 wise, the 492nd is at Nellis, the 493rd weren't in attendance and the 494th is broken.
493rd heritage jet was due to arrive with 494th jet but went U/S, I think the pilot said it was a hydraulic issue while taxing or on start up
Posh BSM Trophy winners 2024

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:14 pm

paddyboy wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:12 pm
Hi Jimbo :P

Glad/knew you and our gang WOULD have a great time :thumbs:

Can't wait to fave some of your awesome shots with your new kit ;)

Mark: you won't ever win :lol:

Paddster :clap:
Cheers Paddy - We all did :thumb:
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

John flightpath

Post by John flightpath » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:49 pm

I can see the point that James Cutting is trying to make, however I think DBH need to be a little more commercially savvy and do more to balance up the 2 weekend days going forward. Friday should not be charged at the same price as the weekend if they are not having a display for the same amount of hours. It is a natural reaction that when we buy our early bird tickets in December and January that the expectation and anticipation begins. If those Thursday updates don't come up to our expectations, then there is a bit of disappointment creeps in. I believe its time for DBH to take a step back, think about it and improve the overall plan,and stop thinking of 'continually milking the proverbial cow'.
A bit more thought going into it would no go amiss. In doing so they could sell out the Sunday aswell.

Just thought I would put it out there.

Cheers
John 'flightpath'.
Equipment
Canon EOS 750D

Sigma APO OS DG 150-500mm
Canon 55-250 IS STM Lens
Sigma APO DG 70-300 lens

StevenNFFC

Post by StevenNFFC » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:56 am

I think you are also up against the general public who just go for 'a day out' and couldn't care what displays and what doesn't. For example, this is a quote from a lady who commented on RIAT asking for feedback on the show on Facebook:
The children loved the STEM/Techno zone, more so than the flying displays. Not enough to keep the toddler age group entertained though

Zac Hinchcliffe

Post by Zac Hinchcliffe » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:14 am

Yes, whilst this is an event for aviation enthusiasts, there are a lot of families, 'plane widows' and general public that attend that bring in an awful lot of the custom. I brought my wife along this year who does like planes, but has no real interest. It's the first time she had seen a display from a jet with a burner which did blow her away but the difference between an RNLAF F-16 and RNoAF F-16 was largely lost on her. Even the F-4s. They were mouth wateringly good, but if they hadn't had the shark mouth, they would have been lost on my wife, despite their rarity.

We didn't go on a great deal of 'Joe Public' attractions like the big wheel, but personally, I didn't feel it hampered the experience in being there. If anything, the main frustration as an observer is how much of the centre line all the paddocks and tents take up if you just pay normal prices. But of course, without those tents, there'd probably be no RIAT.

Whilst ever we're still attending a single event with over 250 aircraft, it doesn't matter how many Waltzers or plywood UAVs attend, because it will still be 'our Glastonbury'.

Zac
Flickr Page - Mainly RAF Coningsbyhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/140105351@N07/?

Date of last RAF Tornado seen in flight - 07/03/2019 - ZD744 / 092 storming Donna Nook

Campbell89

Post by Campbell89 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:50 am

Zac Hinchcliffe wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:14 am
If anything, the main frustration as an observer is how much of the centre line all the paddocks and tents take up if you just pay normal prices. But of course, without those tents, there'd probably be no RIAT.
This was my only frustration. Trying to get to the flight line whilst in the middle of the blue zone was a nightmare. The stands and stalls could have easily been placed the other side of the static aircraft, although if this happened then the grandstands wouldn’t sell as well.

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:03 am

Zac Hinchcliffe wrote:
Yes, whilst this is an event for aviation enthusiasts, there are a lot of families, 'plane widows' and general public that attend that bring in an awful lot of the custom.
I'd suggest this is utter poppycock. RIAT is run for the public in general. I'm 100% sure that the organisers would confirm that.

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:10 am

John flightpath wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:49 pm
I can see the point that James Cutting is trying to make, however I think DBH need to be a little more commercially savvy and do more to balance up the 2 weekend days going forward. Friday should not be charged at the same price as the weekend if they are not having a display for the same amount of hours. It is a natural reaction that when we buy our early bird tickets in December and January that the expectation and anticipation begins. If those Thursday updates don't come up to our expectations, then there is a bit of disappointment creeps in. I believe its time for DBH to take a step back, think about it and improve the overall plan,and stop thinking of 'continually milking the proverbial cow'.
A bit more thought going into it would no go amiss. In doing so they could sell out the Sunday aswell.

Just thought I would put it out there.

Cheers
John 'flightpath'.
My understanding is that the Friday display was nothing more than a reaction that Saturday and Sundays were completely selling out.

I wonder whether a better solution, if it could be done, would be for the aircraft to be based at Fairford, and display there on a Saturday and Sunday, but also display at a second location such as Kemble allowing for more visitors. That would also allow them if need be to tailor each location, and even the displays for different groups of patrons.

Zac Hinchcliffe

Post by Zac Hinchcliffe » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:00 pm

ChrisCwmbran wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:03 am
Zac Hinchcliffe wrote:
Yes, whilst this is an event for aviation enthusiasts, there are a lot of families, 'plane widows' and general public that attend that bring in an awful lot of the custom.
I'd suggest this is utter poppycock. RIAT is run for the public in general. I'm 100% sure that the organisers would confirm that.
I fear you've misinterpreted my comment. I don't mean it's exclusively run for aviation enthusiasts (far from it), but surely it's target is people who at least have a passing interest in aviation or perhaps would like to inspire their children to get into a career that may lead them down the lines of engineering, design, piloting etc?

Zac

Date of last RAF Tornado seen in flight - 07/03/2019 - ZD744 / 092 storming Donna Nook

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:53 pm

Personally I'd suggest its focus is raising funds and providing a day out for absolutely anyone who fancies it.

I know a good number of people who go who couldn't tell a Typhoon from an F-35 but they still take the family every year and have since the kids were small.

Given fund raising is one of the main reasons for the event it would be interesting to see who really spends the money there..... an aviation enthusiast or a member of Joe Public.

Zac Hinchcliffe

Post by Zac Hinchcliffe » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:58 pm

ChrisCwmbran wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:53 pm

Given fund raising is one of the main reasons for the event it would be interesting to see who really spends the money there..... an aviation enthusiast or a member of Joe Public.
Yes, I've got to admit, buying fish and chips for £7.50 in 2018 and receiving what can only be described as a battered stickleback and deep fried oven chips, I only bought a single cup of tea this year.....

Zac

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:24 pm

I know what you mean, but you can understand the prices when the stalls have to pay a fee for their pitch, and pay the people that are working that weekend, they have to make profits somehow. At least there are set prices across the park, though.
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:29 pm

With the reference to food prices, there is always a price guide to food prices in the souvenir programme. So you do get some idea of the charges and slightly in defence of the traders I don't know what RIAT charge for trade pitches, but it certainly will not be cheap and then the traders have staff and lots of other costs as well. I have been going to such events like RIAT for a long time and always take my own food with me and may only buy top ups if necessary. Sorry I have repeated the comment before, but that was put on while I was typing, but it looks as if we are both singing from the same hymn sheet.

Zac Hinchcliffe

Post by Zac Hinchcliffe » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:42 pm

James Cutting wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:24 pm
I know what you mean, but you can understand the prices when the stalls have to pay a fee for their pitch, and pay the people that are working that weekend, they have to make profits somehow. At least there are set prices across the park, though.
Oh it's just 'festival prices'. Nothing that I wasn't expecting or unreasonable considering the companies need to make some profit at least (I just bring a packed lunch instead because I'm tight :whistle: ) My main annoyance was that they weren't proper chips!

Zac

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:53 pm

Yeah I know how you feel! :lol: But, tbf, the fish and chips I had were actually really nice on the Friday, loads of chips and a decent size piece of cod! :S
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:19 pm

Sadly I can't buy anything from any of the catering places :/

Return to “RIAT”