Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RIAT 2020 Cancelled

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
Tiger 1

Re: RIAT 2020 Cancelled

Post by Tiger 1 » Thu May 21, 2020 5:23 pm

Thanks James👍

Tim

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Fri May 22, 2020 11:07 am

Just a thought on my email settings which is g.mail, I've got three different in boxes Primary, Social, and Promotions. I've got an idea my email from IAT got banged in the promotions folder which is normally reserved for sales imfo etc. So anybody who is still waiting check all your email folders even the spam ones,because my system seems to have a mind of it's own where to put incoming mails.

Headancer

Post by Headancer » Sun May 24, 2020 7:55 am

Whilst the organisers have taken the decision to roll over this years admission fees I think with hindsight this may prove a retrograde step.

Every business is facing an unprecedented cash crisis.

Costs are still there and revenue has dried up, with a huge number of staff still having to be paid , there are of course constraints on the income that would have come in on airshow week end, that stream has disappeared I suspect things are looking bleaker than we all imagine.

Not only will there be a massive hole from the lack of attendance but sponsorship will be equally problematic., EADS, AIRBUS ROLLS ROYCE have handed over extraordinary amounts of cash in previous years but this will cease. These companies have an obligation to their workforce and will not be handing monies over to RIAT whilst sacking 000s at the sametime.

By retaining the admission prices for 2021 you are in effect saying costs and revenue in that period will be the same and yet we all know that is not going to be the case.

Most businesses are in a perilous state and the administrators here at RIAT and indeed at other airshows must be facing challenges which are no different.

There will be a massive black hole in finances which perhaps might have been paid for by increased admission fees but in effect a substantial contribution has now been fixed via the rollover option.

I do wonder whether a strategic plan to return all funds would have allowed the organisers the ability to increase income next year from what would be it's most loyal customer base, that opportunity has now gone. ,that said i appreciate they probably needed money in the bank now simply to cover costs this year.

It's worth adding that because the airshow business is unique you cannot raise cash in terms of shares or indeed take out loans against future income. The RIAT business model won't allow that.

How airshows deal with this is too put it mildly problematic.

Personally without a vaccine which is way over the horizon if at all i cannot see how airshows survive using that dispiriting phrase, the new normal.

Does anyone have any sensible thoughts on how they might function?

Richard B

Post by Richard B » Sun May 24, 2020 1:13 pm

Headancer wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:55 am
Whilst the organisers have taken the decision to roll over this years admission fees I think with hindsight this may prove a retrograde step.

Every business is facing an unprecedented cash crisis.

Costs are still there and revenue has dried up, with a huge number of staff still having to be paid , there are of course constraints on the income that would have come in on airshow week end, that stream has disappeared I suspect things are looking bleaker than we all imagine.

Not only will there be a massive hole from the lack of attendance but sponsorship will be equally problematic., EADS, AIRBUS ROLLS ROYCE have handed over extraordinary amounts of cash in previous years but this will cease. These companies have an obligation to their workforce and will not be handing monies over to RIAT whilst sacking 000s at the sametime.

By retaining the admission prices for 2021 you are in effect saying costs and revenue in that period will be the same and yet we all know that is not going to be the case.

Most businesses are in a perilous state and the administrators here at RIAT and indeed at other airshows must be facing challenges which are no different.

There will be a massive black hole in finances which perhaps might have been paid for by increased admission fees but in effect a substantial contribution has now been fixed via the rollover option.

I do wonder whether a strategic plan to return all funds would have allowed the organisers the ability to increase income next year from what would be it's most loyal customer base, that opportunity has now gone. ,that said i appreciate they probably needed money in the bank now simply to cover costs this year.

It's worth adding that because the airshow business is unique you cannot raise cash in terms of shares or indeed take out loans against future income. The RIAT business model won't allow that.

How airshows deal with this is too put it mildly problematic.

Personally without a vaccine which is way over the horizon if at all i cannot see how airshows survive using that dispiriting phrase, the new normal.

Does anyone have any sensible thoughts on how they might function?
Just go back to how it was run 20 years ago.

The Cat

Post by The Cat » Sun May 24, 2020 3:16 pm

If only we could. Drive in, park up and have your car as a base. Certainly better for social distancing than queuing to get in for an hour

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Mon May 25, 2020 6:09 am

Richard & The Cat: precisely why we stopped going ;)

Suffered one year of parking off-base and tramping with all our gear for ages to shuffle through 'security' and vowed never again :@

Waddo always did it the proper way, right up to the last in 2014 :thumbs:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Headancer

Post by Headancer » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:45 am

As we move to what would have been RIAT weekend we seemingly are still
no nearer any guidelines on mass audience attendances.

The UK had an impressive track record of producing a number of excellent airshows right around the country, is nobody concerned that the infrastructure at many of these events may not outlast the pandemic?

I'm not sure it will simply be a case of switching the taps on in 2021 ?

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:49 am

To be honest I think most people are interested in surviving the pandemic rather than the infrastructure of an airshow.

Leuchars Fan

Post by Leuchars Fan » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:35 pm

Headancer wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:45 am
As we move to what would have been RIAT weekend we seemingly are still
no nearer any guidelines on mass audience attendances.

The UK had an impressive track record of producing a number of excellent airshows right around the country, is nobody concerned that the infrastructure at many of these events may not outlast the pandemic?

I'm not sure it will simply be a case of switching the taps on in 2021 ?
I'm sure this is being considered in detail. Let's just see what happens between now and next month, never mind now and next Summer.

LF

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:40 pm

What are you expecting/hopeful to happen between now and next month? Whatever it is , I suspect you may be disappointed.

Leuchars Fan

Post by Leuchars Fan » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:47 pm

Nighthawke wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:40 pm
What are you expecting/hopeful to happen between now and next month? Whatever it is , I suspect you may be disappointed.
Quite possibly, I'm not making predictions, there's enough of that going on.

LF

TomG

Post by TomG » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:43 am

paddyboy wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:09 am
Richard & The Cat: precisely why we stopped going ;)

Suffered one year of parking off-base and tramping with all our gear for ages to shuffle through 'security' and vowed never again :@

Waddo always did it the proper way, right up to the last in 2014 :thumbs:
Certainly not ideal formally however this was a situation that was out of the organisers hands PB, off-base parking was a USAF requirement.

Tom

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:13 am

Certainly not blaming the organisers, Tom ;)

We made enquiries and soon found out who insisted on the farce being put in place :grr:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

TomG

Post by TomG » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:49 am

paddyboy wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:13 am
Certainly not blaming the organisers, Tom ;)

We made enquiries and soon found out who insisted on the farce being put in place :grr:
Didn't think that PB, just adding a bit to the discussion.

Cheers, Tom

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:44 pm

https://www.air-shows.org.uk/2020/07/ai ... l-support/

Article would seem to confirm tickets for RIAT 2021 will be on sale this weekend.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:02 pm

Interesting... I already have my tickets rolled over so I might actually add the Friday on this year.

What enclosures are usually open on Friday? I assume just FRIAT and Grandstand/Garden?
AirshowsNI

2022 Airshows
Queens Jubilee Flypast
Cosford
RIAT
Portrush

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:40 pm

Tickets for 2021 are now on sale.

Return to “RIAT”