Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

CANCELLED Royal International Air Tattoo 2021 - General Discussion Thread

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
jasonT1981

CANCELLED Royal International Air Tattoo 2021 - General Discussion Thread

Post by jasonT1981 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:18 pm

Tickets have gone on sale for the 2021 Air Tattoo.
As a token of our gratitude for your on-going support - and to make sure as many people as possible can join us next summer - we are holding our 2020 admission ticket prices for 2021. You can purchase your tickets HERE.
AirshowsNI

2022 Airshows
Queens Jubilee Flypast
Cosford
RIAT
Portrush

page_verify

Re: Royal International Air Tattoo 2021 - Tickets on sale

Post by page_verify » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:40 am

If anyone knows of someone who's already bought a RIAT 2021 ticket, please do let me know who, I'd like to ask them for some lottery numbers.

red leader

Post by red leader » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:12 pm

I should think it's very unlikely to happen. I would think 2022 is your earliest chance. This event takes months to organise if not the best part of a year. With no sign of Covid going anywhere and international event on that scale with those numbers would be s big no!!

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:39 pm

It seems pretty clear that Covid is a seasonal disease.

Bear in mind as well that excess deaths are still around average for this time of year. I think its incredibly unlikely that there'll be an unusually bad health situation come the Spring, let alone the Summer. When you consider that RIAT is virtually all outdoor, and is held on an absolutely huge showground where social distancing (with a bit of thought) could be made easy - there's no reason it should be cancelled. Nevertheless, with all the uncertainty, I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

red leader

Post by red leader » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:04 pm

The problem is the huge international factor. The risks are much greater. A large percentage of crowd are from overseas.
If it's gonna go ahead they need to have the all clear now cause they can't start planning it in the spring.
The lead time is the critical factor. No air forces are gonna say yes to supporting it in this climate especially overseas ones. There's too much uncertainty to plan anything this big.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:09 pm

Maybe i'm kidding myself, but given that international air arms are stil engaging in military exercises - I wonder if there's a chance they will put the event on but totally isolate the participating crews from the crowd. I visited a motor racing event a couple of weeks ago and the paddock was totally off limits to all spectators. It actually worked very well.

red leader

Post by red leader » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:55 pm

Maybe it could be done. I guess I'm just thinking in terms of how it's done now.

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:43 pm

Sorry to rain on your parade ("for inpection, open-order...march" of course to maintain social distancing! But there is one big reason why it wouldn't work and that is the same one that has caused this second lockdown - people just don't adhere to the advice/guidance/rules. OK many do but the small percentage that do not represent a significant number. Just because something can be done, unfortunately does not mean it will work.
Realist not cynic (fine line but I know which side I am on for this one).

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:08 am

Bang on the money, as usual, Ian :thumbs:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

John flightpath

Post by John flightpath » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:49 am

I'm with Paddy and Nighthawke on this one. I have a ticket,diferred from this year. Think it will be deferred again.

Cheers
John 'flightpath'.
Equipment
Canon EOS 750D

Sigma APO OS DG 150-500mm
Canon 55-250 IS STM Lens
Sigma APO DG 70-300 lens

page_verify

Post by page_verify » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:15 pm

There's a couple of considerations that influence how RIAT 2021 may happen.

In a normal year, RIAT would by now have:
  • quite a bit of money from advanced ticket sales, which you might expect it'd need for deposits, bookings or buying things needed to run the show.
  • had some large aerospace companies pledging sponsorship.
  • large companies booking VIP tables for customer networking events.
  • confidence that all its suppliers still exist in July and that it wouldn't be left without any portaloos because its supplier went out of business a month before the show.

I wonder if this lack of cash is why RAFCFE has recently mortgaged its building and land at Fairford? But, is it so desperate than £600k or so will make all the difference or is it looking down the side of every sofa for every last penny right now?

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:14 pm

MiG_Eater wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:39 pm

Bear in mind as well that excess deaths are still around average for this time of year. I think its incredibly unlikely that there'll be an unusually bad health situation come the Spring, let alone the Summer. When you consider that RIAT is virtually all outdoor, and is held on an absolutely huge showground where social distancing (with a bit of thought) could be made easy - there's no reason it should be cancelled. Nevertheless, with all the uncertainty, I wouldn't be surprised if it is.
I am curious as to your definition of the term seasonal? It has been with us for the late winter, spring, summer, autumn and now into the start of winter, that, by my reckoning, is 5 seasons so far
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

red leader

Post by red leader » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:51 pm

I think it's very unlikely to happen. For it to happen now even if the virus disappeared would be tricky. The fact is that 3 months of planning and organising time have already been lost so they would really be having to work to extra tight timescales.
I can't see foreign air forces committing anything apart from high flypasts. They won't be wanting to land and certainly not be on static.
I think some of the smaller airshows in the UK might get away with it but not RIAT. The numbers of people and participation dwarf any other aviation event in the UK!!!

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:11 pm

I'm not holding my breath anymore. Even (if) we see the back of Covid, there's bound to be a serious knock-on effect to the airshow industry in general. With the exception of established venues like Old Warden I fear that we may have seen the last of some of the regular favourite shows :(

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:50 am

bizfreeq wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:14 pm
MiG_Eater wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:39 pm

I am curious as to your definition of the term seasonal? It has been with us for the late winter, spring, summer, autumn and now into the start of winter, that, by my reckoning, is 5 seasons so far
Well so has Flu, but that's seasonal.

Look at the ONS figures - during the Summer months Covid deaths were extremely low. Lower than Flu and Pneumonia, and excess deaths were well below average.

Bilvo

Post by Bilvo » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:18 pm

red leader wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:51 pm
I think it's very unlikely to happen. For it to happen now even if the virus disappeared would be tricky. The fact is that 3 months of planning and organising time have already been lost so they would really be having to work to extra tight timescales.
I can't see foreign air forces committing anything apart from high flypasts. They won't be wanting to land and certainly not be on static.
I think some of the smaller airshows in the UK might get away with it but not RIAT. The numbers of people and participation dwarf any other aviation event in the UK!!!
Whilst there's nothing wrong with being an optimist lets face it, RIAT will be cancelled for next year there really isn't any debate to be had. Foreign air arms including the US will not be able to commit any assets and as you've already too much planning time already lost. European events for next year are already being cancelled as will in time RIAT 2021. COVID could be worse next year, not better.

With the government plans for Christmas in the UK I have no doubt we will see a third wave which will hit in January, maybe two weeks after Christmas as we just enter the depths of Winter (we are currently in Autumn for those who think that Winter has already started - 21st December is winter solstice, i.e. the start of Winter).

RIAT 2021, not happening.
Survival of the Fittest.

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:31 pm

We do not know yet so let's just wait and see.

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:28 pm

They'll be planning for RIAT to go ahead next year, that's one thing for sure. Even says the following on their site:
Please be assured that throughout the build-up to the 2021 airshow, and on the day, we shall adhere to all advice issued by the Government relating to COVID-19 and the organisation of large, public outdoor events to ensure the Royal International Air Tattoo 2021 is both safe and hugely successful.
Whilst it is "possibly unlikely" to happen, could you imagine the absolute uproar if it was deemed that RIAT could happen next year, yet it can't because they didn't plan for it?! :roll:

2021 - The year of no expectations. Anything we can do events wise next year, whatever the scale, is a nice win. :)
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

Challenger007

Post by Challenger007 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:58 am

James Cutting wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:28 pm
They'll be planning for RIAT to go ahead next year, that's one thing for sure. Even says the following on their site:
Please be assured that throughout the build-up to the 2021 airshow, and on the day, we shall adhere to all advice issued by the Government relating to COVID-19 and the organisation of large, public outdoor events to ensure the Royal International Air Tattoo 2021 is both safe and hugely successful.
Whilst it is "possibly unlikely" to happen, could you imagine the absolute uproar if it was deemed that RIAT could happen next year, yet it can't because they didn't plan for it?! :roll:

2021 - The year of no expectations. Anything we can do events wise next year, whatever the scale, is a nice win. :)
I think that if there is an effective vaccine against COVID-19, then in 2021 we will gradually be able to return to the usual rhythm of life, various events will be held and we will be able to attend them without fear.

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:01 pm

Agreed
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

Return to “RIAT”