Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RIAT '22 Tickets

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
Farmeruk1982

Re: RIAT '22 Tickets

Post by Farmeruk1982 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:55 pm

Newbie here, I am taking my son aged 12, who is a huge Aeroplane enthusiast. I am wanting to find out if it is worth paying extra for the grandstand seating etc and any other relevant information that can make his and my trip more memorable.

We will be traveling by car and will be staying at Tangerine Fields, which I believe is close by.

Any information is very much appreciated.

Thankyou

Red-Eye-Knight

Post by Red-Eye-Knight » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:15 pm

Farmeruk1982 wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:55 pm
Newbie here, I am taking my son aged 12, who is a huge Aeroplane enthusiast. I am wanting to find out if it is worth paying extra for the grandstand seating etc and any other relevant information that can make his and my trip more memorable.

We will be traveling by car and will be staying at Tangerine Fields, which I believe is close by.

Thankyou
Hi Farmeruk

Grandstand seating is for FRIAT members most of the other areas for seating are usually sold out by now best thing I can advise is take a couple of camping chairs and take a spot along the line of the runway as there is plenty of room.

Also a good idea to turn up early, 1st because the queues are massive and people queue from 6am or earlier, 2nd if you want a good spot right at the front then getting in early is always advised.

Tangerine Fields is very close by just a 5 minute walk to the base.

Are you just going the 1 day or more?

Farmeruk1982

Post by Farmeruk1982 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:14 pm

Thanks for the reply Knight.

We will be arriving Froday afternoon and staying till Sunday, so two full days. Really looking forward to it and spending two days with my lad is fantastic to.

I've read a few people advising to go about 6am to get good spots.

Now just to sort out my camping equipment and a decent camera.

Thanks

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:59 pm

The public grandstand is great. I have always gone for it on the Saturday (And Friday this year) Gives you an almost unobstructed view (FRIAT grandstand blocks the public grandstands view of the start of aircrafts starting up and rolling for take off). Sold out for Saturday and FRIAT is also sold out for the weekend.

On the Sunday I do Pimms, which is great for seating, but it is expensive. Best thing I can advise is get there early with a couple of chairs of your own, head further up the runway and get a spot in the Green Zone. I did that in 2017 and had a very good view.
AirshowsNI

2022 Airshows
Queens Jubilee Flypast
Cosford
RIAT
Portrush

Red-Eye-Knight

Post by Red-Eye-Knight » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:12 pm

Farmeruk1982 wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:14 pm
Thanks for the reply Knight.

We will be arriving Froday afternoon and staying till Sunday, so two full days. Really looking forward to it and spending two days with my lad is fantastic to.

I've read a few people advising to go about 6am to get good spots.

Now just to sort out my camping equipment and a decent camera.

Thanks
That's no problem Farmer always glad to help especially when it comes to RIAT as there really is no other airshow like it.

Only other thing I can advise if you have the money is a scanner for your young lad to listen into the aircraft you can get a decent one from about £90 upwards.

Anything else you need to ask feel free and I will help out however I can :D :thumbs:

Farmeruk1982

Post by Farmeruk1982 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:16 pm

Thanks for the reply. It's been very much appreciated.

Campbell89

Post by Campbell89 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:09 am

Morning Farmer, if your sons anything like mine then I’d say the just regular entry tickets are best. I’ve only been to RIAT once in 2019 but there was so much going on that you’d miss a lot if you spent the day in the grandstand.

With a general admission ticket you get the best of both worlds, you can move along the runway to get a spot that suites you, you can walk around the stalls, meet the air crews, go aboard the static aircraft (C-17’s, A400m, Ospreys, Voyager are a few we went on) all without feeling that money on the grandstand is potentially wasted.

Personally I’d advise doing 2 days at least to make the most of the static stuff and the flying, it was a very tiring day last time!

Red-Eye-Knight

Post by Red-Eye-Knight » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:30 am

Campbell89 wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:09 am
Morning Farmer, if your sons anything like mine then I’d say the just regular entry tickets are best. I’ve only been to RIAT once in 2019 but there was so much going on that you’d miss a lot if you spent the day in the grandstand.

With a general admission ticket you get the best of both worlds, you can move along the runway to get a spot that suites you, you can walk around the stalls, meet the air crews, go aboard the static aircraft (C-17’s, A400m, Ospreys, Voyager are a few we went on) all without feeling that money on the grandstand is potentially wasted.

Personally I’d advise doing 2 days at least to make the most of the static stuff and the flying, it was a very tiring day last time!
You should try doing all 6 days that is even worse for being tired.

2e1var

Post by 2e1var » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:21 am

Farmeruk1982 wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:55 pm

Thankyou
The guy who said grandstand is for FRIAT is wrong, there's one you can go in without FRIAT, the viewing village. Personally I go for the garden rather than the grandstand, pull up a chair/table and plenty of space. The grandstand you usually get some bloke with a big lens munching cheese and onion sandwiches in his parker coat banging your elbows all day :)
UBC-15X, 800XLT, 3500XLT, VT-225, Airspy R2/Mini/SDR#, RSP1A/SDR Uno

UK Radio Scanners Facebook Group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1451306941772699

wessexspotter

Post by wessexspotter » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:39 am

Surprised that there are still tickets available for the Saturday and Sunday. I would have thought they'd have all bee snapped up given the huge pent up demand for all things airshowy.

ConorAvPXX

Post by ConorAvPXX » Wed May 25, 2022 6:51 am

Very big long shot…Does anyone have a Monday ticket going spare at all? Missed buying it because I was waiting for annual leave to be approved!
Any help would be really greatly appreciated and will happily pay face value!

Many thanks!!

Mikey1050

Post by Mikey1050 » Mon May 30, 2022 8:00 pm

ConorAvPXX wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 6:51 am
Very big long shot…Does anyone have a Monday ticket going spare at all? Missed buying it because I was waiting for annual leave to be approved!
Any help would be really greatly appreciated and will happily pay face value!

Many thanks!!
Hi, I never realised that departures day sold that quick !! :( I too am in desperate need for two Monday tickets !
Obviously after you have yours !!!
And obviously I too would pay at least face value.

Mikey1050

Post by Mikey1050 » Mon May 30, 2022 8:13 pm

In preparation for the very real fact that I may never get Monday tickets, does anyone here know if it is worth even trying to catch some take offs from outside the base ? Obviously I wouldn't be expecting to park outside, I would be on foot from somewhere away from Fairford.
I've never done departures day and was so looking forward to it, as they say though . . . . You sleep - you weep !

Red-Eye-Knight

Post by Red-Eye-Knight » Mon May 30, 2022 8:53 pm

I know from park and view east you can see the aircraft taxi to the runway from Welford Road but not sure about the West end of the base plus it depends what way wind is blowing on that day for what runway they use could be runway 09 could be 27, If they take off from 09 they go right over Welford Road if from 27 it will be other end I don't really know about.

Hope this helps a little.

mushbuster

Post by mushbuster » Mon May 30, 2022 9:35 pm

Mikey1050 wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 8:13 pm
In preparation for the very real fact that I may never get Monday tickets, does anyone here know if it is worth even trying to catch some take offs from outside the base ? Obviously I wouldn't be expecting to park outside, I would be on foot from somewhere away from Fairford.
I've never done departures day and was so looking forward to it, as they say though . . . . You sleep - you weep !
There are usually park and view tickets held back to sell on the day to prevent a traffic snarl up, these are in addition to the allocation that is sold in advance. If you want to risk these then its an early start to arrive 0600-0700, but you need to keep an eye out for what is happening with the ticket sales on the day as best you can. As for turning up and trying to wait on Welford Rd (or at the crash gates and west end) you will probably be moved on pretty quickly so it is at best risky. West end there is no visibility of the airfield from the road north of Marston Meysey.

Mikey1050

Post by Mikey1050 » Mon May 30, 2022 9:43 pm

Thanks to you both for your helpful replies. The turn up early idea seems the most promising. I'm only staying half hour away so it shouldn't be too difficult !! 🤣😅

stealth117

Post by stealth117 » Tue May 31, 2022 10:27 am

We went in for departures one year at the 27 end and paid on the day, we stayed at totterdown so obviously didn't take long to get there so not sure how many tickets there are available. I will say though we didn't really enjoy it that much as there are alot of selfish people that push in once something good taxis round or is taking off. The following year we just parked on the airfield and stayed at the car at the 09 end, probably shouldn't say this but we didn't buy a ticket and sat there for a few hours before heading home. Also one year we parked in a field outside used for airshow days again at the 09 end. I would never pay to go inside and to the fenceline on departures day again due to other peoples selfishness. I will probably get some grief off someone for this post but this is only my opinion and i wouldn't pay for something if i enjoyed it better outside with less people around. I would however be tempted to pay and sit at the car at the 09 end again as i dont think it detracted from my personal enjoyment of the day and you still had a decent view of departing aircraft once they are airborne

Supra

Post by Supra » Tue May 31, 2022 11:25 am

Not being judgmental here but, "and you still had a decent view of departing aircraft once they are airborne" is perhaps the stinging comment here. Since most all modern aircraft are abundantly powered super-dynamic lift designs these days the rate of climb after lift-off can be rather disappointing at the far end of the duty runway! The subject aircraft can be very high or have even executed a performance take-off. FRIAT is therefore increasingly the essential location on a Monday! :'(
Yes there are 'heavies' & a few historic jets that still wheeze to get airborne, but mainly the fixed-wing stuff gets-up & gets-going. Increasingly the mandatory Air Traffic departure instruction for 'climb straight ahead with No non-standard manoeuvres' has vastly limited photo opportunities from proletariat viewing areas on Departure Day. :(

stealth117

Post by stealth117 » Tue May 31, 2022 12:10 pm

To be fair mate, i think i was happy with the view from the 09 end but thats in comparison to staying on totterdown for departures which there is no point in doing. I get what you mean about the newer stuff being up and away though and the amount of restrictions in place to stop pilots showing off a little is a bit disappointing.
Im not sure i will be staying for departures this year though as i will be taking my little boy with me for his first riat. Think he will need his ear defenders glued to his head for the week but he absolutely loves aircraft and as soon as he hears anything hes running around pointing and shouting "plane" 😂
May end up taking him to cotswold wildlife park on the way home instead.

Looking forward to it now 👍

Deramore

Post by Deramore » Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:55 am

Can anyone confirm if Richard Arquati and Laura Hooper are still heading up the media/comms team. Its obviously been 3 years so i wonder if they moved on.

I have a question but emails, tel calls go answered, i wonder if they are short staffed ?

Return to “RIAT”