Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Royal International Air Tattoo 2022 - General Discussion Thread

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
Leuchars Fan

Re: Royal International Air Tattoo 2022 - General Discussion Thread

Post by Leuchars Fan » Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:54 pm

SteveT wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:48 pm
Great effort by the organisers to attract quite a few interesting foreign visitors.

However, I can imagine they were disappointed by the turn out of the home side this year - fewer than 30 active British military aircraft, plus the Red Arrows. No RAF/RN Lightnings in the static display, which would have been a crowd pleaser, yet the Americans were happy to send one...

Perhaps it's a sign of the times, where commitments mean there's not much spare anymore? Or maybe the budget was blown on the impressive Jubilee flypast?

Once upon a time events like this were seen as hugely powerful recruiting tools, and an awe-inspiring line-up of fighters and bombers would stir the ambitions of many a schoolchild.

We've lost Navy Days due to the bean-counter's budget cuts. It would be sad to think that a similar sort of apathy were to undermine RIAT, a show many people look forward to.
Is the Yeovilton air day confirmed as never to return? I thought the expectation was they would return next year?

LF

CourtneyBlockley

Post by CourtneyBlockley » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:44 am

Thanks for all the contributions to this thread, I’d been following eagerly in the lead up to the show before signing up to the forum.

Already looking forward to a longer visit next year. Fingers crossed for getting to the chance to finally see a B1/2/52 flying.

saint1

Post by saint1 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:18 pm

Hi all, I have put a short video of some RIAT22 highlights in the Video Section (incl the E-4B!) for those interested.
Cheers Saint1

Return to “RIAT”