Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Raf aircraft on static display

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
scotty2681

Raf aircraft on static display

Post by scotty2681 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:33 pm

I'm abit puzzled in the thinking behind the parking of Raf aircraft for static display and flying display.

The Red Arrows were way over on the otherside of the airfield where no one could watch them do the pre-display walk round, strap in and blues see off.
The Typhoon display jet 'black jack' also parked over that side so no one could get any good photos.
One of the Raf newest aircraft the Poseidon MRA1 was parked as far away from the centre as possible. You would think with this being the Raf new sub hunter it would be given a decent spot. I only knew it was on the airfield as I know some people on the squadrons at Lossie.

John flightpath

Re: Raf aircraft on static display

Post by John flightpath » Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:37 pm

The same thing ocurred to me about the Poseidon. However it may have been parked there in case it had to return to Lossie in a hurry or it was simply a late arrival due to operational commitments.

Cheers
John 'flightpath'.
Equipment
Canon EOS 750D

Sigma APO OS DG 150-500mm
Canon 55-250 IS STM Lens
Sigma APO DG 70-300 lens

Campbell89

Post by Campbell89 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:46 pm

To be honest everything the far end where the Poseidon was seemed a bit, for want of a better word, sparse. Maybe the static B-52 was meant to be up here also and it seemed more spacious with it being missing. Saying that, got some nice views of the F-16’s and F/A-18’s being prepped up the west end.

Still really enjoyed the show and had an amazing weekend.

Bobby 1211

Post by Bobby 1211 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:05 pm

I didn't even bother going up to the end to see the P-8, instead walking in the direction of the E-4. I also felt bad for the epilson crews as they were friendly and happy to answer any questions but the placement made them quite unpopular. Another one that I don't quite understand is the Jordan C-130, why was it parked in such a **** spot which made it hard to photograph, especially when it had a special paint scheme.

Mustang531

Post by Mustang531 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:52 am

I did wander down to the far end and great to see the E-4B and Luftwaffe A340, also the Japanese C-2 and Brazilian KC-390. But as said, there were some smaller types and fighters of interest. There weren't many people about either. When the crews return home and get debriefed, the feedback might be a bit negative as they could say that there was little interaction with the public and could discourage attending again. But I think it's worth mentioning that a lot of those attending aren't spotters or photographers and just want to go and watch the flying display. Those will want to be somewhere around the central point of the runway. It's up to RIAT to think about the layout of the site. Unfortunately these days it's not like the early days at Greenham Common and what you see is a commercial enterprise in action.

POL

Post by POL » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:14 am

For the record dad and I spent about 15 minutes speaking to the Italian MB339CD pilot who had had a fantastic time and was very keen to come back next year, so he didn't seem to have an issue with where they were parked!

mirage 2000

Post by mirage 2000 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:14 am

All i can say is i walked up to that end twice. Once being late afternoon and it was still busy with people and a lot of people chatting to the crews including my self, I spoke also with the MB339CD pilot and the Epilson crews and they where very happy to chat and wanted to come back next year. Same with the E4 crews i spoke to a Security and a Pilot and they loved that fact how we love Aviation over this side of the pond not like back at home. This was there first ever overseas Airshow and they also said they would love to come back next year.

wessexspotter

Post by wessexspotter » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:28 am

Err one of RAF Herc crew I spoke to was a bit grumpy about being parked so far away from the 'RAF village'. Should've got in earlier then...

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:47 pm

Whilst I was up that end on the three occasions I ventured that far on Saturday, it was packed with people and where there were pilots and crew by an aircraft, every one had a good crowd chatting and answering questions. I really don't see the problem with any one or any type of aircraft being down that end as it is one of the major entrance and exit points of the show
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

Red-Eye-Knight

Post by Red-Eye-Knight » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:27 pm

The only static I did not like was the was the German Orion a Cassa C-295 and the Coast Guard plane, Why on earth were they so close together and all 1 behind each other? Made it very difficult to photo.

Have to agree about the Jordanian Hercules it could have been a bit further out to see the special tail.

Red-Eye-Knight

Post by Red-Eye-Knight » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:28 pm

Campbell89 wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:46 pm
To be honest everything the far end where the Poseidon was seemed a bit, for want of a better word, sparse. Maybe the static B-52 was meant to be up here also and it seemed more spacious with it being missing. Saying that, got some nice views of the F-16’s and F/A-18’s being prepped up the west end.

Still really enjoyed the show and had an amazing weekend.
The static B-52 was going to be beside the B-17 as the said so on last years virtual air tattoo.

Return to “RIAT”