Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Threat To Future Airshows ???

Post information relating to Farnborough here.
B58

Threat To Future Airshows ???

Post by B58 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:05 pm

Hi just a thought regarding the sad demise of the Pystock turbine research area on the north western side of the airfield, it has been decided that the area will become a housing estate instead of a distribution warehouse, i would of thought this would hamper the flying display even further. Shorly an area like this needs to be protected against any development, we have already lost so much aviation heritage around here. If anyone has any views on the subject make them heard please or is it just me!!!

eagle driver

Re: Threat To Future Airshows ???

Post by eagle driver » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:43 am

Correct me if I am wrong on this but currently I believe there is no agreement to carry on with the SBAC show after 2018 anyway.
And any subsequent shows would be under a new agreement so it seems likely that next year will be the last ,knowing that TAG want SBAC out of Farnbourgh and have done for several years.

Supra

Post by Supra » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:45 am

Coffin & final nail spring to mind! Last year's charade, especially the situation whereby even the Reds can't display makes the venue for SBAC Farnborough untenable in the previous format. As a Trade show only with off-airfied customer demo's, yes it works. For ground-based customer demonstration/ public display flying...NO!
With such a short Agreement to host this remaining, why invest so heavily in permanent infrastructure recently? That's the domain of the Military! New fence, re-surfaced runway, close the location for house-building? ( or TAG Empire-building in this case) :whistle:

the concerned

Post by the concerned » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:07 am

Why not combine riat and Farnborough at one venue over 10days

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:54 am

Good luck finding an airfield big enough for that.

peasus911

Post by peasus911 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:08 am

If 2018 is the last year someone better tell the builders of the new Permanent Hall one being built at a cost of £30M. :whistle:

sneezy24

Post by sneezy24 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:15 am

Farnborough is not primarily an airshow, it is a SALES event with some flying displays tacked on the end.

I have been to several in the past, but last years was very disappointing from an air show point of view (OK, it was Friday, but previous years have been much better).

The location of Farnborough is not good from the point of view of air show safety, but is good for a trade show.

Does anyone have any experience of Paris? Is the air show good? (I know that Paris is also primarily a sales event, just wondering)

However, I did spend a fair bit of time in the pavilions (I went on Friday) and enjoyed seeing the exhibits and talking to some of the people on stand.

You can't compare it with a normal show.

RIAT continues to be excellent, I'll continue going (thinking about FRIAT next year if the boss approves).
Canon EOS 80D
Canon 70-300 USM II
Canon 18-135 USM
Uniden 125XLT
Canon 50mm 1.8
Panasonic Lumix TZ70

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:27 am

Only did Paris twice - 2003 & 2005. Trade show with some flying demonstrations same as Farnborough. If you want to see several hours of mainly military hardware being thrown around the sky then go to a military themed airshow. If that is what you want then Farnborough or any other trade show is probably not for you.

Flightline UK

Post by Flightline UK » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:33 pm

Going back to the original post, the Pystock Area fell outside of the "aerobatic" display area of the 2016 show and was subject to normal rules of the air. (ie It was treated much like the other built-up and publically accessible areas around the airfield.

Return to “Farnborough”