Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Farnborough Airshow scrubbing Public Days

Post information relating to Farnborough here.
peasus911

Farnborough Airshow scrubbing Public Days

Post by peasus911 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:27 pm

ITV News have just reported on the proposed scrapping of the public days for next years show. A spokesman for the organisers cited post Shoreham change of rules and the fact that they lost money last year as main reasons. He went on by saying the idea was to now try to incorporate some public admission into last trade day on Friday. Will be interesting to see what the next few month's bring us in the way of updates. A very sad day indeed..... :(

PeteHemsley

Re: Farnboroiugh Airshow scrubbing Public Days

Post by PeteHemsley » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:54 pm

The fact is is that Farnborough is expanding massively. With new housing estates and big businesses popping up around the fence line and Gulfstream begining to build their new maintenance centre with large hangars and up to 350 staff, it's just no longer a place to host an airshow.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:06 am

It is still a great shame to me though

The 1972 ( at Ieast I hope it was) show was the first show I went to on my own on the train - I still remember being amazed by the F-15 demonstration.

The organizers are saying that they received a lot of negative feedback re the 2018 display. My opinion is that they should ignore social media and continue to do the best they can do within the post Shoreham display rules. Use a bit of imagination and ingenuity to put on a show within the confines of Farnborough - don't just give up

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:17 am

Have to say the last two Farnborough shows I went to were pretty dull, decided a few years ago to not bother again. This comes as no surprise given ever tightening display rules and the increasingly business focussed nature of the airfield.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:59 am

slogen51 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:06 am
It is still a great shame to me though

The 1972 ( at Ieast I hope it was) show was the first show I went to on my own on the train - I still remember being amazed by the F-15 demonstration.

The organizers are saying that they received a lot of negative feedback re the 2018 display. My opinion is that they should ignore social media and continue to do the best they can do within the post Shoreham display rules. Use a bit of imagination and ingenuity to put on a show within the confines of Farnborough - don't just give up
Sorry Slogen but I think you will find it was the 1974 show when one of the prototype F-15's, 71-0291, first appeared at Farnborough

slogen51

Re: Farnborough Airshow scrubbing Public Days

Post by slogen51 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:20 am

I think you are probably right - I only started in 72 so probably missed it but I will dig out my old logs for something to do

Some of the old films of Farnborough from the 50s and 60s are incredible , a different era.

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:56 am

It is a shame that such a long running event has had to end. Surely some where along the line the planning authorities are at fault for allowing the area next to an airfield to become so built up.

Adamss

Post by Adamss » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:29 pm

I think it was always going to happen as the airfield changed. There seems to be more of a Farnborough “presence” at RIAT nowadays. Real shame...

baz1

Post by baz1 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:00 pm

i remember back in the day it was televised on a Sunday with Raymond Baxter i used to enjoy that.
Comfortably Numb

Return to “Farnborough”