Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Possible end to the Farnborough Air Show

Post information relating to Farnborough here.
welshandy

Possible end to the Farnborough Air Show

Post by welshandy » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:22 am

Being reported that due to this https://publicaccess.rushmoor.gov.uk/on ... YPvyL2moUI
The Farnborough air Show is to finish.

CHINOOKER

Re: Possible end to the Farnborough Air Show

Post by CHINOOKER » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:34 am

Bit suicidal for the local council/community if true!. Although it has become quite a restricted show with regard to air displays etc, it is still a massive “earner” for the local community,with regard to hotels/hospitality etc,etc....much,much more than a few on site stages/chalets!

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:08 pm

Quite the contrary, I think you will find that this is the best news the local communities have had. Traffic in the area around Farnborough was horrendous whilst the show was on.

Alf

Post by Alf » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:23 pm

CHINOOKER wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:34 am
Bit suicidal for the local council/community if true!. Although it has become quite a restricted show with regard to air displays etc, it is still a massive “earner” for the local community,with regard to hotels/hospitality etc,etc....much,much more than a few on site stages/chalets!
Surely having something that is used every week of the year rather than 1 week a year is going to be of more benefit to the local community?

Supra

Post by Supra » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:51 pm

Surely those that have invested heavily on infrastructure 'presumed' to be associated with the British Aviation Showcase venue, must have a cunning Plan B? (the Aviator Hotel & permanent giant exhibition building for example?) :whistle:
I haven't had a great deal of interest in Farnborough since the amount of housing & commercial development allowed close to the north western boundary made the airfield patently unsafe for demonstration flying. For many UK venues the increased display distance from the crowd-line merely moves the potential accident / emergency recovery mainly off the airfield! :roll: :grr:

CHINOOKER

Post by CHINOOKER » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:53 pm

The planning application states that it is a “temporary” change of use until August 2024....nothing after that! Ok,so you build film sets/sound stages/temporary accommodation etc, but more than likely the planning approval will require the site to be reverted back to how it is today!. It is also very unlikely that many local people will be employed there...my son works at Pinewood Studios and although they employ their own people, when a large project is ongoing, much is bought in from elsewhere. With regard to “Farnborough International”, they could always move somewhere else,...
there has been much talk previously on here combining it with RIAT for example. Biggin Hill could possibly be another, but like the saying goes...”when it’s gone, it’s gone”
Having lived in Woking for many a year,I fully appreciate the locals concerns re-traffic and the dangers of aircraft displaying overhead etc, even if it is only for two weeks. However in my opinion, there is a lot to be lost for the local community.... “Farnborough” is synonymous with aviation and the exhibition,in much the same way Paris/Dubai is and to lose that “kudos” may not be beneficial long term! Time will tell if this is a good or bad move by the council!

PeteHemsley

Post by PeteHemsley » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:57 pm

Temporarily gives people time to forget the show altogether!

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:24 am

if this happens then you would imagine Paris will go the same way? Never been to Farnborough unfortunately did Paris one Year though, good Aircraft but wasn't impressed by the organisation still regret never attended a Farnbourgh even just to compare.

Alf

Post by Alf » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:45 am

Unknown74 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:24 am
if this happens then you would imagine Paris will go the same way? Never been to Farnborough unfortunately did Paris one Year though, good Aircraft but wasn't impressed by the organisation still regret never attended a Farnbourgh even just to compare.
Or it might give Paris a boost as the only major European Industry show, they could go to annual rather than bi-annual..

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:06 am

One has to remember that Farnborough, and Paris et al are not airshows as per RIAT, or Mildenhall etc., they're trade shows. I've attended both in my role in the aerospace industry, and...... incidentally I found the quails eggs and champagne very well organised in Paris......... not wishing to be flippant but my point is these shows are akin to say the Geneva Motor Show, Southampton International Boat show, Paris Fashion week etc etc. It's where indistry showcases it's products, it's where deals are "formally" signed and announced, where the heads of indutry and customers are hosted as part of the process. There is a need for it in some way, shape or form, and if not at Farnborough, then other countries will sieze that gap in the calendar I suspect.

Doughnut

Post by Doughnut » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:42 am

I am no expert on the film industry but assume a "sound stage" will be designed to keep the sound in and allow perfect recording. Lets hope the next planning permission is not to restrict the flying due to them being the noisy neighbours.

Vulture 01

Post by Vulture 01 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:12 pm

https://www.pprune.org/aviation-history ... w-end.html

Here's the view of some aviation professionals. Interesting reading!

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:26 pm

Vulture 01 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:12 pm
https://www.pprune.org/aviation-history ... w-end.html

Here's the view of some aviation professionals. Interesting reading!
I do see one misinformed individual on that conversation who believes it's still a UK manufacturers trade show, that changed a long way back!

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:56 pm

That would be one very small and quite dull event to say the least!

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:04 pm

I personally don't think Farnborough Show will really be missed (imho). The last really good event held there was in 1992 when the Russians turned up en masse with lots of wonderful delights. The SBAC show had since seemed to go downhill, clashing with RIAT every other year.

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:38 pm

roughcutter wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:04 pm
I personally don't think Farnborough Show will really be missed (imho). The last really good event held there was in 1992 when the Russians turned up en masse with lots of wonderful delights. The SBAC show had since seemed to go downhill, clashing with RIAT every other year.
I'm not so sure it "clashed" with RIAT, surely it was brought to a date to run next to RIAT to allow for manufacturers to then have their new/different types appear at both at a far lower cost than if the show were separated by 2 months or more?

quid21

Post by quid21 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:34 pm

I thought Farnborough was the week after RIAT?

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:47 pm

quid21 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:34 pm
I thought Farnborough was the week after RIAT?
It is !
This season, I'll be mostly wearing........A THONG!

peasus911

Post by peasus911 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:06 pm

The Temporary enclosures are vast and tower above Hall 1. I drove past them today. That said they are well in the corner of the site and possibly not in the direct flying area. Wonder if the planning app for July 2024 end date would be for them to be removed prior to the 2024 show. I would also agree it does seem a concern that the 2022 show does seem fragile to say the least.

Return to “Farnborough”