Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Duxford Battle of Britain 2020 - Cancelled

Post information relating to any Duxford show here.
jasonT1981

Re: Duxford Battle of Britain 2020 - 18th - 20th September (3 DAY SHOW)

Post by jasonT1981 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:00 pm

The Cat wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:24 am
jasonT1981 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:37 pm
Ticket sales MAY have been suspended. It is giving an error on the page
"Unfortunately your session may have timed out, or an error has occurred. Please use the button below and restart your booking."
However, it was also giving this yesterday at times when they added some Gold tickets to Saturday and Sunday
Adding Gold tickets ? Thought they had sold out weeks ago with restricted numbers !
A number of tickets were made available I presumable by people deciding they didnt want to go and told IWM Duxford, who re-listed them.
AirshowsNI

2022 Airshows
Queens Jubilee Flypast
Cosford
RIAT
Portrush

Damien

Post by Damien » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:27 pm

Show now cancelled. A shame, but absolutely the right decision under the circumstances IMHO.

Cheers

Damien

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:37 pm

From Facebook:
It is with great sadness that we have taken the decision to cancel the Duxford Battle of Britain Proms and the 80th Anniversary Battle of Britain Air Show 2020. We were looking forward to the Air Show as much as the thousands of visitors who had bought tickets for what promised to be a brilliant weekend.
We have been working tirelessly with our partners including Public Health England and South Cambridgeshire District Council in order to explore all avenues for hosting the event. However, we take our responsibility for the safety of our visitors and local community very seriously and feel it would be irresponsible to continue with the event in this rapidly-changing climate.
We are devastated to have to take this decision, and want to thank our visitors, supporters, partners, neighbours and staff members for their incredible support over the past few days and weeks. IWM, like many other museums across the country, is under significant financial pressure due to the coronavirus pandemic so it is a huge blow to have to cancel one of our biggest events less than a week before it takes place. We are confident that our visitors, partners and supporters understand we would not have taken lightly a decision of this magnitude.
We are hugely sorry about the disruption that this cancellation will cause for everyone. We will be in touch with everyone who has purchased a ticket to offer refunds and options to donate your ticket to IWM or consider membership opportunities with access to a host of benefits including free entry to all IWM sites and much more for a whole year.
We promise to return with a packed programme for our next Air Show season and will release details about our 2021 programme in due course.
Thank you to everyone for your continued support for IWM.

65thAgressor

Re: Duxford Battle of Britain 2020 - Cancelled

Post by 65thAgressor » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:16 pm

Devastated was really looking forward to an airshow .and I'm a fast jet fan. I fully understand though and hats off to Duxford for trying really really hard to get this to work.
Let's hope things get better for next year .....

Discodaz

Post by Discodaz » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:20 pm

65thAgressor wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:16 pm
Devastated was really looking forward to an airshow .and I'm a fast jet fan. I fully understand though and hats off to Duxford for trying really really hard to get this to work.
Let's hope things get better for next year .....
I'm exactly the same.im a fast jet fan but wanted to do this one so I get to an air show this year ( selfish I know) .

My worry is,it's looking like a possible second wave starting.this "could" mean that it doesn't start improving till gone Spring next year.by which time it could be too late for the organisers to put on any airshows for the summer.?

I may be very wrong but that's my fear

Daz

peasus911

Post by peasus911 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:59 am

If I remember correctly, while listening to the commentary between acts at Yeovilton a couple of years ago they said that preparations for a show begin at least 18 months before the show date to take into consideration things like traffic management, visiting aircraft that could be invited while they are over in the UK, future UK deployment and aircrew availability etc.
Currently this must be a huge headache for any airshow team.
Would they plan for two types of show, one with less precautions and another with Covid measures in place. It must be a logistical nightmare........ :(

Discodaz

Post by Discodaz » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:45 am

I probably think the preparation and invites still stand from this year so it's just a case of (a) waiting to see if it's feasible to host a show given the current situation, and (b) waiting to here from invited nations.

Of course I don't know this, I'm just assuming

Daz

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:44 am

Reckon that thanks to Coronavirus 2020 is now a write off. If thats the Duxford BoB Show cancelled is there anything else/

lambo1784

Post by lambo1784 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:28 am

Have to agree with Daz,the way infection rate is rising we could easily forget 2021 shows as well.
Unless a nation wide injection becomes available cannot see any return to any sort of normal life for a long time.
All this crap from Boris gives me no confidence at all.
Sorry to go political but just my views.

John in Seaford

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:18 pm

I can't really understand why we can go to work, children can go to school , students can go back to uni, we can go shopping even go to pubs and restaurants if we stay in our own bubble, but can't go outside sit or stand and social distancing and watch an airshow. It does not make sense, but lets not forget nothing that this government has done over covid makes sense. Perhaps Duxford could lay on a special one day show for Mr Cummings because any restrictions don't seem to apply to him.

lambo1784

Post by lambo1784 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:21 pm

He could use the show as a eye sight test.

Bucky P

Post by Bucky P » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:19 pm

"I needed to attend an airshow to check my eyes could see things flying so I'm ready for the flyings pigs I've promised through all my policies!" D Cummings.

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:11 pm

There were far more serious breaches of the Covid regulations committed by other politicians and people who should know better, but nobody seems to mention them. They deliberately flouted the regulations, whereas Cummings dubious breach was far less blatant. Illegal raves, beach gatherings, mass meetings, but, Cummings is always the one who gets pilloried. Look at the bigger picture.!!

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:45 pm

In reply to Raptor9 the reason why Cummings always gets the stick is because he was advisor to the PM who made up the rules, If the PM's advisor can't stick to the rules they is no hope for the rest of the country. Also don't you think it rather strange that he chose Barnard Castle. Even stranger that when he actually returned to work a company with it's UK headquarters based in Barnard Castle got a huge government contract.

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:45 am

I'm well aware of who he is etc., and I don't actually like him. I just feel that far, far too much is still being made of it. Much worse things happening than concerning myself with this stupid man.

Supra

Post by Supra » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:04 am

Unknown74 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:44 am
Reckon that thanks to Coronavirus 2020 is now a write off. If thats the Duxford BoB Show cancelled is there anything else/
And away from the poxy UK Government (which has done more U-turns than the Italian WWII army) There are 3 more Drive-in events at Shuttleworth according to their current website, but if jets are your preference, then Marham, Lakenheath &possibly Fairford would be a good call this week?

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:12 pm

So an airshow or three are cancelled: who cares, in the whole scheme of things :roll:

So fans can't cram into a stadium and see football matches: who cares, in the whole scheme of things :roll:

People need to get real and realise that this virus has NOT gone away, will come back BIG time soon, and bite our b*ms yet again :grr:

Simples :grr:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:42 pm

Poxy Government??. The Government has to follow the advice of Medical and Scientific advisers. They are dealing with an unknown event. Of course there will be U turns whilst they try and beat some sense into thousands of people who lack the basic common sense to realise the implications of their poor behaviour when it comes to social distancing, mass groups etc., Perhaps this rise in infections may make people toe the line. Just remember, things could be a lot worse. Though I suppose there are people that think Jeremy Corbyn etc., could deal with it better. Afraid I pay more attention to the elected Government than the opinions of the thousands of armchair experts, though, of course, they are entitled to their opinions, but then they are not the ones who have to make life changing decisions, are they?.

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:56 am

Well said, John :clap:

Love to Terri ;)
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

GOOSE

Post by GOOSE » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:58 pm

Anyone had details through yet of how to claim a refund / donate the money to the museum?
Aviation - “You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.” :thumb:

Return to “Duxford Shows”