Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

IWM axes flying legends for good.

Post information relating to any Duxford show here.
Sparts99

Re: IWM axes flying legends for good.

Post by Sparts99 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:24 pm

Why would Biggin Hill be particularly affected?
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

ColintheCaterpillar

Post by ColintheCaterpillar » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:41 pm

Just it’s location and relatively urban surroundings in parts. Not saying you couldn’t, but there hasn’t been an air show in the recent past that would assess its viability for a major show since.

panta615

Post by panta615 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:20 pm

Why even mention Biggin? Out of the question completely

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:27 pm

They would not do the balbo in London airspace

Northsky

Post by Northsky » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:59 am

It is even less likely that any shows will happen at Biggin in the future with the new Bombardier hangar being erected where the car parking area was.

ColintheCaterpillar

Post by ColintheCaterpillar » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:45 am

panta615 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:20 pm
So that people who might wonder if a show could return to Biggin may understand why it would probably never happen.

Not everyone’s as expert as you. :thumb:

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:46 am

"So that people who might wonder if a show could return to Biggin may understand why it would probably never happen." Exactly, thanks.

So has the Festival of Flight been done away with?
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

ColintheCaterpillar

Post by ColintheCaterpillar » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:29 pm

Sparts99 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:46 am
"So that people who might wonder if a show could return to Biggin may understand why it would probably never happen." Exactly, thanks.

So has the Festival of Flight been done away with?
I wasn’t aware of the FoF. I take it that it wasn’t on the scale of previous Biggin Hill shows?

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:03 pm

No, it was a lot smaller and I believe couldn't be called an air display, hence a festival, but it has been growing slowly. Ticket numbers were limited too, those vocal nimbys in action. They tried to put an end to the air fair after the A-26 crash but the value to the local economy won out. Then we had the Vampire and P-63 weekend, I don't think it ever really recovered after that.

panta615

Post by panta615 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:05 pm

ColintheCaterpillar wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:45 am
panta615 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:20 pm
So that people who might wonder if a show could return to Biggin may understand why it would probably never happen.

Not everyone’s as expert as you. :thumb:
Did I call myself an expert?

ColintheCaterpillar

Post by ColintheCaterpillar » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:24 pm

You told us all Biggin was out of the question completely, and implied anyone mentioning Biggin was silly to do so.

So, you gave the impression of vastly superior knowledge to the rest of us mere mortals. ;)

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:04 pm

Unless they change the date, not sure about Kemble. Flying Legends normally clashes with Yeovilton Airday not that far away, which would surely split the crowd The other thing with RIAT a week later just up the road at Fairford would the local authorities and police force want two big events happening on following weekends with all the disruption they would make.

Tiger 1

Post by Tiger 1 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:08 pm

North Weald perhaps... Not very far to transit from Duxford being just down the road and they use to have the Warburd Fighter Meet shows there if I remember correctly.

T1

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:35 pm

As a totally different suggestion, add it into RIAT? One of three ways
A- do a mix every day of fast jets and warbirds
B- do a dedicated part of say Saturday for warbirds
C- do one dedicated day just for warbirds (then customers booking tickets will know what day to book for in advance)

Why RIAT?
A- They have the ground facilities/ hard standing there for the aircraft
B- The airshow is already going ahead, so a cheaper alternative
C- Imagine seeing six to eight Spitfires/ P-51's all taxi past at either end of the runway during arrivals days!

(don's tin hat and runs to the slit trench, as cries of "Fast Jet and Warbirds airshows cannot mix")
If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all...

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:23 am

North Weald has a new NPAS hangar and a still being built new hangar for the local air ambulance. Right on the flight path of what was the aircraft display line

So that is a no

ColintheCaterpillar

Post by ColintheCaterpillar » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:42 am

Fast-Jet and Warbirds airshows cannot mix!!! :D :D

It needs to be its own event. It’s appeal - certainly to people like me - was that it wasn’t diluted by the modern stuff.

And I doubt a warbird show would work with 75% of the front of the crowd line being taken up by hospitality tents.

Tiger 1

Post by Tiger 1 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:33 am

Could Shuttleworth and Flying Legends come together... that certainly would be a great Flying Legends Show.

T1

ColintheCaterpillar

Post by ColintheCaterpillar » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:19 pm

Tiger 1 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:33 am
Could Shuttleworth and Flying Legends come together... that certainly would be a great Flying Legends Show.

T1
It would, but ideally I think you’d probably want an airfield with hard runways to remove any limitations of the aircraft that can use it (Duxford is probably about as small as you want, for the biggest stuff it’s actually quite tight) AND it removes the spectre that Shuttleworth have suffered with in recent times with poor weather and the ground being unfit. Poor (wet) build up, grass airfield, heavy warbirds will not mix well.

thevulcan

Post by thevulcan » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:54 pm

Just putting something out there would Kemble be a good choice two runways one of which is paved and one grass both running parallel the same as Duxford. A proven display line and airfield that has proved it can host a large airshow lots of room for parking and a nice long display line. No altitude restrictions either as no airport flight lanes close. ATC and fire cover are already there as well along with a long standing events business. Flying legends have confirmed it will remain in the UK so that's France out of the question
2023 Airshows

Too many to list :thumb:

page_verify

Post by page_verify » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:38 pm

Would it? Are you sure? I was involved with the thriving events world at Kemble 10-20 years ago when it hosted many legendary fly-ins, air shows, and non-aviation events. Since then, the management's priorities have been on other sources of income - which now fill a lot of the tarmac a large event would need to use.

Return to “Duxford Shows”