Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Travel times during Yeovilton show

Post information relating to Yeovilton airshow here.
Thunder

Travel times during Yeovilton show

Post by Thunder » Tue May 15, 2018 7:48 pm

I'm going to be in London on the Friday prior to the show and was wondering how long it would take to drive from Uxbridge to Yeovilton on show day, normally takes 2hrs according to Google maps. Whats the traffic like around Somerset during the show?

Malcolm

Re: Travel times during Yeovilton show

Post by Malcolm » Tue May 15, 2018 8:22 pm

Thunder wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:48 pm
I'm going to be in London on the Friday prior to the show and was wondering how long it would take to drive from Uxbridge to Yeovilton on show day, normally takes 2hrs according to Google maps. Whats the traffic like around Somerset during the show?
Generally, providing you avoid peak times the trip to Sunny Somerset is easily do-able in 2 hours. Peak times are westbound on Friday evening (between 4pm and 9pm), and eastbound on Sunday evening between 3pm and midnight. Eastbound on Monday mornings isn't much fun either. The biggest westbound issue is that stupid new roundabout just west of Stonehenge. The biggest eastbound issue is London.

If you leave Uxbridge by 6am you should have no real issue getting to Yeovilton by 8am. The last 5 miles into the car park may be a bit sticky but prior to 8:30 should be Ok. On the way out it depends when you want to leave - either before the Junglie assault (assuming there is one!) or leave it till they kick you out (usually around 17:30). Once back on the A303 the traffic shouldn't be too bad. There are some local shortcuts - but them's local roads for local people :P

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Tue May 15, 2018 8:48 pm

Thanks guys, would be able to rebook the Friday night accommodation closer to Yeovilton if need be and on the Saturday after the show it would be a case of hitting the M5 and back up North.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Wed May 16, 2018 8:58 am

Thunder wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:48 pm
Thanks guys, would be able to rebook the Friday night accommodation closer to Yeovilton if need be and on the Saturday after the show it would be a case of hitting the M5 and back up North.
Personally, I'd rather get up early (6am) on Saturday morning and have a leasurely trip down the M3/A303 rather than risk the Friday evening carnage. There are 3 or 4 bits where the A303 drops from fast 2 lane dual carriageway to single lane cart track and there can be long (30 minute+) delays at any/all of these places as all the Lundun sheeple dessert their sinking ship and head down to paradise. The worst delays are probably as you go down the hill past Boscombe Down and it can take absolutely ages to get past Stonehenge from there.

Afterwards for Yeovilton to the M5 you probably need to allow an hour, depending on the route you take. A303->A358->Taunton is the longest, but mostly dual carriageway or fast A road. A37->Bristol->M32 is the shortest, but involves going through the middle of Brizzol which is best avoided except in the middle of the night. Most locals would go some variation on Podimore->Somerton->Compton Dundon->Ashcott-> A39-> M5-J23 which can be done in less than 45 minutes traffic permitting.

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Wed May 30, 2018 9:54 pm

Possible way back to the M5 from Yeovliton. Is from Yeovilton head west on A303 to Podimore roundabout take the Langport road A372 about a mile turn right onto B3151 towards Street, just before Street take a left on to a minor road signposted Bridgwater also signed to a Youth Hostel, stay on that road and you will hit the A39 which again will be signposted Bridgwater and the M5. Then just follow the M5 signs, and you will hit the M5 about 12-15miles further north than if you went via Taunton and no towns to go through, just villages but watch the speed limits. Although this route is well know to the locals normally it's not that busy.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:30 pm

Decided to alter the dates I'll be in London, now staying in Mere from the Thursday until Saturday then heading up to London after the show. First UK show for me for 15 yrs so it better be worth it, although more of a family day out than a full spotting trip.

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:45 pm

Where are you staying in Mere, can really recommend the Walnut for really good food. I always think Yeovilton Airday is a good day out with a varied flying programme both old and new. Showing my age I've been going on and off since the 1960's.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:44 pm

Sorry my bad we're actually staying in Wincanton, I was looking at a cottage in Mere as well and got mixed up. Was hoping to get into the Walnut Tree but fully booked for obvious reasons will hopefully get to sample their food though.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:51 am

Quick question regarding car parking. Do you pay at the gate or is it already included in the ticket price, can’t see any mention of it on their website, and is there a better car park to head for or are they all much the same?

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:34 am

Thunder wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:51 am
Quick question regarding car parking. Do you pay at the gate or is it already included in the ticket price, can’t see any mention of it on their website, and is there a better car park to head for or are they all much the same?
Car parking is free, and you get waived in fairly quickly. Getting out can be more of an issue if you attempt to leave just after the Junglie assault. :roll:

I prefer the back roads into/out of Hunter car park - which for you involves leaving the A303 at Sparkford, heading into Queen Camel, and then taking West5 Camel road. They park you on the old dispersals near sheep field in Speckington. If you carry on on the A303 to Podimore then you get parked in the fields north of the airfield, and it's usually these that have departure aggro.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:39 am

Parking is included. Last time I stayed in Wincanton I used the car park to the north of the airfield - can't remember the name given to it. I'm stopping in Mere this year and will be doing the same. As a rough guide I left the pub in Wincanton at about 7.30, was parked eaily and close to the entrance gate before 8 and was at the front of the queue for airshow gates opening at 9. The only downside is that you are deep into the parking field and have a lot of cars behind you in the quue to get out.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:34 pm

Thanks guys. Malcolm I take from the Speckington car park access is then through Crash Gate 2 onto the base?

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:51 pm

Thunder wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:34 pm
Thanks guys. Malcolm I take from the Speckington car park access is then through Crash Gate 2 onto the base?
Not sure where crash gate 2 is, but entry to Hunter is normally via a left turn through a farmers gate just after the bridge into Speckington here : https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/51% ... -2.6215901

All parking is in that field outside of the airfield perimeter to the east of the airfield, basically along both sides of the dispersal tracks. You walk from the parking through the Crash gate onto the airfield here :

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/51% ... d-2.628279.

There are ticket booths in the car-park just before you cross the road to the crash gate. If you want a quick get away, then it's worth returning to your car at lunchtime and moving it to as close to the entrance as possible - the farmers gate entrance will become the exit, and it can turn into a bun-fight. This is especially true if you end up in the walled part of the field - the sandy brown cut straw area on GE.

You should also note that, if you're after the Gate Guards, then these are on the main road, through the base, and you'll have to walk off base to see them.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:39 pm

Yip that’s crash gate 2. Think that’ll be where I head to, is that one of the car parks that is out of bounds while the flying display is on unless you’re leaving ie: you’re not allowed to watch the flying from there?

NickB

Car park access during Yeovilton show

Post by NickB » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:48 am

My son and I are going to VLAD this year - first time for me since 1995!

Just checking car park access is allowed throughout the day - we're taking a picnic and planning to head back to car at lunchtime?

Looks like a great line-up - can't wait!

Thanks
NickB

Malcolm

Re: Car park access during Yeovilton show

Post by Malcolm » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:16 pm

NickB wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:48 am
My son and I are going to VLAD this year - first time for me since 1995!

Just checking car park access is allowed throughout the day - we're taking a picnic and planning to head back to car at lunchtime?

Looks like a great line-up - can't wait!

Thanks
NickB
Never known any restrictions in the past. They seem to have renamed "Hunter" to "Harrier" this year though. Here is the car park map :

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/-/media/ro ... ummary.pdf

Unless you're in either Harrier or Phantom then to get back to your car will mean walking quite a long way out of the show and away from the display line to go get your picnic. Most people would just take it in with them.

NickB

Post by NickB » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:54 pm

Thanks Malcolm - very helpful indeed. My route in will be modified to ensure I end up in Harrier... :thumb:

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:50 pm

As you’ve seen from my posts, I’ve never been to Yeovilton before. However I’ve seen mention on here I think, that people have been moved from hanging around the car parks whilst the flying program is on. Not sure if it differs from car park to car park, would like clarification on it also.

Found the thread it’s in the “Yeovilton 2017 ruined “
thread further down the page.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:16 pm

Thunder wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:50 pm
As you’ve seen from my posts, I’ve never been to Yeovilton before. However I’ve seen mention on here I think, that people have been moved from hanging around the car parks whilst the flying program is on. Not sure if it differs from car park to car park, would like clarification on it also.

Found the thread it’s in the “Yeovilton 2017 ruined “
thread further down the page.
I *think* that refers to photographers walking to the back of the fields and taking photos of the 27 approach, up behind the old corrugated hangars/barns in Harrier/Hunter. If you're up the front end nearer the entrance then I'm not sure what they're whinging about.

However I have had run ins with the private security guards around there on the Friday. They usually try and claim the roads around Speckington and Yeovilton Village are closed to all, when they aren't. I carry a copy of the TRO and ask them to call the police if they think I am breaking the law. After that I just ignore them, and so far they have never actually called the police. These are public rights of way, and with the exception of the Sheep field are all still open to pedestrians - even on show day. The TRO only applies to vehicles and pedal cycles.

Return to “Yeovilton”