Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Culdrose is not what it used to be!

Please post movements and activities for RNAS Culdrose and Predannack here
Aircraftpaulcornwall

Culdrose is not what it used to be!

Post by Aircraftpaulcornwall » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:59 pm

Hi all,
I have been noting for a very long time now, that R.N.A.S. Culdrose's influence has been steadily waning!
Except for the very well deserved 'marching through Helston in No.1 dress rig with arms and bayonets drawn', then
it has to be said that for years and years now, the aircraft actually seemingly using this base have steadily decreased.
I can remember all the way through the 1960's, the 1970's, the 1980's, the 1990's and the 2000's, (up to about 2008) aircraft movements were
very many and regular, but since then, movements have decreased ever more.
The most that we see nowadays are a very occasional Merlin helicopter, an occasional Hawk trainer and an occasional Avenger over our Stithians area!
It seems that gone are the days that they flew all day and every day, (except for the 7 days a week SAR Sea Kings!)
It is such a shame - let's hope that in the future they will once again fly (almost) 365 days a year!

Chough

Re: CULDROSE IS NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE!

Post by Chough » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:21 am

Fair comment. And as far as I know still well over 3000 personnel at the base.

roger4

Post by roger4 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:52 am

The comment probably applies to every UK military airfield, and it certainly applies to my local, given the reduction in aircraft numbers over the years and the move for ever-increasing proportions of the training to be simulator based.

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:16 pm

In the current climate of things i'm amazed it still survives.

C24

Re: Culdrose is not what it used to be!

Post by C24 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:50 am

Too true!
I suspect that there are now more Civil Servants running the Navy than there are personnel manning the ships. Perhaps when the carriers are up to speed there might be an increase in use. At least Predannack was being used for UAVs in recent times.
Fingers crossed
🌈
C24
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

Return to “RNAS Culdrose & Predannack”