Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

G7 Sumit to be held at Cardis Bay

Please post movements and activities for RNAS Culdrose and Predannack here
Rhubarb

G7 Sumit to be held at Cardis Bay

Post by Rhubarb » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:20 am

This has just been announced by the bbc. Looking at it geographically I would put Culdrose in the No 1 position to be landing all those fancy nations buisiness jets, airforce one and CIA Gulfstream cream beauties in the middle of the night and the list will go on and on ! It will be wonderful for heavy and military spotters for two weeks. Never been to Culdrose so I would be interested to know all the best places from you locals ? Security will be high to say the least. :'( Even down to blocking off car access to the traditional spots. Be prepared to abandon ship and hump all the paperrazi gear and sardine and cucumber sandwiches "my favourite spotters food" :D It should be good value for two weeks before, two weeks during and a week to clear up. There will be snipers on top of things with real bulits and mobile cctv cameras taking continuous pickies of all you not wanted pesky anoraks 24 hrs a day. What the Lt Comander in charge of security will forget is that you ,the life long airplane anorak can spot an out of place person in five minutes. Then confirm they are not spotters by asking semi elementary spotter stuff, quite innocently like. So put a number up so we can save all the mi5 types uncomfortable nights in the undergrowth :thumbs:
They could of course use Newquay Airport but is distance by road is a further security consideration.
What do you think ?
Cheers
"A Rhubarb" is a sortie of opportunity !

EGDR

Re: G7 Sumit to be held at Cardis Bay

Post by EGDR » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:35 am

Certainly potential for some movements, but the runway isn't long enough for the heavies, and parking space for them would be at a huge premium. Unless they go further afield, Newquay would be your best bet, they'd use helicopters to go between

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:31 am

Link on the BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55678267

June 11-13 and St Ives hotels mentioned.

I would guess Newquay rather than Culdrose and maybe helicopters for Biden.

According to the BBC the 2020 G7 in Maryland was held on line which should keep extinction rebellion happy - perhaps the way to go in the future.

Knife 04

Post by Knife 04 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:31 pm

Don't forget the US used Fairford for AF1 and associated aircraft back in September 2014 when Obama visited for a summit in Cardiff - helicopters based there as well

A US facility which would have all the security they need and not too far flying time when compared to Cardiff

Just a thought?!

Lets just hope Biden does not make a visit to Stonehenge on the way back delaying the depature of AF1 until it is dark!! :grr:

plmc135

Re: G7 Summit to be held at Carbis Bay

Post by plmc135 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:05 pm

Significant difference in flying time. FFD to Cardiff just over 90 miles and FFD to Carbis Bay just over 240 miles according to Google maps.

Doughnut

Post by Doughnut » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:54 am

I would also expect Newquay to be heavily involved, if indeed anything actually takes place.
Regarding POTUS seem to remember previous G7 visits are also timed with events such as meeting the Queen etc so arrival of POTUS could be Stansted.

macbear26

Post by macbear26 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:12 am

I am thinking Newquay myself an expect security to be very high if it goes ahead.

Rhubarb

Post by Rhubarb » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:09 pm

Hi all again,
Thanks for your useful comments. I do not know the actual length of RNAS Culdrose's central longest runway. An empty 747 cargo can lift off Robin Hood airports runway only using half the two mile length. Obviously AF1 will be some what heavier ! Newquay could accommodate any 747 easily I agree. President Bridon on the other hand could slum it in the Secretary of States Presidential gulfstream at Culdrose and be in Cadis in fifteen minutes by Helcopter and even less in a V22 "as if" !
Security will be fantastic. At the nominated airfield the CIA along with British security will lift, inspect and seal down every manhole on the airfield two weeks before the event just for starters. It's about 45 minutes by helicopter from Newquay. Some what longer keeping out to sea. Where ever it is you will enjoy the activities I am sure on that.
Cheers

CastleDon

Post by CastleDon » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:55 am

Rhubarb wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:09 pm
Hi all again,
Thanks for your useful comments. I do not know the actual length of RNAS Culdrose's central longest runway. An empty 747 cargo can lift off Robin Hood airports runway only using half the two mile length. Obviously AF1 will be some what heavier ! Newquay could accommodate any 747 easily I agree. President Bridon on the other hand could slum it in the Secretary of States Presidential gulfstream at Culdrose and be in Cadis in fifteen minutes by Helcopter and even less in a V22 "as if" !
Security will be fantastic. At the nominated airfield the CIA along with British security will lift, inspect and seal down every manhole on the airfield two weeks before the event just for starters. It's about 45 minutes by helicopter from Newquay. Some what longer keeping out to sea. Where ever it is you will enjoy the activities I am sure on that.
Cheers
It is 23 nautical miles from Newquay Airport to Carbis Bay. About 15 minutes by helicopter. CastleDon.

Northsky

Post by Northsky » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:14 am

Dont be surprised if they use Fairford again. Its virtually US territory and they like to keep things in house.

gulfstream650

Post by gulfstream650 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:47 am

Hopefully it will be Newquay will wait with baited breath have got accommodation booked
Just in case,depends on lockdown etc too.

Will see fingers crossed.

Chough

Post by Chough » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:19 pm

Before we all get too excited let’s just remember that the 2020 G7 was held by video conference due to the COVID situation. Seems all too likely we could we heading for a similar situation this year? It would be a real blow to us here in Cornwall which all too often is very quiet in our uncrowned skies.

Reach 392

Post by Reach 392 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:00 am

Hmm. Trooping the colour is on the same weekend. I'm sure Biden would love to experience a bit of pomp before heading home. :whistle:
Regards,

Neil

Snapshot1

Post by Snapshot1 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:45 pm

neil305 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:00 am
Hmm. Trooping the colour is on the same weekend. I'm sure Biden would love to experience a bit of pomp before heading home. :whistle:
Home? Knock Airport and a taxi to Ballina then.

Rhubarb

Post by Rhubarb » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:19 pm

Good stuff as I predicted. Plenty of hardware has chosen Cudrose which should please all you lucky enough to live in Cornwall !
Briden came into Milldenhall after all that. That was nice for all his service personnel. Plenty of special forces there of course, their own personnel can much easier control the minute checks required around the base.
How did Biden travel to Cardis Bay ?

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:21 pm

Transit to Cirnwall was AF-1 VC-25. Plenty of coverage on the forum.

Return to “RNAS Culdrose & Predannack”