Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RN SAR Training

Please post movements and activities for RNAS Culdrose and Predannack here
Snoop 95

RN SAR Training

Post by Snoop 95 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:09 pm

I read on Twitter that a crew from 824 NAS were undergoing SAR training near Falmouth when they rescued a kayaker who was in difficulties. I was surprised to read that they were training for that role as I thought all SAR was now contracted out to civilian operators.

Malcolm

Re: RN SAR Training

Post by Malcolm » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:14 pm

AIUI both Merlin and Wildcat crews practice old style SAR. Partly because if a fast jet jock pulls the yellow and black handle as their £100M jump jet disappears off the front of a boat into the oggin, then they usually want fishing out without too much delay.

tim_3216

Post by tim_3216 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:20 pm

They must still have to train for SAR supporting the fleet, for both 'blue water' and coastal navy operations. Plenty of scenarios to train for e.g. downed aircraft/helicopter, small vessels, man overboard etc.
The need for this must be increasing again with the carriers operational. I assume there's still a 'plane guard' helicopter airborne during all flight deck operations.
RIAT Volunteer 2001 --->

Aircraftpaulcornwall

Post by Aircraftpaulcornwall » Mon May 09, 2022 8:24 pm

Hi all!
I have not been on here for a long time now - so I decided to check out if anything has been added
and I am quite surprised at how little content has been added recently to 'RNAS Culdrose & Predannack'.
I have noted the very interesting subject of 'RN SAR Training' and would like to comment upon this!
You may remember that on 16th August, 2004 there was a devastating flood at Boscastle in Cornwall.
Various heli assets at the time were called upon including, (if I remember correctly!) 2 Sea kings from Culdrose and at least 1 Sea King from Chivenor.
and a couple of Cornwall Air Ambulances too.
They did superb work - BUT - if this scenario was ever repeated in the future - the most that could be called upon are the Coastguard Helicopter (S92) from Newquay and
(possibly) Coastguard Helicopters from St. Athan, Lee-on-Solent and (perhaps) from Prestwick. No Air Ambulances are currently equipped with winches and the Police Helicopter is also not equipped with a winch.
The authorities would be very hard pressed to deal with this sort of situation locally to Cornwall if it ever occurred again.
I cannot understand, for the life of me, how Merlins are not now being fitted with winches for any SAR tasking.
They are superb helicopters and they would be a perfect long range and rugged replacement for the Sea Kings for the job!
--Paul

POL

Post by POL » Mon May 09, 2022 9:04 pm

hub51

Post by hub51 » Tue May 10, 2022 8:13 am

Merlin seen yesterday winching person off RN vessel on the Firth of Clyde

C24

Post by C24 » Tue May 10, 2022 1:36 pm

🇺🇦🌻

Hello Paul, good to know that you are still on the planet🌍. Predannack currently being used for UAV training according to NOTAMs.

Revives memories from way back. Wrens used to act as Guinea pigs, we dropped them into the sea near Gunwalloe and practice winching circuits.

It was an excellent introduction to the lovely lasses.

Stay safe
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

Aircraftpaulcornwall

Post by Aircraftpaulcornwall » Fri May 20, 2022 8:39 pm

Hi C24,
Many thanks my friend and I am glad that you are still on here!
I am still around - and as always, doing our local Stithians weather, as well as keeping my eyes on the skies!
Interesting to see your notes about the UAV training at Predannick.
Yes, I remember that it was reported that the Wrens were involved in the winch training - I seem to remember that it
may have been in the time of the Wessex's! (1970's) - when Culdrose was really at it's height!!
Interestingly, yesterday there was absolutely nothing over here - not even a Merlin! -
but today, we saw an Avenger fly over at around 700ft.
It really is a shame that there are not a lot more fixed wing and helis around nowadays to have a geek at!
Thank you again and with best wishes --Paul

Aircraftpaulcornwall

Post by Aircraftpaulcornwall » Fri May 20, 2022 8:59 pm

Hi C24 (and everyone!)
Hi again - just updated my profile - the first time in a very long time! --Paul

C24

Post by C24 » Sat May 21, 2022 9:03 am

🌻🇺🇦

We were using Whirlwinds for the girls. Wessex 1&5 were in plentiful supply and the SeaKing was making its debut.

Take care, C24
C24.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"

Aircraftpaulcornwall

Post by Aircraftpaulcornwall » Sun May 22, 2022 8:32 pm

Hi C24,
Yes, those were the days!
I lived at Penryn at that time and we used to see the good old Whirlwinds & Wessex's going over regularly.
I remember the early Sea Kings & also used to see Bell Sioux (with the large glass bubble!) which were the forerunners of the later Gazelles.
There was also a Dragonfly or two, as well as an an-WWII Sunderland on one occasion!
If only it was the same now! Definitely a nice walk down memory lane!
Take care and with best wishes --Paul

C24

Post by C24 » Mon May 23, 2022 6:18 am

Good day Paul,
..and the visits of Shackletons! The bubble helos were Hillers.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/646336983998536459/

You mentioned Dragonfly. There was one at BRNC, based up the hill at Norton. My first time off the ground was a flight I had out over the moors. Low level! Quite an experience.
Old man’s memories.
The almost flight with the RAFAT at Airday… & on & on…

Best wishes,C24

Ps. The next generation, who lives near Hill AFB has just emailed to say they are booked in to see the F-35 demo display. Ok for some!
C24.

Aircraftpaulcornwall

Post by Aircraftpaulcornwall » Mon May 23, 2022 8:27 pm

Hi EGVP,
Yes, many thanks for your reply and information. That's good to know!
Best wishes --Paul

Aircraftpaulcornwall

Post by Aircraftpaulcornwall » Mon May 23, 2022 8:40 pm

Hi C24,
You are right about the Hillers - I remember them flying over on very many occasions (I made a mistake & these were the forerunners to the Gazelles!)
Thank you for the interesting link - had a look and that is indeed it!
However, I think in the mid-sixties (at about 10 years old or so) there were also Bell Sioux helos (these preceded the Hillers), again with a large glass bubble cockpit.
These were the same sort as could be seen on the old TV programme 'Skippy the Bush Kangaroo!
You are also right about the Shackletons - I once saw one of these go over at around 1200ft and believe that this may well be the same A/c that they preserved as a gate guard (or similar)
at St. Mawgan.
The F-35 demo would be interesting to see - let's hope that someone is able to video it for YouTube!
Thanks again & best wishes --Paul

Return to “RNAS Culdrose & Predannack”