Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Cosford travel advice needed

Post information relating to Cosford airshow here.
Gary
Administrator

Cosford travel advice needed

Post by Gary » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:41 pm

Is getting parked up at the base as much a ball ache as some of the horror stories? Trying to decide how to travel in, can't decide between trying luck with the car or dumping it at Birmingham or Wolverhampton and getting the train.

Any advice? Bear in mind we'll be travelling in from South Lincs and it's a 2 hour 20+ car journey :lol:
Posh are going to Wembley (albeit for a tin cup)

Malcolm

Re: Cosford travel advice needed

Post by Malcolm » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:44 pm

Gary wrote:Is getting parked up at the base as much a ball ache as some of the horror stories? Trying to decide how to travel in, can't decide between trying luck with the car or dumping it at Birmingham or Wolverhampton and getting the train.

Any advice? Bear in mind we'll be travelling in from South Lincs and it's a 2 hour 20+ car journey :lol:
I did it 2 years ago - and cars were queuing on the M54 from Jct 1 all the way to Jct 3 at 07:30. I was going to Shawbury first anyway, and then returned. No problem getting to Jct3 from the West, but they then force you to go north and do a U-ey at the A5, and join the long queue going in that way. I abandoned that queue and went anti-clockwise around the base via Shiffnel and the A464. Finally got in about 10am. I left at about 15:30, and got out via a crash gate on the south side of the airfield. Lots of stories about people trying to leave between 16:30 and 17:00 and not getting out till 20:00.

Personally - I'd say if you aren't prepared to be off the M54 by 7:30/8am, go to Telford, Shifnal, or Shrewsbury and get the train in/out. The trains will be packed, but you'll get in/out quicker. I don't know for sure, but I'd expect the trains from Birmingham/Wolverhampton to be more packed than the ones from the West.

beefsteak

Post by beefsteak » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:16 pm

Depending on where you're coming from I'd suggest Wolverhampton and the train, but be prepared to walk to the station as the car park fills up , as do the trains !! A far better bet (And less packed train too ) is to go up towards Shrewsbury and come in via train from that end.
Jim Bowen, on "Bullseye" :- In which state of the U.S.A. is Dallas, Texas ??

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:23 pm

Thank's chaps :thumb:
Posh are going to Wembley (albeit for a tin cup)

Return to “Cosford”