Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RAF Cosford Airshow 2018, Sunday 10th June

Post information relating to Cosford airshow here.
MRTT

Re: RAF Cosford Airshow 2018, Sunday 10th June

Post by MRTT » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:40 pm

Tutors were G-BYXM/XM, G-BYXA/XA, G-BYWU/WU & G-BYWD/WD and the Prefect was ZM320.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:12 pm

Not long home, an absolute fantastic show, a personal highlight for me was getting to hold the RAF Baton and be photographed by the RAF Photographer after the Falcons completed their display and line up/hand over ceremony :D

I did feel it dragged towards the end, I put this down to the heat though. I enjoyed every display. Tucano was a real highlight for me, they were built not far from me and I have a family connection to them. I saw many of them roll out of Shorts for their first flight.

Mig and F16 were brilliant, as was the 757. BBMF was amazing to see with all 4 types of aircraft together.

I really enjoyed the very early displays pre-WWII, a lot more than I thought. Chipmunk was a little high though but still a nice display.

Cosford club was fantastic to be in. I loved that the commentary went out during the 757 so I could hear it properly on that pull up and also during the BBMF just hearing the engines.

Only complaints is the trains. Very unorganised and unprepared. Didn't get to see much of the static, just the cold war aircraft at the end of the show. Maybe something this size should have been done over 2 days as it was impossible to do static and watch the flying fully.

Well done to the Cosford team, you put on a show I will remember for a long time
Last edited by jasonT1981 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AirshowsNI

2022 Airshows
Queens Jubilee Flypast
Cosford
RIAT
Portrush

B-2 Fan

Post by B-2 Fan » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:23 pm

MRTT wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:29 pm
gabbleratchet wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:46 pm
XX727 ER was also with BD and EE

Cheers

Adrian
'ER' was displayed behind the Base Commanders private chalet.
That one was XZ115. Both were coded ER.

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:20 am

Ah right, cheers.

Phantomrider

Post by Phantomrider » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:49 am

I agree with everything said about the show, it was my first Cosford airshow and I was very, very impressed.

The organisers did a fantastic effort to get as many RAF aircraft together from the last 100 years, and the way the static was laid out was brilliant.

I thought the flying displays were varied and interesting, especially the Rafale, and the Trenchard formation from the BBMF was also exceptional.

The only concerns I have for the show are that one day may have been too short, the vast amount of people trying to get in meant that there were lots of parking and positioning issues, I was there at 0730 and got in relatively quickly, but when trying to leave with a partner in a wheelchair it was next to impossible due to having so many people in such a small area ( the grass area by the disabled car park). Two days would have been much better, I do appreciate that this may not have been a viable option.
People getting to the front of the spectator area and then putting up wind breaks!!!! I'm sure they were very comfortable but it meant that no-one was able to sit behind them for about 5ft, and disabled people had to move back even further, an issue that I would like the organisers to address.

All in all, to go to a UK airshow and see a Hunter, Lightning, Phantom, Harrier and Jaguars on the static took me back to the first airshows I went to back in the 80's, and to have them displayed so well is also a commendation to the team behind it.

neila380

Post by neila380 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:23 pm

Sorry to myther but does anyone have a full log too post please,
Couldnt make Sunday so had to do it from outside on Saturday and some tie ups reqd

Many thanks Neil

timb

Post by timb » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:55 pm

Thanks MRTT much appreciated.

timb

Post by timb » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:19 pm

What a fantastic days entertainment. I arrived by road from Devon at about 7.30, on the airfield not long after 8. Words don,t describe the static and hangar displays. Plenty of very interesting side shows etc to keep everyone entertained. excellent varied flying display, hilite I would say was the Mig with the Hurricane as well as the Red Bull Sycamoore. Aerial photography wasn,t ideal, but did it matter ?----not a bit !! Full marks to the organizers. For my sins I left before the end to avoid being on base until mid evening, but there were 4 USAF aircraft waiting for me in the late evening sun on the way home in the cotswolds ! The only [and i do mean only] complaint was that as usual some "enthusiasts" seem to find pleasure in shouting abuse at people for standing in front of aircraft, these are the people that spent the same amount of money to be there and may never have been that close to an aircraft before !

Doughnut

Post by Doughnut » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:11 pm

Phantomrider wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:49 am
... to go to a UK airshow and see a Hunter, Lightning, Phantom, Harrier and Jaguars on the static took me back to the first airshows I went to back in the 80's, and to have them displayed so well is also a commendation to the team behind it.
Add to that the Buccaneer, couple of Jet Provost and the Whirlwind, Wessex, Sea King in the static a big thank you must go the the Museums and private owners who transported their aircraft by road. Assume some costs would have been covered by Cosford airshow but still a massive undertaking for little or no reward.

I will admit to not being a number cruncher but does anybody have a complete list of aircraft that were on display, especially if it identities the owners or their usual locations. Which Tornado / Jaguar belong to the Museum or Technical training school ? Indeed is there a current list of aircraft belonging to the School, www.demobbed.co.uk gives a long list but with no indication of which hangar or buildings Northside they can be found.

Many years ago I had a tour of RAF Cosford training school, and RAF Shawbury storage, do these tours still take place ?

Many Thanks Paul

Grahame W

Post by Grahame W » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:08 pm

Can anyone supply the serials of the four Hawk T2s that flew past at about 1720 on Sunday?
Grahame W

luke28

Post by luke28 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:56 pm

ZK014, 025, 028, 029 :thumbs:

Grahame W

Post by Grahame W » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:36 pm

Thanks, Luke, much apprecitated.
Grahame W

stevep22

Post by stevep22 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:35 am

seacat192 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:08 pm
A quick question - someone may know the answer

Once the road closure due to the serious accident was announced over the PA system, the next song to play was Highway to Hell by AC/DC - was this the next song on the playlist, or just a spur of the moment choice??
I heard that too. It was suggested that Talking Heads 'Road to Nowhere' could have been a good choice.

As the old joke goes 'The fact that there is only a Stairway to Heaven, but a Highway to Hell, tells us much about the amount of traffic they anticipate..'

Steve

Return to “Cosford”