Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Biggin Hill Festival of Flight - feedback?

Post information on other airshows and events here.
robstopper

Biggin Hill Festival of Flight - feedback?

Post by robstopper » Wed May 16, 2018 12:00 pm

I'm thinking of going to the Festival of Flight at Biggin Hill this year. Can anyone shed any light on what it's like - in terms of getting in and out through traffic, how close the flight line is and what that means for photography possibilities?

TIA.

timb

Re: Biggin Hill Festival of Flight - feedback?

Post by timb » Sat May 19, 2018 7:59 pm

I went in 2017 on the saturday. Traffic getting in was fine as was getting out, although not as smooth as the entry. Flight line fine for photography and the display line is excellent. Executive a/c come and go up until the display starts, on the whole I would say something for everyone, I will certainly be going back this year.

robstopper

Post by robstopper » Sun May 20, 2018 7:06 am

great, thanks for the info! Sounds a lot less stressful than Duxford

robstopper

Post by robstopper » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:51 am

Tickets booked for the Saturday :)

I'd never been to BH before last month - this will be my third trip there in the space of 3 months! :lol:

Ljones76

Post by Ljones76 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:48 pm

I used to live near Biggin Hill, great viewing is always available whether you are on the airfield or in the valley, traffic is the only problem. Pretty much just one road in and one road out. Would highly recommend to all ages and enthusiast levels.

Ljones76

Post by Ljones76 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:50 pm

I unfortunately cannot be there this year but can't wait to see what pictures you guys get :thumbs:

robstopper

Post by robstopper » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:44 am

Shaping up to be a good little show - NINE Spitfires scheduled to be flying, plus 3 Hurricanes, the Lanc', Blenheim, Fury, a Buchon........warbird goodness! :D

robstopper

Post by robstopper » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:48 pm

What a superb show yesterday. The weather and light wasn't conducive to good photography, but that aside, it was brilliant from start to finish. Easy getting in, and out - we stayed right 'til the end, and took no more than 15 minutes to get out of the airfield and on to the main road. Plenty of facilities and merch' stalls.

So many highlights, but seeing eight Spitfires in the air at the same time during the Battle of Britain staged sequence was pretty amazing. For me though, the stand out element was the "Spitfire Salute" to close the show. One solo Spitfire, the newly restored MkXVI from BHHH, in skies which had at last cleared to patchy blue, the sun starting to move down the skies, and Holst's "Jupiter" playing over the tannoy. Utterly magical and beautiful to behold, it will stay with me for a long, long time. Stunning display too, full of passion and emotion. Sadly, it seemed that the engine went sick just as he rolled out of the last move, with some smoke visible, and it sounded a little rough too. All credit to the pilot though, as he got it down safely and killed the engine as soon as he was on the ground. Really sad to see it being towed in, but hopefully it will be fixed and healthy again soon. He truly gave us a performance to remember though, so I'm very grateful for that.

I'll definitely go again next year.

Philc81

Post by Philc81 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:30 am

Can anyone confirm the contents of the Heritage Hangar during this show please?

Return to “Other Airshows & Events”