Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Airwaves Portrush air show 2021 - cancelled

Post information on other airshows and events here.
100arw

Airwaves Portrush air show 2021 - cancelled

Post by 100arw » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:18 pm

Portrush air show - Saturday September 4th, to Thursday September 9th 2021 - cancelled due to Covid-19 associated problems.
P.

jasonT1981

Re: Airwaves Portrush air show 2021 - cancelled

Post by jasonT1981 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:45 am

There was never going to be a Portrush Airshow in 2021. And it has never been a 5 day event. It was always a Saturday and Sunday. There were no plans at all for a 2021 show after the council cancelled it last year due to being in debt.

The show is to restart in 2022 as the Causeway International Airshow.

I did see a website showing this date last week, I have no idea where the 5 day show info came from, let alone talk of a 2021 show came from. There was never going to be one. Causeway Coast was not planning to have any large scale events in 2021. This is from a council meeting last October when it was said.
We are reportedly entering a second phase of Covid 19 and restrictions are being
brought back in alongside local lockdowns. Based on the impact of Covid19 restrictions on
the Tourism events this year and the likelihood that restrictions on mass gatherings may well
cancel or curtail events over the next 12 months, Council may want to consider an alternative
approach to supporting large and small tourism events in Causeway Coast and Glens Borough
Council area in 2021-22.
AirshowsNI

2022 Airshows
Queens Jubilee Flypast
Cosford
RIAT
Portrush

100arw

Re: Airwaves Portrush air show 2021 - cancelled

Post by 100arw » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:09 am

The Monday to Thursday plan was to involve some local businesses, who were trying to recoup some lost revenue and tie in some other evens after the air show. The aim being to attract others to the town. But, from the two meetings held, and as they reported after their last meeting, the idea turned out not to be worth progressing, due to the growing risk of cancellation from Covid.

It has been years since I attended an air show in Portrush. But it was a show that regrettably I decided not to return to, even though I miss not seeing some of the local people.
P.

Return to “Other Airshows & Events”