Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Southport 22

Post information on other airshows and events here.
Discodaz

Southport 22

Post by Discodaz » Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:42 pm

Typhoon, bbmf, red arrows and grob tutor confirmed

Daz

jules50

Re: Southport 22

Post by jules50 » Tue May 17, 2022 1:30 pm

RoKAF Black Eagles

Doughnut

Post by Doughnut » Tue May 17, 2022 3:56 pm

OK so this news throws all sorts of questions to those who have been to a Southport airshow.
Seems they sell tickets for the Pier so assume the display line must be further out than that, do the public just sit it out on the beach at low tide ? Surely the Pier get horrendously packed out ?
What about display axis ? Does it simply follow the coast line at at approx 03/21, coincidently the same as Woodvales runway.
In the past has Woodvale had any flying activity ?
And the million dollar question where would we expect the Black Eagles to operate from ?

aviationcafe

Post by aviationcafe » Wed May 18, 2022 6:35 am

Hopefully I can answer a few questions as its been a few years since I've been there last
Doughnut wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 3:56 pm

OK so this news throws all sorts of questions to those who have been to a Southport airshow.
Seems they sell tickets for the Pier so assume the display line must be further out than that, do the public just sit it out on the beach at low tide ? Surely the Pier get horrendously packed out ?
Unfortunately the Pier doesn't get packed out as it isn't free to stand on it iirc £20 per day, whereas the tide never actually causes any problems with the show as in all the years I had been going to this it has never once come in during the show (its a good 2 miles from the sea wall to the tide at times) (see below for the usual crowd area etc)
Doughnut wrote:

What about display axis ? Does it simply follow the coast line at at approx 03/21, coincidently the same as Woodvales runway.
I'm not sure about the display line but its usually like below, they do occasionally have a little beachfront runway on the sand **If** the weather/beach is right and you'll get light aircraft/ultralights etc taking off from it
Doughnut wrote:
In the past has Woodvale had any flying activity ?
Usually the Helicopters use Woodvale as well as the Catalina/P51 etc
Doughnut wrote:
And the million dollar question where would we expect the Black Eagles to operate from ?
Possibly Leeming but that's definitely the million dollar question

Doughnut

Post by Doughnut » Wed May 18, 2022 8:33 am

Thanks for the quick reply. Surprised the display line is not further out to sea, I assume the full length of the pier / pavilion is not open to the public ?
Seem to remember there being arcades , ect at the end of the pier, with a tram service ? Been along time since family holidays in that area.

Flightline UK

Post by Flightline UK » Wed May 18, 2022 11:25 am

Display line is fixed 230m from the crowd barriers on the beach. You probably won't see the runways again (or aircraft operating from the beach).

The Pier is closed apart from an area behind the crowd line which is used as a hospitality area.

This is an image from the 2019 Southport Airshow showing just how clearly they can mark the display lines in the sand

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Wed May 18, 2022 11:59 am

Fast jets usually operate out of Liverpool (John Lennon) for the show.

The Cat

Post by The Cat » Thu May 19, 2022 5:19 pm

I fancied the 'Pier access' but sold out.
However is it worth me waiting to see if any become available ( I am on the waiting list as advised to do ) or is the general admission perfectly adequate ?

Flightline UK

Post by Flightline UK » Thu May 26, 2022 8:52 am

If you want to be as close as possible and don't mind a bit of mud you will be better off on the beach.

The promenade can get very busy and is quite distant from the display line.

csnewton2701

Post by csnewton2701 » Thu May 26, 2022 9:00 am

If your planning on driving that day then the beach is best. However, if you walk to the front of the crowd line they have it so you can set up chairs and sit at the front. Thats how I do it, used to pay Premier in prices and do all the days but not any more.

Return to “Other Airshows & Events”