Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Schiffli Patches

Do you collect patches or challenge coins, bought an interesting t-shirt from a base, some rare airshow programmes or even parts from military aircraft? This is the forum section for you!
roughcutter

Schiffli Patches

Post by roughcutter » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:23 am

I wonder if anyone here could enlighten me? I have quite a number of old USAF/USN squadron patches in my collection, that I've acquired over the years, some of them dating back to the 1960's & early 70's. A few of them because of the weave pattern in their design, are referred to as "Schiffli" patches, which gives a rough indication of the era when they were made.
However, for a while I rather naively assumed that Schiffli were the manufacturer/supplier of these Sqn patches to the US Military. In actual fact Schiffli are (or were?) the Swiss company who designed, built and exported the looms, which were supplied to the US manufacturers. I would be interested to learn the names of these companies, I know that some were based in New Jersey and (I think) maybe in New York?
So I would be grateful if anyone could shed some light.
Cheers, ML

ashamim

Re: Schiffli Patches

Post by ashamim » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:40 pm

'Lion Brothers' are probably the most famous.

lardyboy999

Post by lardyboy999 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:10 pm

ashamim wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:40 pm
'Lion Brothers' are probably the most famous.
Or AB Emblems who did a lot of the space program patches, as well as military in general, back then (and still do....)

Andy

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:14 pm

That'll do for a start, cheers guys :thumb:. In the 1990's I used to mail order from a US company called Aeroemblem, based outside Sheppard AFB (Texas) and run by a guy named Jerome Polder. But I think they were just dealers.

Return to “Military Aviation Memorabilia”