Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Scampton Air Show

Posts relating to information and discussion on the Scampton Airshow
adimale1981

Re: Scampton Air Show

Post by adimale1981 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:31 pm

airfixpilot wrote:Well it's too expensive for me. £39 + £2 online fee. Didn't go. Makes me very angry that they put admission prices higher every year, knowing that the draw is the Red Arrows for the general public. Like a red rag to the general public.
For us who are really interested, it's the same old thing. Same old planes on the static line with a few newbies. The same old tat of stalls with patches, books, military clothing, and aircraft models. Most plane spotter go to airfields to spot. And may travel miles to get there, or stay overnight. The problem is that military airfields are only open Monday to Friday. Not like airports.

I worked out that with estimated amount of people attending the Scampton airshows for the two days, they made approximately THREE MILLION in just admissions. This did not include the cost the traders paid for the patches.

Now I think the airshows in the UK, we're admissions are charged, are taking us and the public for a ride.

Please LOWER THE PRICE, and you are sure to get more people into the airshows. :@ :@

ps: I did attend the Monday scampton departures, but it was a complete washout with rain. Wish it had been fine as it only cost a £5. :(
I think 50k people going to Scampton and the usual near sell out for Fairford every year really do put your argument about being too expensive and 'tat' in the ditch. If you are interested, then go, you really contradict yourself...

The families it was aimed at didn't take such a grumpy view on it, they enjoyed what was on offer as a day out - I'll list some prices for families (2 adults + 2 kids) for places like Thomas World (£80), Peppa Pig World (£105), Alton Towers (£150). I think research is something the moaners aren't very good at. It is actually good value for the target audience.

So glad it rained Monday too - karma :thumbs:

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:18 pm

Since this is a military aviation forum then I dare say most members on here(myself for one) are only interested in and would only go for the modern military hardware on show, and have no interest in all the side shows and village fete feel of the all thing. With that in mind the cost was far too expensive for what was on show and what was billed way back when they started to sell the tickets. I wonder what the outcry would be if 95,000 turned up to a FA cup final against say Man City and Arsenal for both teams to field their U19 squad. A complete farce and nothing else.

ps Did I hear correctly that the Reds couldn't perform their full routine because one of the pilots opted to be elsewhere?

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:34 pm

Thunder wrote: ps Did I hear correctly that the Reds couldn't perform their full routine because one of the pilots opted to be elsewhere?
You did, the birth of his first child.

Don't think anyone can argue against this.

Sat:

Red 5 with his new child, Red 3 went U/s, so only Gypo flew. (looser plan only caters for 1 missing jet, not two)

Sun:

Just red 5 absent, good 8 ship flown.

Mike

airfixpilot
Location: Sth killingholme, Nth Lincolnshire. Home of the OIL Refinerys: LOL

Post by airfixpilot » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:47 pm

Final call guys,from me.
Been the first Scampton airshow, and the amount of unhappy comments, what would you consider a reasonable entrance fee?.

Would this reasonable entrance fee be for per car, or per person?. Would you like a consession for online payment, or reduced for age?. Last by no means least, Have a standard admission structure for all UK airshows?.

What's your views, as most of the airshow are for a benevolent charity?
I think that prices now are far beyond what normal families could afford.
Comments welcome.
WATCHING & LISTENING IN LINCOLNSHIRE
Keep Calm & Carry On, Stay Positive & Chill.

Chill to Military Airband in the background with a coffee & Biscuits.
Listening into airband on the east coast of Lincolnshire.

David

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:25 pm

Like it or not the answer is down to simple economics. As long as people are prepared to pay the price then organisers are hardly likely to drop the price.

But here is a serious suggestion for all those who are complaining. How about a few of you organise yourselves to meet with the organisers to put your points forward and see what the responses are?

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:13 pm

The feedback survey on the website is very in depth. Would suggest people try that avenue.

I don't follow football, but how much is it to watch 22 men kick an air filled sack around for 90 mins these days?

Scampton 39 pounds, 5 hours flying, so 7.80 an hour.

Newcastle v Stoke this weekend, 46 pounds upwards, so circa 30 an hour?

Pretty decent return (yes I know not as good as Waddington was or Fairford is).

Mike

sft

Post by sft » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:30 am

We have very few airshows these days, so I have to say its good to have another one in the calendar.... and happy they decided on a different month to July, as we all know that month can get rather busy, with little else afterwards. Personally, I like a mix of some modern and some warbirds. Also many people I met were from further north and they were pleased that they now had something nearer them.
Now I fully understand it was pricey for what was on offer, but it was the first and hopefully it will improve. The aircraft line up was mediocre and the weather was very unsettled, so to get 50k plus was not a bad outcome. The airfield at Scampton seems more restricted for space (in many ways) and I question, if prices had been £15-20 per adult and the weather had been good, whether they could have managed with 100-150k visitors.

Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:36 am

reaper493 wrote:The feedback survey on the website is very in depth. Would suggest people try that avenue.
It's rubbish.

I tried it and at the question of 'How do you rate the Wi-Fi on the field' you can only respond by saying it was good or poor. Well, I didn't use it so I don't know, the thing is the survey does not allow you to carry on to the next question without answering good or poor ....

So that was the survey, I rate it on the same percentage as the aircraft event, very low.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:58 am

Tally-ho wrote: the question of 'How do you rate the Wi-Fi on the field'
The show was a success as people had good wifi :whistle: . I don't suppose there is a question "how do you rate the aircraft on the field"?

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:26 am

There were questions about the static, the flying display, all show areas, the parking etc, then space at the end to add comments.

Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:53 am

Thunder wrote:
Tally-ho wrote: the question of 'How do you rate the Wi-Fi on the field'
The show was a success as people had good wifi :whistle: . I don't suppose there is a question "how do you rate the aircraft on the field"?
There are questions as regards the static display and the flying display, which I answered. However, my answers could not be submitted because I couldn't get past the Wi-Fi question. I also don't know whether there may have been more aircraft questions further into the survey, which I would have loved to answer.

For the record:-
After my unsuccessful participation in their survey, I sent them a message, using the message link on the Facebook page of Scampton Airshow. This got me an automated response referring me to the FAQ section of their 'Airshow'. When I clicked on that link it was all about questions and answers as if the 'Airshow' is still to take place. :roll: :lol:

Here's that link - https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A% ... eEca3rNtgw

The usefulness of the survey together with the response from the Facebook page of Scampton Airshow, is as bad as the content of that five day event.

PR9

Post by PR9 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:51 pm

Only thing arrivals on Friday was lacking was a beer tent. :roll:
MISSING - x1 Air Force.
If found please return to the UK.

quid21

Post by quid21 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:30 pm

Having read all the criticism about the display line up, I chose to go with low expectations, and I enjoyed the show. Parking was great, line up needed work, but all in all I enjoyed it. Was it worth the money - probably not, but I always compare prices with Airfete, and times have changed. After the wash out at RIAT on the Saturday, I approached the weather with caution, and I experienced the first thunder and lightning ever at an airshow! Shame is wasn't an EE Lightning ;)

The airfield is in varying states of dilapidation but it was interesting to see the old 617 briefing room on the way in.

The Swedish statics were great and well thought through, the Hunter statics were good. Just need a few more flying aircraft.

peasus911

Post by peasus911 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:44 pm

[quote="quid21"]Having read all the criticism about the display line up, I chose to go with low expectations, and I enjoyed the show.

That's exactly what I did. I camped from Saturday to Monday (All for £32 including power) and went into the show on Sunday. Chose to upgrade and use the Garden. Walked the static and watched the show. Yes, could have been more aircraft on the ground and in the air but I did enjoy the day including the historical aspects of Scampton.
I am also astounded by the criticism of the "Visitor Comment" issues. The cadets were everywhere at the end of the show handing out postcards for you to fill in your comments on (and before anyone has a go about having to pay for a stamp, it was prepaid). The post cards were also at every exit point and they were also in the Programme if you had purchased one. The organisers seem to have gone to a lot of trouble to get peoples views and although I enjoyed the show I did give a little negative feedback on my online feedback. I felt the on site parking being the opposite end to the Garden Enclosure could have been closer. I also expected a table in the enclosure and expressed my opinion on that also.
We do all have different ideas on the "perfect Show" but I did actually make a point of looking around at the public inside and it did seem to me to be made up more of families than at any of the other shows I had attended this season. I have already booked the Monday off work for next year so I can come back to the show. I will decide later if I will attend when I see the line up taking shape. The past few days have been interesting watching the comments being posted. Lets all hope we get what we want at next years show. :thumbs:

68001pg

Post by 68001pg » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:40 pm

from what I heard on Monday , there giving scampton another 2 years to see if it is going to take off(no pun intended)
if not it will finish before it 's had a chance.
I would just like to say that I went on departures day and if it hadn't been for the weather or the gyro having an accident it was
an enjoyable day,plenty of room for loads of photographers and very close to the runway.

for the £5-00 entrance fee it was well worth the money.

I think instead of putting the show down let's just see what happens next year , hopefully if it doubles in size with
aircraft it is a step in the right direction

Flightline UK

Post by Flightline UK » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:44 pm

68001pg wrote:from what I heard on Monday , there giving scampton another 2 years to see if it is going to take off(no pun intended)
Well, that's because the initial agreement between the RAF and Scampton Airshow Ltd/RAFCTE last three years!

Return to “Scampton”