Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Last Day Working at Lyneham

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Lyneham here
liam_lyneham

Last Day Working at Lyneham

Post by liam_lyneham » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:36 am

Well the Visiting aircraft section at RAF Lyneham has now Closed, and im redundant :'(

Took a quick drive round yesterday and took a few shots of the airfield and Technical site. For anyone who has ever Worked there or visitied, you can really see how dead the place looks, its like a ghost town.

1. C-130 to be scrapped

2.again

3. the other 2 to be scrapped

4. A Drive round the Tech site, Ghost town or what! :( empty car parks and everything..

5. The Empty pan, showing its age by Grass sprouting through cracks etc :(

6. VASS (My home for last 3-4 years)

ZAPs Collected over the years

and.. The last aircraft i handled on my last day, Royal Jordanian Falcons, Very Friendly crew :)

.. Im Gonna Miss working at Lyneham, Been there 12 years, straight out of school. :'(

sad times.

scanman

Re: Last Day Working at Lyneham

Post by scanman » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:31 pm

Good "insider" photos. Not been to Lyneham but you can sense from the photos how quiet it is there.

Sean Mac

Post by Sean Mac » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:58 pm

Very Sad Looking Photos indeed, Big Shame to see Lyneham Go the Flying Club did a Couple of Flybys Yesterday in a Seven Ship Formation and that was are farwell flight from Lyneham shame I missed it. Realy going to miss Lyneham everyone was so Friendly there.

Sean.
Equipment
Canon EOS 80D x 2
Uniden 125XLT with Watson W-901 Aerial & Skyscan Desktop Antenna.
http://www.facebook.com/seanmcrandleaviationimages

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:04 pm

Stopped in Lee Delamare services yesterday on our way to Fairford and thats the first time i havent seen any Herk's in the circuit at Lyneham :'(

Been to Lyneham many times, such a sad loss and a stupid decision again to close it as a RAF base! all transports now based at a base with 1 runway, the saying "too many eggs in one basket" comes to mind!

Farewell Lyneham and thanks for the memories, you will always be "Home Of The Hercules" :thumb:
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

robin

Post by robin » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:32 pm

Hi liam_lyneham

Many thanks for your photo's, having visited Lyneham many time, it is a shame that it has closed as an active operational airfield for the Hercules fleet, and the proud work Lyneham has undertaking when especially dealing with difficult issues, and aircraft over many, many years.

Of special thanks must thew work given/undertaking to those returning to the UK and given a sad but welcome home for their last time, and for Wotton Basset.

While I am sorry that you are nolonger working at Lyneham, hopefully you will find your future employment as interesting as your work at Lyneham VAS.

Finally, has it been confirmed that the three Hercules will be broken up, especially as it appears that Lyneham will now become a Techinical Training School, including as I understand for Airframe work????

GaryS

Post by GaryS » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:43 pm

Sad times....
Best of luck to you Liam.thanks for all the heads up,photos and info you've posted on here.its appreciated.

fender stratocaster

Post by fender stratocaster » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:09 am

Best of luck to you mate many a fond year was spent for me at Lyneham mate the highlight is when one of the ground crew take me up inside the vulcan due to her fist flight of the year last july and again august last year Martin Withers take me up inside her as well and let me sit in his seat proudest moment of my life sitting capatains seat of the only airworthy vulcan in the world so tell me Liam what day was the Jordanian Falcons in there im sure i heard them on my scanner on the Wednesday or the Thursday before Fairford show and did you deal with them US Navy F-18 Hornets that flew in there a few months back for refuelling at nightime as i heard them on my scanner down here in Chippenham too

Phil Chippenham

liam_lyneham

Post by liam_lyneham » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:09 pm

fender stratocaster wrote:Best of luck to you mate many a fond year was spent for me at Lyneham mate the highlight is when one of the ground crew take me up inside the vulcan due to her fist flight of the year last july and again august last year Martin Withers take me up inside her as well and let me sit in his seat proudest moment of my life sitting capatains seat of the only airworthy vulcan in the world so tell me Liam what day was the Jordanian Falcons in there im sure i heard them on my scanner on the Wednesday or the Thursday before Fairford show and did you deal with them US Navy F-18 Hornets that flew in there a few months back for refuelling at nightime as i heard them on my scanner down here in Chippenham too

Phil Chippenham
The Jordanians were in This monday, fairford departure day. And yes i was up til 3am with the F-18s, search my posts to find the thread. :thumb:

Cheers Guys. ive absolutly Adored my job :). Really going to miss the place :(

RickIngham

Post by RickIngham » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:02 pm

Liam, thanks for your help over the last few years! It's far too quiet around here now :'( Your pictures are frightening!

Good luck!

Chris IL-76

Post by Chris IL-76 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:54 pm

Good luck Liam in whatever you do next.

I will miss Lyneham personally as I especially liked walking around the footpath/bridleway to the western end to get VERY CLOSE pictures.

A real shame. Another bit of history gone.

Regards
Chris

pawlee1

Post by pawlee1 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:48 pm

Hi Liam,
Very sad day chap. :'(
I've seen some very nice planes in Lyneham over the years and very sad to end up that way.
Hope you can find decent job and thanks for your posts and piccies.
Cheers
pawlee

Mike

Post by Mike » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:57 pm

All the best Liam for the future - that's yet another airfield gone :'( - thanks for all your info and photos over the years fella, very much appreciated.
This season, I'll be mostly wearing........A THONG!

uppergreen1

Post by uppergreen1 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:29 pm

liam
just seen your pics on the forum,fantastic memories for me i worked in that building when it was "varef",thats role equipment as it was in the 80s,we used to help out vas sometimes as well,great place to work,on weekends id ride my motorbike across the pan and park in the shed with all the spare role kit,back breaking work and busy as hell,especially when the falklands kicked off.loved seeing the old crew room,knocked out some zzzzzzzzzs in there and seen a few films to!!!,very sad to see it all run down,would there be any chance of you sending me some larger pics?,id be very gratefull if you could.thanks very much for posting the pics any way,good luck to you in the future,cheers stu............. .

liam_lyneham

Post by liam_lyneham » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:51 pm

Cheers mate, Yes of course i can send you them, PM me your email address and i'll send you as many VAS ones as i have :)

Yeh i spent a good 4 years in VAS/Role, best job i ever had. Miss it so much, :'( . i

Return to “RAF Lyneham”