Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Comets Gone

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Lyneham here
chazzer

Comets Gone

Post by chazzer » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:48 am

I read from Lyneham Village onlines Parish Council monthly meetings that the Comet Gate Gardian has finally been dismantled and the front nose section taken to a museum at Boscombe Down.
Aparently the MOD wanted it moved by 17th November to make way for rebuilding of the site.
chazzer :huh: :huh: :huh:

tm74sqn

Re: Comets Gone

Post by tm74sqn » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:35 am

XK699/7971M was the Comet C.2 that had been gate-guard at RAF Lyneham since October 1986. Aircraft scrapped, but forward section saved - noted on lorry at Lyneham 12 November and arrived at Old Sarum airfield 13 November, where it is with the other Boscombe Down museum aircraft, etc.
HTH TM74

Paulgul

Post by Paulgul » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:22 pm

I appreciate this is an old thread, but wondered if anyone may be interested in a short photo blog I published on the Lyneham comet here http://www.ipgphotography.com/blog/2013 ... dian-xk699
The photos were taken in May 1987

Plane Speaker

Post by Plane Speaker » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:18 pm

Paulgul wrote:I appreciate this is an old thread, but wondered if anyone may be interested in a short photo blog I published on the Lyneham comet here http://www.ipgphotography.com/blog/2013 ... dian-xk699
The photos were taken in May 1987
Thanks for posting these Paul. I have a special interest in this Comet as my log shows as a 14-year old ATC cadet, I flew in XK699 on a 2-hour training flight on 7th August 1964 out of Lyneham. After she was retired in 1967, she spent several years in store at Henlow, but I was lucky to see her arrive back at Lyneham by road in October 1986, then newly restored on the gate as you have photographed her.
Went down to Old Sarum last Sunday to see the sad sight of her nose, looking very delapidated outside the Boscombe Down Museum and hope they restore that at least.

Paulgul

Post by Paulgul » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:51 am

Plane Speaker wrote: Went down to Old Sarum last Sunday to see the sad sight of her nose, looking very dilapidated outside the Boscombe Down Museum and hope they restore that at least.
It's a great shame more wasn't done to look after the aircraft whilst it was at Lyneham, I don't know how much longer it would have lasted if Lyneham had not closed down.
Paul

Return to “RAF Lyneham”