Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

To 'BB' or Not To 'BB'

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Fairford here
Snoop 95

To 'BB' or Not To 'BB'

Post by Snoop 95 » Fri May 27, 2022 7:12 am

Some of the U2's show their base tailcode and others don't. Why this should happen his has always puzzled me. There are photo's by Jutter in the Current section taken on the same day recently where there are two U2's, one has the 'BB' tailcode and the other does not. I seem to recall reading that they have to cover the code whilst operating from the UK for some reason, but this plainly does not always happen.
Can anyone explain the situation please?
Last edited by Snoop 95 on Fri May 27, 2022 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reubenacott

Re: To 'BB' or Not To 'BB'

Post by Reubenacott » Fri May 27, 2022 7:35 am

I think it was because 99th ers isn’t assigned to 9th 9rw so want to give the jets an identity while away from Beale

tm74sqn

Post by tm74sqn » Fri May 27, 2022 8:26 am

Snoop 95 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:12 am
Some of the U2's show their base tailcode and others don't. Why this should happen his has always puzzled me. There are photo's by Manno in the Current section taken on the same day recently where there are two U2's, one has the 'BB' tailcode and the other does not. I seem to recall reading that they have to cover the code whilst operating from the UK for some reason, but this plainly does not always happen.
Can anyone explain the situation please?
According to the photo captions, the photos of the two U-2s were actually taken one day apart - 80-1076 on 11 May 2022, and 68-10329 on 12 May 2022. Just nit-picking, I'm afraid, and it doesn't make any difference to your interesting comments.
To me, whether 'BB' is worn or not is purely random but who knows - not me anyway!

Mortz

Post by Mortz » Sat May 28, 2022 8:52 pm

Reubenacott wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:35 am
I think it was because 99th ers isn’t assigned to 9th 9rw so want to give the jets an identity while away from Beale
Nope. It has always been common practice for the 'BB" tail code to be removed when U2s have been deployed overseas with any degree of longevity. None of the airframes deployed to Akrotiri or the Far East have ever sported tail codes, although they have belonged to Beale. Sometimes they are painted over in theatre, sometimes prior to deployment.

SamP
Administrator

Post by SamP » Sat May 28, 2022 9:18 pm

Mortz wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 8:52 pm
Reubenacott wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:35 am
None of the airframes deployed to Akrotiri or the Far East have ever sported tail codes, although they have belonged to Beale. Sometimes they are painted over in theatre, sometimes prior to deployment.
Incorrect, most Osan airframes based with the 5th RS retain their BB tail codes as you can see from images documented from there over the years. The 1st ERS at Akrotiri and the 99th ERS when based at Al Dhafra tended to remove the tail codes (but not always!) and that appears to have carried over to Fairford. In recent times it’s clearly not been a priority as 066 kept its BB tail code during its time here and 076 appears to be doing the same.

I’ve personally never understood why they go to the effort of removing the tail code, the U-2’s a unique aircraft and their home in modern times has always been Beale. I can’t think of another example of a USAF asset that removes its tail code when deploying. Front line fighters and bombers from a variety of different bases employing weapons on targets don’t remove their tail codes when down range, so it can’t be a crew security issue?

Snoop 95

Post by Snoop 95 » Sun May 29, 2022 6:47 am

Another 'Black jet' with a similar role to the U2, the SR71 'Blackbird' never had a tail code at all if I remember correctly. Only its tail number was there.
Seems that there is no definitive reason for having or removing said tail-code! Very interesting replies, thanks guys.

Merlin131

Post by Merlin131 » Sun May 29, 2022 7:14 am

It would appear the BB coded U-2s at Fairford are the ones arriving from the US on rotation, they then have their BB removed / painted over. I’ve never photographed a mission fit U-2 at Fairford with the a tail code.

mushbuster

Post by mushbuster » Sun May 29, 2022 7:46 am

Snoop, SR71s did have BB code added toward the end of their final operational period in the mid to late 90s
https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Air ... ird/282384
https://www.air-and-space.com/19961019% ... ar%20l.jpg
http://www.habu.org/sr-71/17971-tailart-9.html
Some of the museum aircraft still have the BB code on the tail
I have seen the second photo linked above where even the photo has had the BB edited out

In years gone by it was usually just a serial displayed. For some periods the serials were/are obscured or even altered to confuse the identities of deployed aircraft. Remember, unlike fighters and bombers, most reconnaissance aircraft are on active "combat" missions pretty much all the time they are deployed. The tail code and serial removal/changes were part of a program to confuse third party states of actual USAF mission/aircraft capabilities by altering the identities/numbers of certain aircraft. This was done in an age when aircraft types, numbers and operations were done under more secrecy than is possible now. The obscuring of BB is probably a hang over from those times and is likely directed for deployed aircraft by an USAF regulation.

Wobs58

Post by Wobs58 » Sun May 29, 2022 9:04 am

Merlin

I have visited Fairford twice this year and togged 3 U2s. My experience is different to yours!

331 coded BB with special wing commander markings and full mission fit.

329 uncoded ASARs nose.

076 coded BB with full mission fit.

All flew Black missions.

Wobs

xkekeith

Post by xkekeith » Sun May 29, 2022 10:49 am

My understanding was that the Fairford based U-2’s had the code removed as they were under a different command structure from the other detachments. There is the odd exception when a U-2 temporarily based operates a limited set of operational missions eg 80-1066 in early 2021.
Canon EOS RP & 7D II

Return to “RAF Fairford”