Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

SJ at the heath

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Lakenheath here
Raptor22

Re: SJ at the heath

Post by Raptor22 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:01 pm

Wow thanks slogan51 didnt realise that something else I've learned thankyou for your help

Just passing

Post by Just passing » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:14 pm

Thanks Raptor22 and Slogen51 for your comments, much appreciated. Think I'll try to visit this week, so hopefully they'll stay long enough!

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:00 pm

Has there been any further information as to when the SJ's will be returning to the US? I have seen January mentioned already but nothing further. I'm hoping to have a few days at Lakenheath after Christmas, Cheers. :thumb:

Tiger 1

Post by Tiger 1 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:27 pm

Like roughcutter... could I ask the same question? ... Is there any further info on the SJs departure from Lakenheath to the US.

I notice a KC46 from Seymour Johnson as gone into Prestwick today... would this be in preparation for the F15s departure from the Lakenheath?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

MTIA

T1

Golfer

Post by Golfer » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:39 pm

The SJ KC46 and a Beale 135 have been AAR training with each other from PIK on Sat & Sun, both arrived on Friday & rumoured to be here for 3-4 days, other than that is anybody’s guess.

Doughnut

Post by Doughnut » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:31 pm

Would it make sense for the tankers from the next F-35A delivery into Lakenheath take the SJ back home ?

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:40 pm

Given the unusual pattern of this deployment, I suspect there is more to it than we know/realise. Perhaps they're here as cover for whilst the 493rd draw down and the 495th work up. That way there remain 3 active squadrons at LN whilst the changeovers occur. If that's correct then they'll be here till the 495th are declared operational.

I realise having said that they'll depart for home tomorrow :D

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:22 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:40 pm
Given the unusual pattern of this deployment, I suspect there is more to it than we know/realise. Perhaps they're here as cover for whilst the 493rd draw down and the 495th work up. That way there remain 3 active squadrons at LN whilst the changeovers occur. If that's correct then they'll be here till the 495th are declared operational.

My thoughts..... I'm not sure you'd have a predominantly strike and ground attack aircraft provide any kind of cover for an air superiority type (E vs C). The 493 do not provide any sort of defence day to day via QRA etc. to the UK so there's not a role as such there to replace. If there was a need for the USAF to maintain a European based air defence type volume then, as we saw during type changes in the old war, I'd imagine an AFR or ANG F15 or F16 squadron would deploy and provide those numbers......

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:52 pm

Agent K wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:22 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:40 pm

My thoughts..... I'm not sure you'd have a predominantly strike and ground attack aircraft provide any kind of cover for an air superiority type (E vs C). The 493 do not provide any sort of defence day to day via QRA etc. to the UK so there's not a role as such there to replace. If there was a need for the USAF to maintain a European based air defence type volume then, as we saw during type changes in the old war, I'd imagine an AFR or ANG F15 or F16 squadron would deploy and provide those numbers......
Purely conjecture on my part, but once the 493rd F15C's are removed then there won't be any dedicated USAF air superiority in Europe anyway. F-35 is similar to F-15E in it's role. F-15E can do air superiority - although agree that's not it's normal role. I just wonder if there is a requirement for USAFE to have a declared number of operational squadrons available to NATO. Putting F-15E into a base that already operates the type simplifies support until the F-35 squadron is up to speed, and allows any F-15C specific equipment to be withdrawn.

As I say, speculation, but if they stick around till the 495th are declared operational and then go home it'll be fairly convincing to me.

Tiger 1

Post by Tiger 1 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:21 pm

Thanks for your thoughts and info guys.. Its very much appreciated...let's hope they stay around for another couple of weeks or so.

T1

Alf

Post by Alf » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:17 pm

Maybe they are sticking around while Russia is still building up its forces on the Ukraine border, save them going home then coming back again soon if it all escalates.

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:25 am

Malcolm wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:52 pm

Purely conjecture on my part, but once the 493rd F15C's are removed then there won't be any dedicated USAF air superiority in Europe anyway. F-35 is similar to F-15E in it's role. F-15E can do air superiority - although agree that's not it's normal role. I just wonder if there is a requirement for USAFE to have a declared number of operational squadrons available to NATO. Putting F-15E into a base that already operates the type simplifies support until the F-35 squadron is up to speed, and allows any F-15C specific equipment to be withdrawn.

As I say, speculation, but if they stick around till the 495th are declared operational and then go home it'll be fairly convincing to me.
Agreed Malcolm, yes, I alluded to maintaining declared numbers there, although via alternate means. Whatever the reason, it was nice to spend a day at the fence yesterday and see different F15E's and also the SJ crews wearing yellow bonedomes.

Return to “RAF Lakenheath”