Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Wattisham viewing

Please post movements and activities to do with AAC Wattisham here
parkrage

Wattisham viewing

Post by parkrage » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:05 pm

Good afternoon all, I was thinking of visiting wattisham tomorrow, what are the chances of seeing anything?

Thanks in advance

slogen51

Re: Wattisham viewing

Post by slogen51 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:52 pm

I only visit two or three times a year and I only live 30-40 miles away - should go more often

It is well worth a visit as there are usually 4 -6 Apaches flying during the day.

Viewing is ok - I like sitting at the Eastern end of the runway if they are landing that way although I think most people park at the war memorial which gives good views across the field.

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:10 pm

Seeing the title takes me back to my last visit many years ago catching the last 74 Sqdn Phantoms land before the squadron disbanded. Pretty sure it was a Friday. I've got a photo of myself as a little kid saluting, next to the gate guard which I think was a Lightning? Or have I got the wrong base?

Thanks
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

Mike

Post by Mike » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:32 pm

I've not been for a while either, but these were taken on my most recent visit, which wasn't recently! ............

This season, I'll be mostly wearing........A THONG!

Yammer

Post by Yammer » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:50 pm

nostalgia.

parkrage good luck with your 2019 visit and let us know what you see - thanks
Shobdon Blog - Residents photo list

https://shobdonegbsblog.blogspot.com/

gary1701

Post by gary1701 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:26 pm

Hi,

As one of the locals, and one of the very few who tries and photographs around the base here's a few pointers.

Wattisham is always quiet post Op Herrick, as said above it's a few Apache sorties during the day but that's it normally. Wattisham's runway is off limits to all fixed wing traffic besides visiting light GA types due to wear. The Northern lay by next to the memorial is the best bet for observing, as it will give you a clear but distant view of the main ASP. Expect to only see a couple of Apaches out at the most. The only regular visitors are AAC/RAF helo traffic that pop in for a refuel, which is probably a couple of times a week. As you're on the North side photography is distant and obstructed by a tall fence Mildenhall/Lakenheath style. Also, the sun, if available will be in front of you. There is a gap in the crash gate where you can poke a lens through but it has a limited field of view. Here is what can be achieved on a summers evening with the sun behind you at this spot and a 400mm lens. You can't do this outside the height of summer.

The track that goes up to the fence at the end runway 23 and the Eastern approach is also available, but the only parking on this farm track is a small grass area off the track about two thirds of the way up - remember it's access to a crash gate. Viewing for 23 approaches is fine but for photography, approaches are generally high although walking down the fence away from the approach may reduce this slightly. If you park up here the MPGS security patrol may take a interest and come and have a word as they're not that used to visitors!

Overall, at this time of year I would say take a good book and be prepared. One final thought, despite a lot of speculation - including on FC - that the base is imminent for closure the current indications locally is that it looks far safer for the long term than at any time since the speculation started. There's considerable infrastructure work going on and more planned - a brand new radar is being installed at the moment to replace the unreliable off base feed from the antenna at Honington. No guarantees obviously, but the signs are good.

Gary
My photo website

My name's Wild Bill Kelso, and don't you forget it! - John Belushi, 1941.

Yammer

Post by Yammer » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:46 pm

That's good insight - thanks Gary
Shobdon Blog - Residents photo list

https://shobdonegbsblog.blogspot.com/

parkrage

Post by parkrage » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:26 am

Thanks everyone for information, if I get to see anything I'll share it with you.

Many kind regards
Ian

09andrew

Post by 09andrew » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:11 am

Are the HAS’s used for the Apache’s? The northern HAS complex looks fenced off??

gary1701

Post by gary1701 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:01 am

Hi,

Apaches only operate from the main ASP. Southern HAS site is used for storage. The gliding club and the museum have some of the Northern shelters. The area you've seen with shelters that have been extended is a site of great speculation locally. It was built a few years ago and it's purpose is unknown. Even the regular personnel on the base do not know what it is. It never receives any publicity. Hope that helps.

Gary
My photo website

My name's Wild Bill Kelso, and don't you forget it! - John Belushi, 1941.

Return to “AAC Wattisham”