Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Worth a visit?

Please post movements and activities to do with AAC Wattisham here
Damien

Worth a visit?

Post by Damien » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:45 pm

Evening All,

I have the chance of some time off work next week. There's been a lot of Apache action over where I live recently which suggests quite a bit going on at Wattisham, there's also been some Chinooks heading to and from that direction. Appreciate any visit is likely to be pot luck but is there any particular pattern to the flying from the base, i.e. good times to visit?

Any advice anyone can offer gratefully received!

Many thanks

Damien

gary1701

Re: Worth a visit?

Post by gary1701 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:32 pm

Damien,

It depends what you're looking for. If it's just to view then any time from late morning onward is worth a punt, but even when Wattisham is 'busy' it's not busy by standards of, say Lakenheath of Coningsby. The only pattern I would say is avoid mornings, as the AAC frequently fly late nights, often well past midnight, so they're not fond of AM sorties. Besides that, I can only say it's pot luck. If you're lucky, you may see a couple Apache movements an hour, but frequently you won't even see that.

If you're looking for photography then you're very much under a strict set of circumstances. Taking into account the geography of the base then you're looking at evenings from about 6PM for a hour or two from the North side fence. Earlier in the day finds the sun in the wrong place and if it's cloudy. forgot it, Apaches don't show up well! I can be more specific if you want so if you have any further questions fire away.

Have a look at some of my other posts in this, the Wattisham section where there is some further info, also my current post in the photography section (updated a few minutes ago!) which shows what you can achieve photography wise when conditions are with you.

Gary
My photo website

My name's Wild Bill Kelso, and don't you forget it! - John Belushi, 1941.

Damien

Post by Damien » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:21 pm

Hi Gary,

Many thanks indeed for taking the time to reply - some very handy hints there. Photography is what I'm after, I got a discounted Tamron 150-600 in the January sales which I haven't had chance to try out properly yet and it's burning a hole in my camera bag, so to speak!!!

That's a cracking set of photos you've got on the other thread - looks like I'll have to pay a visit one evening and see what I can do.

Many thanks

Damien

gary1701

Post by gary1701 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:30 am

Hi again Damien,

Sounds good. Just make sure its a Monday to Thursday and if you can, check on here at the heads up section or have a look at one of the ADS-B tracking sites before coming over to see if it's worthwhile as many evenings they won't even be operating and it would save a wasted visit. Your best place to start is on country lane that borders the Northern side of the field and work you way around from there, the memorial and layby at mid point of the field is a good starting point.

Gary
My photo website

My name's Wild Bill Kelso, and don't you forget it! - John Belushi, 1941.

Damien

Post by Damien » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:47 pm

Many thanks again Gary. Yes I was thinking the memorial looked like a good place to park, and ADS-B Exchange is fast becoming one of my most visited sites!

Cheers

Damien

Return to “AAC Wattisham”