Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Last Day at Linton 6/8/19 ?

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Linton-on-Ouse here
Rhubarb

Last Day at Linton 6/8/19 ?

Post by Rhubarb » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:53 am

Would it be my last visit to Linton as an active airfield ? I sincerely hope not, but all the conversations I had seemed to indicate the writing was to be put on the runways in the shape of X’s :unsure: For those of you that have never visited, it’s such a pleasant place. The ever present breeze, views to Sutton Bank, hardly any car noise and usually the wonderful songs from the Skylarks. Unusually I cannot remember hearing one this visit ! Perhaps they are too sad to sing ? Anyway drying the tears away, to my report. Four Tucarno’s and thee Grobs were on the apron. No’s ZF140,142,147,139, 346 came out later. The others were on a Nav exercise at Valley. The complete apron was laid out with extingwhishers which may be routine ? Perhaps some one can tell us. Out came the sandwiches and flask. “Wait, there goes the RT”only got 12 but it was going for the ILS and a L.A. There she was five miles out from 21. Quite a lot of haze around her! A Typhoon perhaps ? Then she came :clap: my first F35b lightning. “Noisy she was” with her fan hood up pulling away and then she was gone ! “Made my day it did” ! A chap came from the Norwich area and we had a long chat about all things aviation. Not a lot else happened activity wise, solo flights, practice pans the usual training stuff. All usual for them but a dream for us wannabe,s ! I gentleman arrived who was ex RAF ATC and we had over an hours very interesting conversation in which he kindly corrected and improved my ATC understanding. Apparently the reason for building the new tower at Linton “I did not know this” was to improve the visibility when aircraft do RH circuits from 10 and LHs from 28 “I hope I’ve got that right” ? Well it seems all aircraft will be gone from Linton sometime in October should the worst happen. Another interesting bit of gen received was that not all the decisions on fast jet streaming are taken at Linton. Apparently they can tell who will make the grade at Cranwell. The viewing area had to clear twice for fuel bowsers carrying 20000 litres of a Avtur, these bowsers had 12 litre American engines in them said there crew. The phone rang “your tea will be ready in an hour” said the boss ! So chairs loaded and that’s it from Linton ! Hopefully we will get to know when the last flight past will be so we can all go and have a good sob :'(
"A Rhubarb" is a sortie of opportunity !

slogen51

Re: Last Day at Linton 6/8/19 ?

Post by slogen51 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:32 am

Nice report

I only visited Linton three of four times on the back of trips to Leeming.

I agree Linton is a lovely place to sit and watch aircraft. My memory is of waiting for some Tucanos to taxi and then from seemingly nowhere a Tornado GR4 flew extremely low over the airfield and banked away, I didn't hear anything on the box and didn't have time to reach for the camera.

halky68

Post by halky68 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:49 am

Its true that the tucano goes in October but there will still be YUAS and AEF flying at Linton after the october departure of the Tucano but for how long we are not sure. As far as X on the runways are concerned I haven't seen any..

ARFA2

Post by ARFA2 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:17 pm

Nice piece,Rhubarb.Linton is a good place to be on a decent day.The Lightnings are quite frequent visitors doing their PD's,on the right day,when they're using 03 straight over my house!According to unsubstantiated rumours-we might be losing the Tucs but gaining some interesting visitors.And for the bird watchers-the Buzzards do fly pasts,and there are Whitethoats to be seen.

ozzieparky

Post by ozzieparky » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:54 pm

ARFA2, that sounds intriguing - really hope there's something up the sleeve so that it stays open. Care to enlighten us with the details (obviously with the normal caveats of being wholly unsubstantiated and likely to change at zero notice...)

vapes

Post by vapes » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:16 pm

I made my 1st visit and probably last visit on Friday 13th Sept, I had emailed them back in June seeking permission to get a picture of the Tucano gate guard and deeper inside the JP, but didnt get a reply, so I took a chance and drove up. Went to the guard room and explained what I had done, they rang the relevant person but no answer so was refused access, but i did ask about when its closing and was told October this year !

Phoon

Post by Phoon » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:32 am

ARFA2 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:17 pm
Nice piece,Rhubarb.Linton is a good place to be on a decent day.The Lightnings are quite frequent visitors doing their PD's,on the right day,when they're using 03 straight over my house!According to unsubstantiated rumours-we might be losing the Tucs but gaining some interesting visitors.And for the bird watchers-the Buzzards do fly pasts,and there are Whitethoats to be seen.
Sadly unlikely to happen. It's closing and the MOD have stated they have no further use for the site. Initial Disposal process started.

Return to “RAF Linton-on-Ouse”