Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

A grand idea perhaps !

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Linton-on-Ouse here
Rhubarb

A grand idea perhaps !

Post by Rhubarb » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:15 am

It’s silly o’clock and I can’t sleep so I’m doing the usual tour around fighter control. What about this for an idea, but I am sure someone on the base will have already suggested something similar though. If it really is to close and I like many others hope it never will ! Perhaps they could have an open day for the benefit of RAF charities ? Not an air show as that would take much more organisation. But a day for the locals and us appreciative anoraks to look around ! One idea would be to allow cars to set off from the apron like an aircraft to drive down the taxiway to the end of the main runway, then line up for a simulated take off. To then taxi back via the helipad to the apron. I would really love to do that in my RAV4. You could have a small amount of static aircraft displays plus hangar tours and the like. I’m sure correctly advertised it would be well attended. Just a thought at 01:07 Zulu on Sunday. I will try and get to sleep again. Perhaps if I try counting Tucarno’s zzzzzzzzzzzz
"A Rhubarb" is a sortie of opportunity !

two1938

Re: A grand idea perhaps !

Post by two1938 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:34 am

Iremember visits to the control tower control tower and driving the runway in a fire tender

two1938

Post by two1938 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:35 am

Also an ideal place for the Reds

halky68

Post by halky68 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:35 am

One thing which might be worth considering is that for larger formations of aircraft and a 6 mile exclusion when the reds are in the air, the GA airfields of Full Sutton to the East of York, Sherburn and Leeds East to the South not forgetting the glider site at Rufforth just to the west of York and the main airports of Leeds Bradford and Teesside would all come into play when making a decision..As for Linton they are now in Phase 2 of a 5 Phase drawdown which includes getting rid of all tucano airframes on base with the final RAF withdrawl from the site by 2023.

two1938

Post by two1938 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:01 pm

Just shows we cannot always be right however I wll miss the Tucanos in the same way I miss the Vulcan flying in the clear skies over our Caravan site

two1938

Post by two1938 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:05 pm

Interesting to say I have never seen a conflction in all the time I have been in the Ripon Harrogate areas and that has included the Red Arrows I simply feel the RAF has abandoned Yorkshire( Biased or What )

baz1

Post by baz1 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:50 am

a grand day out with Wallace and Gromit springs to mind
Comfortably Numb

Return to “RAF Linton-on-Ouse”