Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

End of flying 9 regiment AAC

Please post movements and activities to do with AAC Dishforth here
Yorkshire82

End of flying 9 regiment AAC

Post by Yorkshire82 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:09 am

For anybody that may not know, this weekend saw the parade of 9 Regiment AAC to mark their disbandment. Official disbandment isn`t until June but as of the weekend just gone 23-24th April there is no more flying. Personnel will be based with the various other AAC Regiments around the country. 9 Regiment will merge with 1 Regiment AAC in Yeovilton to operate Lynx Wildcat.
Royal Logistics Corps troops from Germany will take over Dishforth later this year.
Next month i think is when the Lynx helicopters that are left at Dishforth will fly down south.

End of an era!

Peted

Re: End of flying 9 regiment AAC

Post by Peted » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:50 am

Hi Yorkshire - thanks for the update - I saw it was happening...one question - is it known what are the plans for the airfield after final departure of the Regiment ?
Thanks
PeteD, York

Yorkshire82

Post by Yorkshire82 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:37 pm

As far as i`m aware troops coming home from Germany will take over. It will become a logistics base, whether the runway and associated bits will be kept up to scratch for helicopter deployments, i don`t know. I imagine they would.

Graham

Post by Graham » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:58 pm

Whilst I've been waiting for this announcement, I can report activity at the base this pm.ZG915 AAC 965 is currently flying and when I passed earlier on the way back from Linton there was one Lynx departing and at least 2 more on the ground.

Yorkshire82

Post by Yorkshire82 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:51 pm

Yes, i`ve seen this today Graham. Either the information about the stoppage of flying is wrong or they are just using up their flying hours, maybe a few flights for groundcrew etc.
They are mainly flying in circles or point to point around the Boroughbridge area. They are not out for too long.

eoultram

Post by eoultram » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:44 pm

669 Sqn will be operating their 9a s out of Dishforth until around 13th May, they then move south to Middle Wallop to operate from there until their personnel move to Yeovilton later on in the year.

Return to “AAC Dishforth”