Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Church Fenton to close by years end

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Church Fenton & RAF Topcliffe here
David Thompson

Church Fenton to close by years end

Post by David Thompson » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:15 pm

Confirmation of the base closing , sad but not unexpected news ;
http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/1031230 ... d_of_year/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Youth is wasted on the young !

davski

Re: Church Fenton to close by years end

Post by davski » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:34 pm

Too right, it has been very quiet since the Tutors were grounded. Some night flying last week and earlier this evening. Shame.

robin

Post by robin » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:10 pm

David Thompson wrote:Confirmation of the base closing , sad but not unexpected news ;
http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/1031230 ... d_of_year/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any suggestion where the UAS and AEF will be moving too????????

Stuart Green

Post by Stuart Green » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:05 am

I've heard there moving the UAS upto Linton on Ouse
Stuart Green

Uniden UBC125XLT with a Watson W-881 aerial

https://www.flickr.com/photos/raptor9872/

Chris Procter

Post by Chris Procter » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:43 am

Amazes me how it has lasted so long with so little happening there in the last few years.. Topcliffe and Dishforth are the same with very little happening these days

davski

Post by davski » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:07 am

I imagine Church Fenton's loss will be Topcliffe's gain.

POL

Post by POL » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:02 am

So that's Church Fenton and Wyton gone, how long before "local" UAS' become "regional" UAS'?

davski

Post by davski » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:10 am

Just prior to it being a national UAS I'd guess!

smiler16

Post by smiler16 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:39 pm

well as you know topcliffes been resurfaced so you never know could move the little or so aircraft to there.
thanks groundsman rich

ColintheCaterpillar

Post by ColintheCaterpillar » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:57 pm

ChrisGlobe wrote:So that's Church Fenton and Wyton gone, how long before "local" UAS' become "regional" UAS'?
They have been for quite some time. They are now becoming co-located regions! I suspect as long as the current Sqn structure remains the same, we won't see anything more than the (logical) centralisation of flying assets; the Sqn town hqs really have to remain, or the training value and student contact would be eroded to almost pointless levels.

As for YUAS, Linton has been mentioned as being a dead cert, but there has to be a very strong flying (lots of busy, mixed type circuit traffic at Linton, less so at Leeming), budgetary, engineering and estates case to be co-located with NUAS at Leeming. Logistically Leeming, being 2 minutes from the A1 and probably easier to get a train from Northallerton than squeezing into York, could win too.

Typhoon73

Post by Typhoon73 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:23 pm

David Thompson wrote:Confirmation of the base closing , sad but not unexpected news ;
Is this why there's a bigger families day than usual?
T73.
Impiger et acer

RIP Len. Always missed. Never forgotten.

Jacob, 18.

davski

Post by davski » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:25 am

I heard that both Topcliffe and Fenton needed money spending on them, the bean-counters took into account that the site at Topcliffe is managed by the army, hence, no brainer. I gather the tower at Topcliffe is not as up-to-date/modern as Fenton's which seemed to be all Fenton had going for it as far as I can tell.
As someone closer to 50 than 40, who has lived in Fenton for most of his life, saw his first aircraft there in the 60's, his first airshow, sat in his first aircraft (Bulldog in '73), touched his first Spitfire (BM597) and, indeed, flew for the first time from there, it is a mighty wrench. However, for me it is more depressing seeing it run into the ground and I, for one, look forward to discovering what the future holds. Maybe some of the buildings will be retained, maybe a small museum room could be established on-site to tell its story - all this is more achievable in civilian ownership than military. In the meantime, lets enjoy the days it has left (thinks - I wonder how I can get invited to the families day!)

smiler16

Post by smiler16 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:16 pm

In all Fairness fentons Got More going for it than topcliffe. I can List loads. As for Towers topcliffes Is Quite modern compared to fenton. It goes on LOL.
Familes day be Good as i be there watching from near tower
thanks groundsman rich

davski

Post by davski » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:50 pm

I'll say hi if I can blag my way in!

davski

Post by davski » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:17 pm

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/selby_t ... _airfield/

Planning permission for 65 homes being sought for RAF Church Fenton already although it appears to be earmarked for the old technical site which hasn't been used since the FTS was closed. This was auctioned off in 2009 I believe, with the following outline of how it could be developed:

"The site falls within the adminsitrative area of Selby District Council and is designated as a Special Policy Area in the Deposit Draft of the local plan. Acceptable uses within this designation include Business (B1), Institutional (C2, B1) and Leisure and Tourism. Development of the site would be subject to obtaining the necessary consents."

Ah well...

davski

Post by davski » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:42 am

20th December quoted elsewhere as being the official closure date, I expect it will quietly slide off into oblivion with little fuss or fanfare.

GaryFenton

Post by GaryFenton » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:55 am

I currently work at Church Fenton in ATC engineering. Been here since it went civvy in 1988.
Sad to see it closing in December. :(
Since the label on my trousers says I'm a medium, what more proof do I need!

Return to “RAF Church Fenton & RAF Topcliffe”