Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Building over the airfield

Please post movements and activities to do with BAE Brough here
johnarro

Building over the airfield

Post by johnarro » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:41 am

The latest map I've seen showing the current state of the proposed developments south of the railway line (ie the small fields and Brough airfield) marks out an area that doesn't at the moment cross onto the runway. It seems to edge right up to the side of the northern taxiway, though :-/

You can find the map here:- http://tinyurl.com/42cya44" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OAP John

redfoxy

Re: Building over the airfield

Post by redfoxy » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:32 pm

I think you will find John that the green lines are just the proposed roads, there is a larger plan showing houses etc which are on the runway,which was published some time ago but the link doesn't work now.Best regards Paul.

teeonefixer

Post by teeonefixer » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:20 pm

I guess they'll develop the land piece by piece hence it'll take some time to develop that far across the railway line. Or hope it will, so the airfield can remain open on a PPO basis, at least, for a while longer.
All of the airframes that come in for rework of some sort arrive by road anyhow, so long may that continue as well !

David Thompson

Post by David Thompson » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:48 am

Planning submission for Brough housing project ;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-14790682" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Youth is wasted on the young !

pug

Post by pug » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:28 am

So it looks like if this is approved (and I have no doubt that it will be), then future visitors to BAe Brough site-if its still there-will by by a link road built on the runway. Not too long ago they may have arrived by Jetstream-31 on the runway.

Such a shame, the current airfield site would be perfect as a purpose built GA facility for Hull, unfortunately I guess the land is worth far more as a generic retail park (the likes of which current Brough residents do not want to see).

an2003dy

Post by an2003dy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:21 pm

Damn right we don't!! Keep the runway open! I quite like popping down when i get the heads up from someone i know who works there to watch a hawk, (albeit a rebuild) take off!

pug

Post by pug » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:02 am

Dreadful news today of 899 job losses and the closure of manufacturing at the Brough site.

johnarro

Post by johnarro » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:14 pm

G-BGRE (Martin Baker's ?) took off from Brough at about 15:45 local today.

Nice to see someone using the runway (first I've noticed since the last Hawk flew out some time this summer) even though it comes not long after 900 production staff were told to go home, leaving just 400 or so in the offices and stress testing.

I'd suggest that these days everyone's stress is getting well and truly tested :'(

teeonefixer

Post by teeonefixer » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:17 pm

I suppose it is still on a "prior permission only" use, as it was before there was the clearance to fly the Hawks out.

pug

Post by pug » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:15 pm

Has there been much use of the runway since they removed the car-park from the threshold a couple of years ago, with the obvious exception of the Hawk delivery flights?

I maintain that Brough would be an excellent GA/Business facility for the Hull area for anything that could land there (bigger stuff using Humberside like they used to HoSM??), Im hoping that ERYC see some sense and stop the redevelopment going ahead, particularly after the recent news of 900 jobs going. Just a thought but perhaps is BAe realise they will not be able to redevelop the site and make millions, it might convince them to explore other uses?

johnarro

Post by johnarro » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:54 pm

As I remember it at the time, when the ginormous Capper Pass chimney was known to be coming down and hence removing the huge protruding obstruction from the approach path from the East, a flying-training school was touting to come to Brough from Humberside, a helicopter training school was thinking along similar lines, Northern Foods - or Northern Pigs or some such - were looking to base their company aircraft at Brough, some sort of training group were looking to move in from Sherburn, a couple more firms were rumoured to be seeking the opportunity to base their company aircraft at Brough, POSSIBLY Humberside Police were thinking of moving there (and certainly Leconfield's Sea Kings used to come and train there quite regularly), several private owners wanted to move in ... there was a bit of a buzz developing.

Then the chimney was demolished and pretty much the day after, British Aerospace decided that engine (?) repairs to their Jetstream were uneconomic, staff would in future have to travel between their various company sites around the UK by surface transport, the company therefore no longer needed the airfield and ... that was that :'(

Brilliantly situated: rail connections around the UK a short distance away from Air Traffic Control and the buildings that used to be used by Customs and Excise and as arrivals / departures when Autair used the airfield for commercial passenger operations around the UK and to Amsterdam for long-range connections, and a dual-carriageway leading to Motorway links a short distance away. Excellent radar coverage from ATC via a link to the Claxby radar on top of the Lincolnshire Wolds, great fire cover, great technical know-how in the immediate area, the opportunity to undertake aircraft servicing ... even a chance to have extended the runway eastwards using stabilised colliery waste brought in by rail from the South /North Yorkshire coalfields not far away if the need had arisen. But then, suddenly, British Aerospace no longer needed it for regular daily flights and ... all gone :-/

I could go on, but won't. It's too depressing.

pug

Post by pug » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:30 pm

I often heard rumours of a runway extension, but it never materialised. Any idea whether it was ever seriously considered?

I can help with the flying club, they did want to move in and saw it as a perfect opportunity to get into an airfield that was underused. Dont forget that at the time Humbersides' runway was under extension with a view of more large movements. Im told that BAe were not keen on the risk of a Cessna landing on the roof of the factory..

Humberside Police Flying Club had a single Cessna 150/52 stationed at Brough for some time, but I believe that has since moved to Mount Airey near South Cave? The Blackburn B.2 was based at the airfield for years, and I believed made use of the airfield on the rare occasion that it actually flew. The odd rare visitor such as a Harrier I think, but then did the fire cover not have to be transported in from Warton for such movements?

I take it the old terminal building for Autair is now the Brough Business Centre? The one with the now removed ATC tower on top? I believe radar cover was transferred to Humberside sometime in 1994, not sure why they waited so long after they stopped the Jetstream flights in 1992?

I am aware that in the 60's there was serious consideration at extending both Brough and Yeadons' runways to a length of 7000ft to accomodate 737 size aircraft coming on line. Yeadon got its extension, but Brough got Cappa Pass (and hence a cessation of civil aviation on the site), which is such a shame. Surely when the tower came down then BAe would have made some revenue from allowing private firms operate from the runway instead of leaving it largely underused? Then they could have used it more often at cheaper cost. Then again I suppose BAe have been averse to letting private operators use their sites over the years.

Will be such a shame if Brough meets the same fate as HoSM..

Phantom II

Post by Phantom II » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:28 pm

pug wrote:I often heard rumours of a runway extension, but it never materialised. Any idea whether it was ever seriously considered?

I can help with the flying club, they did want to move in and saw it as a perfect opportunity to get into an airfield that was underused. Dont forget that at the time Humbersides' runway was under extension with a view of more large movements. Im told that BAe were not keen on the risk of a Cessna landing on the roof of the factory..

Humberside Police Flying Club had a single Cessna 150/52 stationed at Brough for some time, but I believe that has since moved to Mount Airey near South Cave? The Blackburn B.2 was based at the airfield for years, and I believed made use of the airfield on the rare occasion that it actually flew. The odd rare visitor such as a Harrier I think, but then did the fire cover not have to be transported in from Warton for such movements?

I take it the old terminal building for Autair is now the Brough Business Centre? The one with the now removed ATC tower on top? I believe radar cover was transferred to Humberside sometime in 1994, not sure why they waited so long after they stopped the Jetstream flights in 1992?

I am aware that in the 60's there was serious consideration at extending both Brough and Yeadons' runways to a length of 7000ft to accomodate 737 size aircraft coming on line. Yeadon got its extension, but Brough got Cappa Pass (and hence a cessation of civil aviation on the site), which is such a shame. Surely when the tower came down then BAe would have made some revenue from allowing private firms operate from the runway instead of leaving it largely underused? Then they could have used it more often at cheaper cost. Then again I suppose BAe have been averse to letting private operators use their sites over the years.

Will be such a shame if Brough meets the same fate as HoSM..
We did have a fire crew & tenders,inc a RIV Range Rover at Brough. Ex. HOSM crew. Used to dealing with a/c from the B2 to Belfast,& everything between at HOSM! One afternoon my team "turned round" a Chipmunk & a Britannia!! BAe did allow civil a/c to be based at Brough (Hull Flying Club & Cessna421 of ????? ) & HOSM C421 & a Citation of Hygena Kitchens.

pug

Post by pug » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:52 pm

Phantom II, thanks for the info. Certainly interesting re. HoSM, somewhere I never saw active and where it is difficult to imagine anything ever operating from there seeing it now. Sounds like it was a busier place than I had imagined it to have been!

With regards fire cover, I was under the impression that left Brough after the shuttle flights stopped in the early 90's? Also private operators having been detered after then too, with the airfield finally decomissioned in 1996? Not sure when the PC-9 aircraft left either, and when did the ACMI range close as that may have had a part to play in Brough's fate as far as the airfield was concerned?

Phantom II

Post by Phantom II » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:28 pm

pug wrote:Phantom II, thanks for the info. Certainly interesting re. HoSM, somewhere I never saw active and where it is difficult to imagine anything ever operating from there seeing it now. Sounds like it was a busier place than I had imagined it to have been!

With regards fire cover, I was under the impression that left Brough after the shuttle flights stopped in the early 90's? Also private operators having been detered after then too, with the airfield finally decomissioned in 1996? Not sure when the PC-9 aircraft left either, and when did the ACMI range close as that may have had a part to play in Brough's fate as far as the airfield was concerned?
I retired in May 1992,so cannot help re. XG969 tx to Warton. Still see it on PP over West coast.Re HOSM,often we had two Vulcans bashing the circuit together.One rolling & other downwind.They usually did three rollers & then did full power 60 deg. climb outs! F111s & A10s also did circuit work at HOSM. F111 blue A/B flame was very impressive late on a winters afternoon! The RAF based approx. 8/10 Jet Provosts on a daily basis, they flew back to Fenton each evening. The JPs flight-line was on Rwy 26, 500yds east of the hangars. So yes we were very busy at times,such as two F4s on take off in stream at 08.30am during radar update trials,on their way to intercept a Canberra T17 over the North Sea. At the end of the sortie all 3 a/c landed back at HOSM. This went on for weeks. Hope this helps, pug.

pug

Post by pug » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:56 pm

Sounds impressive thanks for the info once again Phantom. Its a shame as I am too young to have known the place when operational, and there is a lack of photographs of HoSM when active with the exception of a few taken near the hangars... Runways, tower and taxiways seem to have been rapidly ripped up as soon as the place closed so there is little to see now. I bet it was great for viewing at the Land of Nod end of the main runway with the threshold right next to the public road?

I know that photography was forbidden, and I cant imagine you would have got many 'spotters' there due to its relatively isolated location That said, and photos of the airfield in general would be very much appreciated!

redfoxy

Post by redfoxy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:31 am

I heard on the radio yesterday that the plans for the 800 houses on the airfield development had been turned down, because the Brough area did not need any more new houses.Regards Paul.

pug

Post by pug » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:23 pm

Thanks for the update redfoxy. I take it the rest of the development is still a goer however?

redfoxy

Post by redfoxy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:18 pm

The report actually said that the Brough development had been thrown into doubt after the refusal of building permission for 800+ houses for I think it said Redrow Homes. Regards Paul.

pug

Post by pug » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:25 pm

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.u ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems the days of Brough Airfield are numbered.

Return to “BAE Brough”