Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Building over the airfield

Please post movements and activities to do with BAE Brough here
pug

Re: Building over the airfield

Post by pug » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:59 am

The aerial pic in the below link suggests preperation work is well under way..

http://www.airliners.net/photo//2081634/L/2081634.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Depressing really, the place should be offered up for aviation uses first. There simply is not the need for large scale developments in the area.

zacklaws

Post by zacklaws » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:28 pm

What are we looking at? I do not see anything unusual, the pictures almost a year old.

pug

Post by pug » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:51 pm

It would appear that they have built a mound around the current 'wildlife protection' area in the top right of that picture. Work will be underway very soon which will wipe out the runway completely.

teeonefixer

Post by teeonefixer » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:49 pm

The new flood defence was completed last year and is, I think, independant of the airfield.

There are lots of moves underway on site before any of the proposed airfield development happens.

pug

Post by pug » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:15 pm

Fair point, not been down there for a while. However, it is going ahead and the airfield will be underneath a retail park in a couple of years.

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.u ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interestingly, despite an overwhelming number of objections, the council still see fit to approve the development.

pug

Post by pug » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:48 pm

More potentially bad news :unsure:

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.u ... z2NQqOuLVH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tm74sqn

Post by tm74sqn » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:48 pm

An unbiased reading of that web news would suggest potentially good news, but that's just my opinion.
TM74

pug

Post by pug » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:50 pm

Its good that they intend to keep some jobs on site, absolutely. However, I dont see how they could possibly keep these skills on site if there is no organisation to put them to use. They are due to build on the airfield soon, so any hope of a second aviation partner moving into the redundant facilities is surely slim. The renewables sector (wind turbines) requires access to dock facilities which Brough cannot really provide.

I can see a much reduced BAe Systems facility, and the rest being used for housing and retail developments unfortunately.

pug

Post by pug » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:46 am

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.u ... z2Rh111xFt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

teeonefixer

Post by teeonefixer » Sat May 18, 2013 8:27 pm

Update on the decommisioning - the High Speed Wind Tunnel and "Bird Gun" at the Western end are now, sadly, gone.

johnarro

Post by johnarro » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:40 am

teeonefixer wrote:Update on the decommisioning - the High Speed Wind Tunnel and "Bird Gun" at the Western end are now, sadly, gone.
Well. Gosh. There was lunchtime activity at Brough yesterday. Earlier, there had been the sound of an aircraft landing, and then some time later came the sound of the B2 biplane (very distinctive :) flying by. The previous aircraft (a high-tailed twin-engined thing I honestly can't identify) took off, they joined up and made several passes East to West. After that, the B2 indulged in some very nice, tight, loops. Maybe 20 to 30 minutes of activity altogether, after which life returned to dull and boring once more.

A last and very final fling ? To what purpose, I know not.

OAP John :)

Return to “BAE Brough”