Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

50th RAF Anniversary at Leconfield

Please post movements and activities to do with Leconfield here
zacklaws

50th RAF Anniversary at Leconfield

Post by zacklaws » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:55 am

I came across this document this morning whilst searching for something totally different and out of curiosity I opened it up and was quite amazed to see the listing of exhibits for the open day at RAF Leconfield in 1968. It would be brilliant to turn the clocks back and see all those Lightning etc again. As I only live down the road, and I was at school then, we used to go most years, so I wonder if I was there that year. It must have been an omen this find, as when I got home from work this morning, I saw something in my computer room hanging off a shelf and it turned out to be a picture of the flightline at RAF Leconfield circa 1960 and I'm there, I look about 5 being held by my Father, along with my Mother and brother along with a lot of friends I grow up with.

http://www.yorkshireairnews.co.uk/images/1968%2008.PDF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There seems to be plenty of good vintage reading on the website from this period:-

http://www.yorkshireairnews.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

60mu

Re: 50th RAF Anniversary at Leconfield

Post by 60mu » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:03 pm

hi
nice link to the yorkshire air news
i went to the shows at leconfield in 66 and 68,
not sure about the one in 70
also went to the last show in 74
good shows ,i also live down the road
we had Lightnings flying over our house

60mu

reheat

Post by reheat » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:36 pm

I used to cycle there from Hull. Fantastic days.Remember the Binbrook Lightnings being based there for 6 months whilst the runway was resurfaced at Binbrook.Loads of night flying.You could see the planes in the distance at Raf Cowden too.
Regards,

Steve.

60mu

Post by 60mu » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:44 pm

hi reheat
Did you watch from the crash gate down the lane which went past the main gate?
i went up most nights and as you say fantastic days

60mu

zacklaws

Post by zacklaws » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:51 pm

We used to sit in the bushes at the South end of the runway with everything landing skimming over our heads. We also used to have a small radio tuned to 108mhz and listen to the tower. I rarely went down to the crashgate, but my fondest memory when we did was always when the lightnings took a short take off run and then went verticle right in front of us. I tried it on the runway in a car one day at work and in the same distance from end of runway to about opposite the crashgate, I could only manage about 60mph, not even fast enough for a cessna to take off, it was a diesel though.

The lightnings would always turn over our house at Molescroft when they where landing on the runway heading North, can not recall what it would have been in them days. I think the last markings that I saw was "10" in 1986. You always knew when they was coming as the old telly would start flickering like a good un.

Then I will always remember in 1966 when the Hunter came down in the village next to the church, we could not get up there fast enough on our bikes for a look, and I can still see in my mind the house with its roof off and a chute draped in a tree and the tail of the Hunter stuck upright in the ground, I presume it may have been the brake chute as the pilot ejected succesfully. We had a good long look at it, and thought, give it a few weeks and it will be on the dump, just South of Arram. Sure enough, one foggy day we went up and got a lot of bits of it. Somewhere in my house still, I have the last remaining inert Aden round that they used to carry for ballast, sort of a grey alloy metal moulded like a cannon shell with a removable plate at the end that I recovered. I had a few on links, but I must have gave them all away a long time ago.

Happy days.

pug

Post by pug » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:23 am

Zacklaws, very interesting stories there for me, as I was born in the early 80's Ive only ever known the Seaking operations.

Do you happen to know if there have ever been fixed wing flights since the base was turned over to the army? I've always wondered why the place was never looked at by the AAC due to its facilities.

MCB

Post by MCB » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:07 pm

Legend had it that the vicar's daughter was in the bath when the Hunter took the roof off:-

XE646 Hunter FGA.9, f/f 21.6.56 by David Lockspeiser, d/d 33 MU Lyneham 20.7.56, to 263 Sqn 9.8.56 as 'V', to FWS 16.7.57, returned to 'V' 263 Sqn 14.4.58, to 'V' 1 Sqn 1.7.58 (on renumbering), returned to HSA '60 and converted to FGA.9, to 'V' 1 Sqn. Crashed into the vicarage 30.12.66 following an engine fire whilst on approach. Flt Lt P Curtin ejected.

Cheers,

MCB

zacklaws

Post by zacklaws » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:34 pm

There has been no fixed wing flights since the Army took over (apart for one instance), the runway and taxiways were all converted into a nursery circuit for driver training with roundabouts and road signs built on the main runways, but they were all temporary and could have been cleared off at any time if need be, now these features have been built into the surface. But as it has been standing that long and retarmaced etc, it probably would not withstand jetwash or be tough enough to land on. There has actually been at least one incident when an RAF jet has tried to land, so I have been told, but there again it could have been a practise "Pan" etc. Tornado's used to do simulated strikes on the place, screaming low over the vehicle parks and runways, but I have not seen that for a long time now. About 3 years ago, whilst fishing at Brough (also a low flying corridor) whilst listening to my scanner, 4 F15's screamed over my head just after dark heading North, so I switched to the Lakenheath frequencies and heard, orders being given out to individual aircraft as to which hangar at Leconfield each aircraft was to bomb, I watched them skim over the Wolds and out of sight and wished it was for real, I would'nt have had to go to work there anymore as it would just have been a smoking hole.

The instance with a fixed wing aircraft was when they held a car show there and they had a civilian cessna takeing off and landing for pleasure flights, plus also a member of staff had some form of fixed wing aircraft which he could take off with from a short section of clear existing runway.

I can still recall back to when they had Whirlwinds, then Wessex's and can just vaguely remember Javelins but not Meteors oddly enough, it was probably the distinctive shape and all that smoke Javelins made that makes it stand out more in my mind .

There might be a lot of facilities etc, but with the amount of vehicles parked there, there would simply be not enough room for the AAC as well along with a conflict of different purposes and FOD etc, try Google Earthing it and you will see what I mean. Perhaps the AAC was not such a big thing back in the early to mid 70's when the army took Leconfield over as a driver training school, if I recall it must have been sometime then when Gazzelles, Lynx's etc started to come into service, so maybe the AAC expanded eventually and ended up at the likes of Dishforth, Wattisham etc which became available from the RAF in the early 1990's, which would have been more preferable than Leconfield and having to relocate the driving school.

I also heard about the vicars daughter being in the bath when the Hunter removed the roof off the vicarage. The only recorded casualty though was the vicar himself, who did survive it thankfully. As the vicarage is not on the flight path of any of the runways, it may have happened whilst on "Downwind" leg (which may also be classed as part of the approach) etc and being a very catastrophic fire to make it plummet suddenly, as if it had been on approach there is lots of farmland to have crashed it into instead of turning into the village, but there again, unless you know the full details, its wrong to speculate.

raflec

Post by raflec » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:24 am

I was still at school when the lightnings were there from Binbrook. I lived in Driffield and most nights the lightnings flew over our house to land at leconfield, so we must have been on the flight path. Occasionally my dad would take me to the end of the runway to watch them land. We went down Arram Road and watched from the traffic lights at Arram road. If you only knew then what I know now. I wish I had gone more often.
As for fixed wing aircraft landing there was a memorial erected at Leconfield a year or two ago and they had a little private event and I was fortunate enough to be invited in. There was I believe a Tiger moth that Landed for that occasion and took off again later in the day.

pug

Post by pug » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:12 pm

Zacklaws, thanks again for the info. Where was/is the former crash gate you mention? Also, was the best spotting location on the Arram road? Having been down there a few times the run off pretty much reaches the road!

Always thought it a shame that the place didn't develop to become Hulls airport. I dont suppose the residents of Beverley would have been too keen however.

60mu

Post by 60mu » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:30 pm

Hi Pug
The best place to go at Leconfield, was the crash gate at the end of the road to the main gate .
if you go into the village of leconfield, turn right into Grange road and keep going.
You would pass the main gate to the base on your right.
the road then became a lane and then you would come to the crash gate.
At the Beverley end of the runway , you would turn of woodhall way, cross the old railway line and
pass the old sewage works, after 400 yards you would stop at the gate to the farmers field .
These days, if you go west to east on Beverley,s northern bypass and turn left into the lane,you would come to the gate

60mu

mrmagoo_uk

Post by mrmagoo_uk » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:30 pm

I have lived in Beverley all my life and am a littel to young to remember the lightnings but seem to recall them flying late at night.
One thing I do remember are the A10's circuling over leconfield queing up to use Cowden bombing range.

I have often wondered where is the best place to catch the Seaking SAR Helicopter take off and land??

Andy
Canon 500D
Canon 350D
Sigma 170-500
Canon 17-55
Sigma 28-200
UBC3500 XLT scanner complete with W-881
Home made annetna from with FC Forum which works a treat

pug

Post by pug » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:59 pm

I have been on base a few years ago working, but had never been down the full length of Grange Lane (I always thought there would be another guard box down there).. Such a shame I'm too you to have seen the place active, certainly looks like one of the better bases for viewing when it was operational. It seems to have been a phenomina of the lightning, having heard Binbrook was also viewing friendly.

60mu

Post by 60mu » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:12 pm

Hi mrmagoo-uk
If you drive up the hill from molescroft , pass the vets on your left , go over the old railway bridge and on your right is a gate way to a public path
you can park here . i sometimes stop here to have my lunch.
Pug it certainly was a great base for viewing .

60mu

mrmagoo_uk

Post by mrmagoo_uk » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:48 pm

60mu

I know where you mean. Next time I hear it on the scanner I might have to go dog walking ;-)

Thanks for the info

Andy
Canon 500D
Canon 350D
Sigma 170-500
Canon 17-55
Sigma 28-200
UBC3500 XLT scanner complete with W-881
Home made annetna from with FC Forum which works a treat

reheat

Post by reheat » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:47 am

60mu wrote:hi reheat
Did you watch from the crash gate down the lane which went past the main gate?
i went up most nights and as you say fantastic days

60mu
Yep, I certainly did.Great days.
Regards,

Steve.

zacklaws

Post by zacklaws » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:10 pm

60mu wrote:Hi mrmagoo-uk
If you drive up the hill from molescroft , pass the vets on your left , go over the old railway bridge and on your right is a gate way to a public path
you can park here . i sometimes stop here to have my lunch.
Pug it certainly was a great base for viewing .

60mu
Coming from Molescroft, the railway bridge is immediatley before the vets, and the parking area which was opposite the gateway has all been dug up just recently when they replaced the gas mains, it was then covered over with fresh soil and it appears to have stopped anyone parking there as it is very muddy and boggy. I have noticed the odd dog walker parking in the field but I do not know if the farmer approves of it.

60mu

Post by 60mu » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:58 pm

hi zacklaws
yes bridge then vets , no points for me.
you can still park on the right in the gate way, well i do just for my lunch.
never had any dealings with the farmer

60mu.

damian smyth

Post by damian smyth » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:03 pm

Just a quick one, anyone know the story of how Cessna 185a Skywagon (HB-CRX) later G-BXRH ended up at Leconfield In the early 1970s, I think it was in crash and was at 60MU for some time? I found one of its wings on the airfield ner the railway line on the east side of the Leconfield late 1974. It was moved from Leconfield to Cranfield about 74/75 to be reborn.

Return to “Leconfield”