Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Formula 1 2021

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
seven

Re: Formula 1 2021

Post by seven » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:44 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:07 pm
seven wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:01 pm
Not sure quite what your referring to with your opening statement,
I was referring to the people who didn't like Verstappen using the rules to take a new engine and effectively avoid the 3 place grid penalty last time out

Got ya, and also by not qualifying, not actually taking any penalty at all ;)
seven wrote:
but if you have a 10 place penalty, then the best option is to go for pole/P11. Why on earth would you give yourself even more cars to pass...
Because taking pole on a dry track is going to mean running the highest power modes. There are 7 races till the end of the season. Hamilton already has one dead engine, and 2 that are presumably life limited such that they won't reach the end of the season on their own. Bottas has already taken 2 new engines this season. How confident are Mercedes that they can get Hamilton to the end of the season on the one new engine and 2 life limited ones? Do they need to take another new engine to do the remaining 7 races (one of which will also have a sprint race). Or will reducing the strain on this new engine be enough if they don't go for pole?

And running at a lower power mode could end up out in Q1, and starting at the back..
I'd be surprised if the new IC unit did all 7 races, especially without knowing the condition of the remaining used units./b]

seven wrote:
The general consensus is Qually is quite likely to be wet, with Sunday a smaller chance of rain(that says to me its going to be dry). Again, not sure why you think having 19 cars to try to pass instead of 10 is a good idea, especially with Hamiltons recent starts..

Starting 11th is fine if you come out of turn 1 still in or around 11th and with everything still intact (4 wheels on and a front wing). But IMV starting mid-field puts you in the lap of the gods for the first few turns on lap one and Hamilton can't really afford a DNF if he's caught up in a mid-field lap one racing incident.

Nor can he afford to end up stuck behind a toro rosso/Williams/Aston Martin outside of the points, and having to take an alternative strategy to try to claw back an odd point or two.

Passing cars in 19th-10th should be relatively easy - no need for a good start, or indeed risking anything at the start. The two Red Bulls, two Mclarans, Bottas and Alonso are the ones that would worry me.

Should be being the operative words. In a time when its shockingly difficult to overtake, why give yourself more work to do?
I agree with you regarding the riskier start mid field(assuming he even gets a front rows time in), but the risk is far outweighed by the higher end result. If starting at the back, he may as well have taken a full new PU. And while he's at it, why not add another one? Or two!?

Sorry the bold quotes came out as a bit of a disaster, I cannae be rectumed to go and type all that again :lol:
#KeepFightingMichael #banthebulls

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:00 pm

A difficult race for most drivers. I can understand both Mercedes strategy in wanting Lewis to come for tyres, and also have sympathy with him wanting to stay out. Trouble is that no-one will know which was the correct decision. Lewis might well have ruined his tyres in the closing stages, as did Leclerc, and if he had come in earlier, might well have eventually got the new tyres to work. Points for and against both viewpoints. Still, a bit of damage limitation, but it could have worked out better. Let's hope for a dry race in Austin!.

jackreacher

Post by jackreacher » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:14 pm

It was interesting to see the different approach Perez took to Hamilton’s attempted pass vs Bottas’s defending against Verstappen last time.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:12 pm

20-20 hindsight, but I did say it during the race highlights.

Mercedes should have been stronger, and ordered Hamilton to stop either on the same lap that Verstappen did, or the one immediately after Perez. Verstappen stopped on L36, Bottas and Perez on L37. Once Verstappen had come out of the pits in front of both Perez and Hamilton there was no chance Hamilton was going to catch Verstappen, so the focus should have switched to beating Perez.

There was no significant under or overcut today, so pitting Hamilton on L36-38 would have given him the same tyres as Perez, and 20 laps to work out how to pass him to P3. I personally think Hamilton would have been able to pass Perez for P3, but even if he couldn't P4 was a racing cert.

If the past 2 races have shown us anything, it's that you must be on the correct tyres for the current track conditions. Gambling on what the track might be like in 5 laps time can make you a hero, but more often than not it makes you a zero. Just ask Vettel.

seven

Post by seven » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:59 pm

The only things I remember at the moment would be, how on earth did that race end up being so boring, and why on earth to the directors insist on playing start highlights over and over after the second lap. For the second race in a row, major on track action is being ignored so a dull uneventful start can be shown over multiple angles. As it turned out this time around, I don't think anything was missed, but what if Hamilton and Tsnoda had collided? Or Bottas decided to continue recording the Kylie Minogue song memes again...

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:47 am

I also hate these totally unnecessary garage shots of the team looking at screens whilst racing is in progress. Shots of pointless 'celebs' who don't even see the racing. because they are inside. I agree about the start replays. Once is enough unless something significant happens.

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:01 am

Turn 1 should be interesting this evening!!!.

C24

Post by C24 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:17 am

raptor9 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:01 am
Turn 1 should be interesting this evening!!!.
😷
Everything is both relative and comparative, to quote that little known philosopher, Bassam Sarass.

Stay safe 😉
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

seven

Post by seven » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:06 am

Maybe, either way I bet we'll see it replayed 5-10 times over laps 2-4.

Interesting how we've spent the last 2 weeks crying that Mercedes have introduced one or two possibly illegal 'devices' to their cars and have are now 'way ahead, yet red bull take pole, and if it wasn't for Hamilton, would have taken the front row. This championship would have been way more exciting if it was McLaren or Aston Martin versus Mercedes. red bull may have done the better job on the car (helped by the new regulations they pushed for of course), but their off track attitude stinks.

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:54 am

Excellent drive by both Max and Lewis. Hamilton always loves playing catch up, and there you see him at his best. Unfortunately, as has been the case all season, the car is excellent but cannot cope well with 'dirty air' when following closely, and this cannot be negated by Lewis's skill. Catching is one thing, passing is another, as Murray Walker said. I hope this Mercedes Achilles Heel can be overcome for the remaining races, otherwise their Championship will be lost.

seven

Post by seven » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:21 am

He ran out of laps as far as I could see. The speed deficit he had at the time was never really big enough to make it, short of back markers getting in the way. And as I understand it, Mercedes had to raise the rear of the car and stiffen the suspension set up in order to cope with the bumpy track surface, whereas red bull got by with just reinforcing the rear wing, and that ruined the advantage the Mercedes had in P1. Good drive by Leclerc also. And I hope Alpine are fined for badgering Michael Masi as red bull seem to love doing.

Bilvo

Post by Bilvo » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:36 am

Isn't it about time that did something to actually make it interesting again?? And this has to be the DULLEST season for years....

But the one thing that is really getting to me with F1 are the commentators on Sky... they are like a bunch of over-excited teenagers at their first ever gig without parents - constantly getting over-excited about absolutely nothing, they are often talking such waffle that they miss over-takes and take several laps before they catch up. Karun was blithering on about the fact that Max had to break the tow of Lewis by turn 11 on the first lap... what and that's it Karun, job done and the race is over JUST by breaking the tow of Hamilton by turn 11 on lap one??? Or is it that they have to try and make what is now a really boring sport, interesting? I don't see how watching cars follow each other round a track for 50+ laps can in anyway be interesting anymore, nothing happens for two hours.... It has become really, really dull and boring.
Survival of the Fittest.

2e1var

Post by 2e1var » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:10 am

Once again Merc show they can't follow within 2 seconds of other cars, was a tough opening stint for Lewis not being able to get a second clear but I felt once he dropped behind he would never get with a second of Max to make the pass. Should have pitted straight after and hoped he could make a slightly faster stop while max was in a bit of traffic.
Bilvo - I think it's been a great season and you must be aware that they are changing the cars for next year to help spice things up aren't you ?
UBC-15X, 800XLT, 3500XLT, VT-225, Airspy R2/Mini/SDR#, RSP1A/SDR Uno

UK Radio Scanners Facebook Group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1451306941772699

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:16 am

Bilvo wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:36 am
Isn't it about time that did something to actually make it interesting again?? And this has to be the DULLEST season for years....

But the one thing that is really getting to me with F1 are the commentators on Sky... they are like a bunch of over-excited teenagers at their first ever gig without parents - constantly getting over-excited about absolutely nothing, they are often talking such waffle that they miss over-takes and take several laps before they catch up. Karun was blithering on about the fact that Max had to break the tow of Lewis by turn 11 on the first lap... what and that's it Karun, job done and the race is over JUST by breaking the tow of Hamilton by turn 11 on lap one??? Or is it that they have to try and make what is now a really boring sport, interesting? I don't see how watching cars follow each other round a track for 50+ laps can in anyway be interesting anymore, nothing happens for two hours.... It has become really, really dull and boring.
We've not had a title fight this close for years. We've had some absolutely brilliant races along the way as well (Silverstone, Monza, Imola...etc etc) no way is this dull. Sky don't miss the overtakes and actions that happen - that's the TV Director's fault (not Sky's)

You know you could change the channel, right? :lol:
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:01 am

Bilvo. F.1, like Cruising isn't for everybody. With respect, I would say that in order to get more out of watching, then perhaps you need to realise that it is not just about driving. There is MUCH more to it than that. Many of us, especially regulars on this thread, have been watching for years, and, therefore, could be called so called 'experts' in this spectating lark. Stick with it if you wish, but I can understand that the casual spectator would not get much out of it. ALWAYS been motorsport for me, since I saw my very first car race. First car I ever saw come round a corner in a race was a 'D'type Jaguar in a full lock slide at Woodcote, Silverstone many years ago. I was instantly sold on it. :) Very little compares with it from my point of view, and I'm afraid I cannot get on with the total mass hysteria of 22 men kicking a bag of wind about, which seems to appeal to lots of people.. Each to his own. Regards.

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:54 am

Another here for most exciting season for years. I can't quite decide if Bilvo is an old head that used to watch F1 years ago when it WAS genuinely far more exciting or if he is a young lad that's just discovered it off the back of Netflix 'Drive to Survive!?
Cameraless

2e1var

Post by 2e1var » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:19 am

Mark wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:54 am
Another here for most exciting season for years. I can't quite decide if Bilvo is an old head that used to watch F1 years ago when it WAS genuinely far more exciting or if he is a young lad that's just discovered it off the back of Netflix 'Drive to Survive!?
Out of interest when you say WAS genuinely far more exciting what period are you referring to ?

Rich

UK Radio Scanners Facebook Group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1451306941772699

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:24 am

Hi Rich, pretty much any before Schumacher and H&S involvement to be fair. I appreciate that its no longer acceptable to have drivers dying in races, but back in the day that was one of the risks taken and accepted as being part and parcel of being a Formula One driver.
Cameraless

2e1var

Post by 2e1var » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:47 am

I started watching in '92 for Mansell, to be honest it doesn't feel that different to me. Couldn't tell you a season when every race was a blinder, couldn't tell you which ones but I'm sure I remember some dire seasons even back then. To the Schuey point I hated 2000-2004 but I really didn't like the man and he ruined too many Sunday afternoons for me. I warmed to him a lot more when he came back with Merc., I wonder what might have been if he'd have stayed on another couple of years ? All that said I'm a Lewis fan and if you're not the last 7 years can't have been the best

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:03 am

I recall watching it with my Grandad in the 70's (i think..) with Hunt and Lauda etc. but i was only young at the time. I guess the glory years for me personally was the Benetton and Williams years..

I am actually a Hamilton fan, but i think his main competitors have been closer in skill and technology than Schumachers ever were which is why Hamiltons era has been the more entertaining of the two.

Not sure if i'm looking at it through rose tinted glasses or not, but being actually allowed to race seems to be becoming more and more frowned upon. I don't recall the penalty system being implemented half as often back in the good old days, lol!!
Cameraless

Return to “General Chat”