Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Penlee lifeboat memorial, 40 years on.

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
adderman

Penlee lifeboat memorial, 40 years on.

Post by adderman » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:04 am

Hi Folks

For once an interesting article in the Daily Mail.
Hard to believe it's forty years ago.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... avery.html

In the comments was a very moving tribute as well.

Let me tell you as a current RNLI volunteer crewman who has the luxury of going to sea in a Trent class ALB or Atlantic 75 ILB, to put to sea in one of those old Watson class boats doesn't bear thinking about. We will always remember with reverence those men of the Penlee lifeboat.
Unquote.

We should never forgot all those who head towards danger rather than run from it.

Mike

Condor68

Re: Penlee lifeboat memorial, 40 years on.

Post by Condor68 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:12 pm

I remember when I was in primary school that on 8/12/59 the Broughty Ferry lifeboat Mona foundered at the mouth of the River Tay.All the crew were lost .That was a Watson as well if I remember correctly .My father was one of those who discovered it on the beach and I still think about it every time I walk along that part .I was in the Coastguards for a while and well remember many filthy nights hoping not to have to call one of the local a lifeboats out .

Keep safe Mike

Keith

Condor68

Post by Condor68 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:19 am

Might be worth adding we stay midway between Arbroath and Broughty Ferry and both had disasters in the fifties BF already mentioned .ON 28/10/53 the Arbroath boat,a Liverpook class, launched along with a boat from Anstruther as flares were reported.Finding nothing they RTB .The Arbroath boat capsized in sight of people waiting for it and 6 men died the 7th caught a rope thrown out to them.Thats how close to safety they were.I dont know about Arbroath but the Mona was replaced within a fortnight with a relief boat and fully manned by more local volunteers.I was at both memorial services and had never seen so many people in my life as totrned up at Broughty Ferry.I couldnt see at Arbroath as I was only approaching 2.
They and others lost are not forgotten around here.

Keith

Pune

Post by Pune » Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:03 pm

I remember this so well, I was a fireman and we had a collection for the families straight away on the station, as did many stations around the country, such a sad loss.
My wife and I have visited the area several times, had many a meal in The Ship and visiting the Penlee lifeboat station is very moving, those 40 years have passed by so swiftly.
So much respect for lifeboat crews, a really special breed.
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

Condor68

Post by Condor68 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:16 pm

Programme about Pemlee disaster on tonight bbc4 23:00

Return to “General Chat”