Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Formula 1 2022

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
James Cutting

Re: Formula 1 2022

Post by James Cutting » Sun May 08, 2022 9:45 pm

slogen51 wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 9:33 pm
Well I just listened to the race on the radio and it sounded really exciting after the safety car went in. I wanted Mad Max to win so it was quite a tense session while Leclerc had DRS and was pressurising Max, which is exactly what I want from live sport.

Shame Bottas threw 5th place away , although that maybe harsh as I haven't watched it yet!
Commentary makes anything sound exciting by over exaggeration and loud shouting/noises.
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

d555

Post by d555 » Mon May 09, 2022 7:31 am

The whole point of commentry is to keep listener interested in what's happening, no matter how boring it may be, so that the people listening don't turn off or worse still change to a different channel. It's all about listening/viewing figures at the end of the day.
Have not seen the race yet but Well done! to Max, again. Looks like another two horse race for the Championship again this year. It looks like all the new regs have done is mixed up the midfield a bit.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Mon May 09, 2022 5:07 pm

It's all about entertainment at the end of the day. Which is why in some ways I prefer radio. Another good example is cricket in that good commentary can make a dull passage of play still appear interesting and important in the context of the match.

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Mon May 09, 2022 6:02 pm

SKY can have Danica Patrick on for every race if they like, she brightens up the waffle :thumbs:

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Mon May 09, 2022 7:40 pm

The regs have done a good job I feel with racing/a bit of shakeup and following. They now need better tracks and not whatever Miami was...
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Mon May 09, 2022 8:42 pm

I agree with PLMC re Danica. I think I watched her over here in Formula Ford some years ago?? Quite a lady!!.

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Sat May 21, 2022 6:31 am

What a feast this week-end!.F.1,2,3, W series, World Superbike, British Superbike!. Motorsport overload again. Love it!. :clap: :clap:Whoops, nearly forgot Indy qualifying as well tonight. Hope I don't have to choose between my sun deck or T.V. Recorders are good!!. Love Sky!!.

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Sat May 21, 2022 8:14 am

Shame it's at Catalunya :lol: lets hope its a better race this time
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Pune

Post by Pune » Sat May 21, 2022 1:57 pm

I see Red Bull are whinging again 🙄
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Sat May 21, 2022 2:01 pm

Well you would be if engineers go to a rival and suddenly come out with a carbon copy car...
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Pune

Post by Pune » Sat May 21, 2022 2:14 pm

I'm afraid that's what engineers do, get the best design..and run with it.
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Sat May 21, 2022 5:03 pm

Yes, but the crux of the matter is whether they were using what is in their head, or documents or IT from Red Bull, which would then make it totally illegal. Marko [remember him]! says he has evidence that this happened.

Pune

Post by Pune » Sat May 21, 2022 6:33 pm

raptor9 wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 5:03 pm
Yes, but the crux of the matter is whether they were using what is in their head, or documents or IT from Red Bull, which would then make it totally illegal. Marko [remember him]! says he has evidence that this happened.
Time will tell I guess, here's to a good race, Mercedes getting better..

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Sun May 22, 2022 5:28 pm

Well, that was entertaining!. Excellent drive by the Mercedes guys, particularly by Lewis, who obviously has lost none of his considerable skill and love of a fight, despite being very down after the first lap incident. Pity he had to concede fourth place. So, good result for Mercedes, but the fact remains that, on paper, they are still running at best in 5th and 6th when starting races Thinking that Ricciardo's seat may be in danger at the end of the season, and possibly Sainz's as well!.

Pune

Post by Pune » Sun May 22, 2022 7:15 pm

raptor9 wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 5:28 pm
Well, that was entertaining!. Excellent drive by the Mercedes guys, particularly by Lewis, who obviously has lost none of his considerable skill and love of a fight, despite being very down after the first lap incident. Pity he had to concede fourth place. So, good result for Mercedes, but the fact remains that, on paper, they are still running at best in 5th and 6th when starting races Thinking that Ricciardo's seat may be in danger at the end of the season, and possibly Sainz's as well!.
I think you're spot on raptor, I thought Hamilton had the drive of the day, Sainz must be in danger of losing his drive, Ricciardo is baffling. Hopefully Lando will get better as the season progresses, Russell is looking good.
Off to Monte Carlo we go 😀

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Sun May 22, 2022 9:42 pm

Yep. Monaco. Went there back in the day. Jackie Stewart won. Very nice day, ruined by the fact that in those days they didn't really know how to build grandstands!!. Saw 20 yards of track through Tabac. 2nd most expensive grandstand seats to see that!!. Better these days I guess. I expect it to be a follow the leader race I'm afraid. :(

Pune

Post by Pune » Mon May 23, 2022 3:41 pm

raptor9 wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 9:42 pm
Yep. Monaco. Went there back in the day. Jackie Stewart won. Very nice day, ruined by the fact that in those days they didn't really know how to build grandstands!!. Saw 20 yards of track through Tabac. 2nd most expensive grandstand seats to see that!!. Better these days I guess. I expect it to be a follow the leader race I'm afraid. :(
I too went there, many many moons ago, 1972, the noise was incredible, the views were, well, to be expected I suppose, but great atmosphere, JP Beltoise won the race, Jacky Ickx 2nd and Emmerson Fittipaldi 3rd, Jackie Stewart was 4th, and unbelievably 8th was none other than Helmut Marko in a BRM :Wow:

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Mon May 23, 2022 4:34 pm

Ah, nostalgia!!. The B.R.M.s were running Yardley colours for 'my' race. Back at the Nice airport,was a dummy Yardley B.R.M. Nobody was about, so we practised exiting this BRM against the stop watch. We then found that it moved!. So poor old Rob had to sit steering this thing whilst we pushed it up and down between the check-in desks. [late at night, hardly anyone but us there] At full running speed, Rob arrives at a 90 degree corner, with no brakes, and we had a full locked slide with me at full length holding onto the rear wing, he held the slide beautifully, and we came to a stop at the feet of a very large Gendarme!!! who had a sense of humour surprsingly!!. My wife [a French speaker] told him she would give us all a good slapping, which amused him even more!!. Had it been daylight, we MIGHT have made it onto the street. He told us to behave, and we all trooped off to board our Monarch Britannia [the Duxford one] AAh the irresponsibility of being young!!!. Good old days. For those that don't know. Marko had a stone penetrate his visor later on, and he has a glass eye as a result. He stopped racing at that point. Pune. JP Beltoise married Francois Cevert's sister. What a looker she was!!!!!.[and still is]

Pune

Post by Pune » Mon May 23, 2022 6:52 pm

raptor9 wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 4:34 pm
Ah, nostalgia!!. The B.R.M.s were running Yardley colours for 'my' race. Back at the Nice airport,was a dummy Yardley B.R.M. Nobody was about, so we practised exiting this BRM against the stop watch. We then found that it moved!. So poor old Rob had to sit steering this thing whilst we pushed it up and down between the check-in desks. [late at night, hardly anyone but us there] At full running speed, Rob arrives at a 90 degree corner, with no brakes, and we had a full locked slide with me at full length holding onto the rear wing, he held the slide beautifully, and we came to a stop at the feet of a very large Gendarme!!! who had a sense of humour surprsingly!!. My wife [a French speaker] told him she would give us all a good slapping, which amused him even more!!. Had it been daylight, we MIGHT have made it onto the street. He told us to behave, and we all trooped off to board our Monarch Britannia [the Duxford one] AAh the irresponsibility of being young!!!. Good old days. For those that don't know. Marko had a stone penetrate his visor later on, and he has a glass eye as a result. He stopped racing at that point. Pune. JP Beltoise married Francois Cevert's sister. What a looker she was!!!!!.[and still is]
What a fab' story, love it, Francois, what a loss, one of many that would have acheived greatness but it was taken away, very sad, he was a good looking fella so not surprised about his sister.
Happy days indeed, I seem to remember The Cannes Film festival was on at the time too...ah well..

C24

Post by C24 » Tue May 24, 2022 6:22 am

🇺🇦🌻

B.R.M., at Bourne, Lincs. As an apprentice, in the early 60s, I spent two days in the factory. Parts of the original building are still used.

http://www.brmassociation.org/

Brim, brum
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

Return to “General Chat”