Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Diesel prices

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
plmc135

Re: Diesel prices

Post by plmc135 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:16 pm

James Cutting wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:56 am
It doesn't help us that the value of the pound against the Dollar is quite weak as I understand that buying the oil is done in US Dollar. Thanks Brexit (Ukraine situation doesn't help but was well on the rise, as with everything else, well before Ukraine).

It jumped up 6p a litre in less than 24 hours here just outside Cambridge
What has Brexit got to do with the cost of fuel? Trading in oil has always been done in US Dollars so there is no change there. This is not a UK situation it is a global one and I am afraid that until governments start doing more than imposing sanctions on Russian oligarchs the price will simply carry on rising. Saudi Arabia has already said that it is intending to increase their price in July.

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:07 pm

Well, not like the pounds value has been strong since Brexit, has it? Brexit's got a lot to blame for in the cost of living going sky high - been spoken about a lot.

Oh yeah, there is a definite blame on the Govt. too.
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

Philly1971

Post by Philly1971 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:49 pm

Oil price, along with other major commodities, are all priced and traded in US dollars. We are part of a global market, and brexit has virtually nothing to do with the current rise in the cost of living. Inflation is similar around the globe, but perhaps higher for the countries that decided to print massive amounts of money to pay people to stay at home and do nothing during COVID. This was always going to hit, and alongside Russias invasion of Ukraine, it’s become a double whammy. We don’t import gas from Russia, but those countries that do, will now be approaching our sources instead, hence the rising prices. Economics shows the only way prices will drop is if demand drops. So maybe people need to remember walking a bit more instead of using their cars, you know, just like virtually every other generation of humans who have been on this earth until about this generation.

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:25 pm

"...walking a bit more..." instead of driving hundreds of miles to see a few aircraft? :lol: That would make a few places a lot quieter, and more accessible to locals (very local if walking or cycling)

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:58 pm

Philly1971 wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:49 pm
Oil price, along with other major commodities, are all priced and traded in US dollars. We are part of a global market, and brexit has virtually nothing to do with the current rise in the cost of living. Inflation is similar around the globe, but perhaps higher for the countries that decided to print massive amounts of money to pay people to stay at home and do nothing during COVID. This was always going to hit, and alongside Russias invasion of Ukraine, it’s become a double whammy. We don’t import gas from Russia, but those countries that do, will now be approaching our sources instead, hence the rising prices. Economics shows the only way prices will drop is if demand drops. So maybe people need to remember walking a bit more instead of using their cars, you know, just like virtually every other generation of humans who have been on this earth until about this generation.
Ah yes because people can walk several hours to their jobs that they need to pay their extortionate bills, can't they? Of course - Blame the "current generation" love that excuse :lol:

Nobody else in Europe has had inflation as high as the UK - But no, Brexit isn't to blame :lol:
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:58 pm

Nighthawke wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:25 pm
"...walking a bit more..." instead of driving hundreds of miles to see a few aircraft? :lol: That would make a few places a lot quieter, and more accessible to locals (very local if walking or cycling)
And brings a lot less money in to the local chippies and campsites ;)
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:25 pm

Sainsbury in Bury Srt. Edmunds was out of diesel this evening. I filled my petrol car at 174.9 per litre. Good price these days. I thought that the price of heating oil would drop in the summer, so decided to hang on until July to fill my oil tank for the winter. Not a good move!!!. It has been steadily rising, so I bit the bullet today and paid 94 p per litre for 800 litres. I think I may have a bargain??? :S :S :S :S

Philly1971

Post by Philly1971 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:38 pm

James Cutting wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:58 pm
Philly1971 wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:49 pm
Ah yes because people can walk several hours to their jobs that they need to pay their extortionate bills, can't they? Of course - Blame the "current generation" love that excuse :lol:

Nobody else in Europe has had inflation as high as the UK - But no, Brexit isn't to blame :lol:
Where in my post did I blame the current generation, of which I am very much part? The current generation have seen their future blighted, but not by brexit. Any effects from that, either positive or negative, are a long way off. More pressing is a government who printed loads of extra cash to keep people, including those at no risk to COVID, such as university students, locked up in a room rather than being able to go out, have a life, and contribute to the economy. And as for European inflation, read the news, the EU are about to raise interest rates for the first time to try and stop rising inflation. They are facing an extremely difficult situation, with some members under pressure to stop using Russian gas, despite the fact they are reliant with no other options, and who are seeing pressure from other EU members who don’t rely on that same supply. Ultimately these users will have to be supported financially by the other EU members which will almost certainly lead to more inflationary pressure in the EU. Anyway, we are diverting from the thread, which is diesel prices. I partially jest on the walking more jibe, but ultimately, oil is a single commodity, we just happen to use the petrol or diesel part, which is the same stuff as needed by the hauliers, train, energy generators etc. So yes, filling up the car to take the kids to school is competing for the same resource as the foods being delivered to the supermarket, and so I suspect if any tax breaks are going to be given, it will be to help those businesses that need it and not to those who don’t.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:06 pm

A five pence cut in March, it’s gone up twelve pence in the last week at my local supermarket and NOW this shower are doing an “urgent “ review or see if the full five pence cut is being passed on. Talk about fiddling while Rome is burning.

C24

Post by C24 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:22 am

🇺🇦 🌻 🇺🇦

There was a fuel crisis in 1973/4. The advice, perhaps speed limit change??

Increasing your highway cruising speed from 55mph (90km/h) to 75mph (120km/h) can raise fuel consumption as much as 20%. You can improve your gas mileage 10 – 15% by driving at 55mph rather than 65mph (104km/h).
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:29 pm

And Liz T is looking at deristricting some motorway speeds - a cunning plan to get motorists yet again by increasing our fuel usage, increasing the tax take which she can then give back-to the millionaires. These politicos are so transparent.😜

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:05 pm

Only if you choose to drive at a higher speed. Unles of course there is an increased madatory minimum. If not then I for one will choose to stick to a more economical speed in lane 1.

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:38 am

Well said, Ian: thee and me together on that :clap: :clap: :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden » Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:31 am

Paddy, you and me running the country would soon have it sorted. Phantoms supported by F-5s, airshows at every airfield, flat deck the 2 carriers, every politician transported to a safe country in Africa.

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:43 am

But I love Africa. Don't want it spoilt by our politicians. There is more than enough corruption there already!!. :(

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:31 pm

On the way back from Waddington I filled up at the Jet on the A17 at 155.9 per litre of petrol

In Norfolk you still see 166.9 to 171.9 !!

Why so much cheaper in Lincolnshire?

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:36 pm

168.9 for Unleaded in my local Tesco's
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:52 pm

slogen51 wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:31 pm
On the way back from Waddington I filled up at the Jet on the A17 at 155.9 per litre of petrol

In Norfolk you still see 166.9 to 171.9 !!

Why so much cheaper in Lincolnshire?
It ain't that price in general in Lincs; still 168.9 in our Sainsbury's

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:01 pm

Ah!

Fair enough

155.90 is the lowest price I have seen anywhere for a long time

baz1

Post by baz1 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:47 pm

168.9 unleaded 177.9 diesel Tesco Lincoln for last three weeks