Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

P&O Ferries - Disgraceful?

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
slogen51

P&O Ferries - Disgraceful?

Post by slogen51 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:13 am

P&O Ferries parent company is DP World - a Dubai based holding company.

Disgraceful treatment of the British staff

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60789612

Black P&O !!

Pune

Re: P&O Ferries - Disgraceful?

Post by Pune » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:06 am

slogen51 wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:13 am
P&O Ferries parent company is DP World - a Dubai based holding company.

Disgraceful treatment of the British staff

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60789612

Black P&O !!
I agree, P&O should be blacklisted by everyone.
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:07 am

Trouble is that will damage the rest of the staff!

Pune

Post by Pune » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:40 am

slogen51 wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:07 am
Trouble is that will damage the rest of the staff!
That is true, but it seems that even though P&O have broken quite a few employment laws, the Government is not in a position to help for some strange reason??
Sadly a lot of other companies will look at this situation and think they too can get away with such appalling treatment of staff.
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:56 pm

The government are currently looking into it to ascertain whether any laws have been broken and If they have, what ramifications they can impose
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

Rob666

Post by Rob666 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:29 pm

They have broken plenty of laws, you have to give sufficient notice of such a move and just can't dump this awful news on people. Not sure of the guys name on the video and frankly don't care but you should be ashamed of yourself in not even having the guts to do this face to face. Treat people how you expect to be treated clearly you don't know this when in your ivory tower.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:11 pm

These **** who own investment holdings treat workers as resources not people - cut your feck dividend and improve your services and make them more attractive to customers.

Then everyone is a winner

TARGET

Post by TARGET » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:26 pm

We all have the opportunity to show our disgust by boycotting them and placing business with other suppliers

page_verify

Post by page_verify » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:59 pm

Rob666 wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:29 pm
They have broken plenty of laws, you have to give sufficient notice of such a move and just can't dump this awful news on people. Not sure of the guys name on the video and frankly don't care but you should be ashamed of yourself in not even having the guts to do this face to face. Treat people how you expect to be treated clearly you don't know this when in your ivory tower.
I don't know myself whether any laws were broken but I suspect there's little the government could have done to have stopped those 800 being made instantly redundant if that's what P&O wanted to do. They'd have found a way, for example, the board could have voted to begin voluntary liquidation in which case all several thousand employees would've been dismissed instantly. Or, they could file for administration and gone down the prepack administration route to get the staff they wanted back. Additionally, we don't know what redundancy packages were offered to them, I just know they have until the end of March to accept them. I suspect the staff will be paid in lieu of notice and the government will tell P&O off but accept that things could've been much worse for many more employees.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:25 pm

TARGET wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:26 pm
We all have the opportunity to show our disgust by boycotting them and placing business with other suppliers

Agreed but that hits workers as well as shareholders

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:31 pm

page_verify wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:59 pm
Rob666 wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:29 pm
I don't know myself whether any laws were broken but I suspect there's little the government could have done to have stopped those 800 being made instantly redundant if that's what P&O wanted to do. They'd have found a way, for example, the board could have voted to begin voluntary liquidation in which case all several thousand employees would've been dismissed instantly. Or, they could file for administration and gone down the prepack administration route to get the staff they wanted back. Additionally, we don't know what redundancy packages were offered to them, I just know they have until the end of March to accept them. I suspect the staff will be paid in lieu of notice and the government will tell P&O off but accept that things could've been much worse for many more employees.
In my not so humble opinion the board want to sack staff at a moments notice and recruit lower paid people or outsource

Not illegal but if you don't mind being one of the dismissed or indeed one of their replacements and look them in the eye as you board the ferry to take their place.

In my opinion DPworld are scum

XWP29

Post by XWP29 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:24 pm

Paper reporting that the replacement crews are paid as little as £2 ph and that they don’t have clearance to sail.
Thinking wider that if this sticks it’ll force other ferry companies to react.
GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Hurn

Post by Hurn » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:01 pm

P&O Chief Executive, deservedly getting roasted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00_1-0TlPdg

cat1

Post by cat1 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:31 am

now any trust built up has been destroyed as quickly as ice in the Sahara
Cheap cameras aren't good. Good cameras aren't cheap

Return to “General Chat”