Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Help identifying RAF parade photos

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
Andymacdonald

Help identifying RAF parade photos

Post by Andymacdonald » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:59 pm

Hi All

While going through my late Dad's things I found some photos of a parade in an envelope marked by hand with JRM, which were my Grandfather's initials. They're identified as Crown Copyright so I guess he got them from the official source.

However I have no idea of their significance to my Grandad and therefore our family. Judging from the the age of the guys in the line up they may be passing out parade photos, although many of them have Corporal's stripes. So I wondered if my Grandad (ex RAF) had them as it was the parade of my Dad (38 years RAF service.) A number of them show the then Air Chief Marshall so I looked up a list of previous ACMs but couldn't find a photo of the man in my photos.

Does anyone know a good site where readers could identify the place/time/etc?

TIA

Andy

C24

Re: Help identifying RAF parade photos

Post by C24 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:19 am

🌻 🇺🇦

Hello Andy. In a roundabout way, if you contact Churchdown, Glos. To ask for your father’s (and grandfather’s) service records you would get a date for your father being a corporal and work from there.
You will find all his courses noted.
I hope that helps
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

Andymacdonald

Post by Andymacdonald » Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:14 am

Hi C24

Thanks for the reply.

We have both of their records but therein lies the problem. We don't know what/where the photos are from and therefore why they'd be in my Grandad's possession.

Cheers

Andy

atech

Post by atech » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:50 am

Hi Andy

Your photos may well be an apprentice passing out parade.

Technician apprentices (super techs) used to pass out as corporals between mid sixties until mid seventies, which also fits your timescale. The last entry to do so was 122 entry who passed out in 1975

HTH

Atech

Return to “General Chat”