Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

E-on Gas/Electricity smart meters

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
zero_gravity

E-on Gas/Electricity smart meters

Post by zero_gravity » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:39 pm

A quick warning to anyone on E-on smart meters.
Had new meters fitted to co-incide with the end of my fixed term so that I could keep an eye on useage.

I was surprised to find that my calculations didn't match the smart data / actual bill.

It transpires that E-on meters do not update with the correct tariff for some reason , so the only way to reconcile what you are using with the
data on the smart meter is to contact the energy company and request they "fix" the meter , over the air , so that it reflects your true useage.

With energy companies charging whatever they wish via DDR , its worth keeping an eye on what is going on.
Check also their daily charges , eg electricity daily charges on E-on are now 45.315p/day . The OFCOM cap is 45 p /day , but it appears thats just a guide and the companies can vary that charge according to each region.

The NW is charged the maximum daily tariff.....electricity 45.3 , that's an increase of 101% . London is around 31p/day ,an increase of " just " 38% !

I think that's called leveling up :(

All this of course is in addition to the hike in charges for actual fuel used. :@

H.A.Bucken

Re: E-on Gas/Electricity smart meters

Post by H.A.Bucken » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:35 pm

It was E.on that first re-introduced the iniquitous standing charge, summat done away with during the last days of state ownership. The excuse was summat to do with Cameron's introduction of a 'green levi' which I still don't understand. I was going to switch to another provider, but they all followed suit. British Gas upped the unit rate, but I'm guessing E.aw will do very much the same in October.
Was always told 'cook and heat on gas'; for a small user of energy (I live alone) my gas bills were cheaper than electric- all that's running on the latter are: fridge, toaster, wireless, lights and occasionally the microwave.
Nationalise them.
"Scenic in the Mist" aka Roger

welshandy

Post by welshandy » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:19 am

Our Smart Meter, was still showing our "fixed" rate(15.8ppKWh) severn Days after it should have changed to the new "variable" rate(26.5ppKWh). Worse than that our energy provider Shell decided to switch us to the "new" rate four days before the "fixed" was due to end. Had to phone them to get it adjusted correctly.

It's the standing charge rise is the killer Electric from 15ppd to 45ppd!! Gas from 10ppd to 26ppd!!

Philly1971

Post by Philly1971 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:08 pm

Can someone actually explain the benefit of smart meters? I know they show you are using electricity, but I already know that, chances are I am sitting watching the TV, so unless I turn everything off and just sit in a dark room, I don’t get the point. Now on the other hand if these smart meters could offer cheaper rates at different times, so encouraging me to run my washing machine etc at a time when the grid has surplus, and therefore rewarding me for doing so by giving me a cheaper rate, then I am 100% in favour, but until then, I don’t think I will bother. Am I getting this all wrong, and do they already offer more than I think?

podge

Post by podge » Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:34 am

I’ve never had a smart meter and never trusted the idea.

I’m with Octopus and give them a reading every month through the app (I do the same with Anglian Water) can’t go wrong.

C24

Post by C24 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:10 am

🇺🇦 🌻 🇺🇦

We had a “checking the meters” visit from a supervisor of the energy supplier two weeks ago. To make certain that the meters were safe and working correctly.
We post readings each month via their website.

Apparently it is the manufacturers of the meters who are pushing the installation of these things. There is no benefit to the user, as at current pricing the annual cost is about £17 to operate the sm!
As stated above, saving energy is best achieved by using machines during low tariff period or switching them off.
Watching the numbers on the meter also gives a clue of usage.

It’s a con.
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

Condor68

Post by Condor68 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:07 pm

A friend investigated just before Lockdown re gas and electric Smart meter.Engineer said they would need to alter his wiring in order to enable it to work.They then quoted a silly figure.When he suggested that as his heating thermostat and electric meter were in the same room and the stat could contact wirelessly with the heating unit it could be done wirelessly.He was told that shows how little you know about this.They were out to make money appearing to rewire then show it working(albeit wirelessly)then legging it.He told them to go,another customer convinced the same engineer to bang his head of his fist.Engineers case comes up later this year for fraud.No charges have been brought against him for hitting the fist with his head.Doesnt mention that caper on the ads.

Pi

Post by Pi » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:09 am

EON keep asking me every month they are going to install my smart meter, ha ! oh no you are not !

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:39 am

Pi wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:09 am
EON keep asking me every month they are going to install my smart meter, ha ! oh no you are not !
The energy companies/suppliers are under government instructions to install a certain quota of smart meters per year, and get into trouble if they don't meet that quota. Despite what they might tell you on the phone/by letter, you do not have to accept a smart meter, although some companies did offer lower rates to those with a smart meter.

Pi

Post by Pi » Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:35 pm

I know they told me once I had to have one as its the law ! ha! I soon told them where to stuff it !

XWP29

Post by XWP29 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:19 pm

Smeeters, or smart meters - all about the tariffs that will come in the future and the government’s ability to access data? What could go wrong?
GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

daggerfan

Post by daggerfan » Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:08 pm

Just minutes ago I received a text from British Gas to say an appointment has been booked for smart meter installation and an engineer will call on July 21st. I didn't ask for an appointment and I certainly didn't ask for a smart meter! They'll be hearing my views on this situation very soon!

Condor68

Post by Condor68 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:24 pm

i got a call supposedly from British Gas saying I could be charged for missing my appointment for a Smart meter..I keep telling them where to put them but apparently an appointment had been made.As I was in hospital for the 6 monthly Cancer check would I book an appointment?Looks to be like BT about 15 years ago they brought out a neat little idea that would give customers 3 lines for the price of 2.Problem was if one of you had called to ask about it the sales guys who were on points per sale put you down as a sale and guys like me travelled sometimes hundreds of miles a day to find the customer either didnt want it or just wasnt in as no one told them about the appointment.They then tried to charge for you missing the appointment .Whille the sales guy who had done nothing winged it with the commission.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:28 am

In the next few weeks we are due to get a smart water meter, the aim being to pick up leaks quickly as use will be remotely monitored.

C24

Post by C24 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:48 am

🇺🇦 🌻 🇺🇦

Does the meter locate the leak?
C24.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"

Typeflyer

Post by Typeflyer » Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:15 pm

podge wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:34 am
I’ve never had a smart meter and never trusted the idea.

I’m with Octopus and give them a reading every month through the app (I do the same with Anglian Water) can’t go wrong.
I'm with you!

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:24 pm

C24 wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:48 am
🇺🇦 🌻 🇺🇦

I think I’ll give a serious answer to what might not have been a serious question! :P

By identifying unusual flow rates from meter to house they will be able to see if we have an internal leak problem.

By identifying unusual flow rates from main to meter they will be able to identify, and indeed isolate, a potential larger leak. At which point they will no doubt deeply one of the drones which is set up to record earth temperatures which in turn can identify where a water leak is taking place.

(Ask a silly question........ :halo: ! )

Condor68

Post by Condor68 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:42 pm

I watched the Sewermen series on tele then worked with some them when they damaged some of our telephone kit, They showed us what they can do and I have been away for a while so its probably better. Problem is usually miles from where people think.Its always `They were digging over there `That was probably the council re tarring pavements.We are not metered up here but I learned after that what I thought were BT cabinets in the middle of nowhere were actually Flow meter monitors .They are everywhere and what these guys can work out from them is amazing .
Another uncredited service that needs recognition.

Keith

C24

Post by C24 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:32 am

iainpeden wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:24 pm
C24 wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:48 am
🇺🇦 🌻 🇺🇦

I think I’ll give a serious answer to what might not have been a serious question! :P

By identifying unusual flow rates from meter to house they will be able to see if we have an internal leak problem.

By identifying unusual flow rates from main to meter they will be able to identify, and indeed isolate, a potential larger leak. At which point they will no doubt deeply one of the drones which is set up to record earth temperatures which in turn can identify where a water leak is taking place.

(Ask a silly question........ :halo: ! )

🇺🇦 🌻 🇺🇦 😉 🧽 🪣

Thank you for responding in such detail.
What is the maximum operating depth of their mining drones?

I love posts that illustrate errors similar to those that I miss when posting.

Stay dry
C24.

mustang5861

Post by mustang5861 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:12 am

iainpeden wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:24 pm

Given the seeming regularity with which we get news reports about houses that have been destroyed as a result of gas explosions, what does that say about the gas suppliers' ability (or willingness) to identify gas leaks in homes? 'Smart' technology my a*se! It's only as smart as the people able and willing to make use of it.

Return to “General Chat”