Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Boris - it's all over now?

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
slogen51

Boris - it's all over now?

Post by slogen51 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:47 pm

Chancellor Rishi Sunak and Health Secretary Sajid Javid resign.

They tell Boris they cannot serve in his Government

As Bob Dylan said ' it's all over now baby Blue'

pg1610

Re: Boris - it's all over now?

Post by pg1610 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:08 pm

Wow shame it is unlikely to make a jot of difference
Phil

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:12 pm

I wonder what switchback Ross has to say on this.

Sadly Boris will just blunder on regardless as "Its what the people want". And while him staying in place is helpful, constantly having to deal with scandal after scandal must be taking ministers minds of the real job which should be the cost of living crisis!

Pune

Post by Pune » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:20 pm

He has to go, if the cabinet have the minerals they will all resign.. :Wow:
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

cat1

Post by cat1 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:43 am

so if he resigns, we have a snap general election, we get (most likely) a Labour government.

P.S If Labour get voted in, I'm moving to Arabia
Cheap cameras aren't good. Good cameras aren't cheap

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:21 am

I'm a Labour voter and even i know Labour are unelectable... Even in the face of this shower of sh1te!!
Cameraless

time on target

Post by time on target » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:30 am

Re your remarks cat1. If Boris goes it does not mean a general election. The Tories will choose a new leader to become Prime Minister and carry on.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:46 am

The Tory posh boys still technically have a another 2 years 6 months left on the term.

I think labour are very electable - the labour (middle class - 11plus and grammar school) leader should play down the sir bit so as to not offend the reds - teachers and train drivers

Alf

Post by Alf » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:01 am

cat1 wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:43 am
so if he resigns, we have a snap general election, we get (most likely) a Labour government.

P.S If Labour get voted in, I'm moving to Arabia
Why an election if he resigns? That's not how it works.

Philly1971

Post by Philly1971 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:03 pm

Let’s put it this way, if Labour can’t beat possibly the worst Conservative party in our lifetime, then what does it say about them. As long as Labour is more worried about who has the right to use a womens toilet, rather than policies that might win back their rank and file in the North West and North East, they are as dead as a dodo. Hopefully when they do lose the next election, labour will split, with the momentum nutters joining their other red friends in a new unelectable party, leaving real labour to get on with becoming the sensible voice of the working class once again, whatever creed, colour or sexual orientation they happen to be.

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:05 pm

Labour historically, cannot budget a housewife's shopping list, let alone a country!!.

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:33 pm

Ah yes, because the Tories are fantastic at doing that aren't they :lol:

We're not in the early 00's anymore.
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:28 pm

slogen51 wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:46 am
The Tory posh boys still technically have a another 2 years 6 months left on the term.

I think labour are very electable - the labour (middle class - 11plus and grammar school) leader should play down the sir bit so as to not offend the reds - teachers and train drivers
I do not class myself as posh, but using your definition then (middle class - common entrance exam and public school) you must think I am. :S

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:38 pm

You are a bit on the posh side - I didn't mention public school
Edit : perhaps I should say you are ' Well spoken '

This is how good our Governments have been ( both red and blue) from the ONS

73% of 10 to 11 year olds met the expected standard in reading in the 2018 to 2019 school year
27% of pupils met the higher standard

The current target is that by 2030 90% of primary school children should meet the expected standard - probably why teachers want a 9%!!! pay rise - must be cost of living rather than performance. The media are more concerned with scandal - bloke gets pee'ed and propositions other men ! Basically he was looking for sex - nothing new there but of course if he used his position to pressure people then that is an offence the police should investigate.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:55 pm

slogen51 wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:46 am
Thought we'd sorted that a couple of years ago!

Anyway KS2 SATs - no surprise that the overall results went down - although reading actually increased marginally. It looks like the writing element suffered most which is easy to explain because so much of the writing element is about using interesting language which is best developed in the classroom environment with dynamic discussion and questioning.

I'm assuming you've heard of SMARTargets - the R stands for realistic not some arbitrary number plucked out the air.

As for public schools - the 7% (I think) of children who go to public school get these advantages: small classes equally more individual attention, self-confidence (as a primary head I once had the experience of the 16 year old daughter of a Russian oligarch making it very clear I was privileged to have her doing work experience in our reception class) and contacts for getting the best jobs out of uni.

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:59 pm

slogen51 wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:38 pm
You are a bit on the posh side - I didn't mention public school
Edit : perhaps I should say you are ' Well spoken '

This is how good our Governments have been ( both red and blue) from the ONS

73% of 10 to 11 year olds met the expected standard in reading in the 2018 to 2019 school year
27% of pupils met the higher standard

The current target is that by 2030 90% of primary school children should meet the expected standard - probably why teachers want a 9%!!! pay rise - must be cost of living rather than performance. The media are more concerned with scandal - bloke gets pee'ed and propositions other men ! Basically he was looking for sex - nothing new there but of course if he used his position to pressure people then that is an offence the police should investigate.

Most definitely not, my parents would absolutely cringe if they heard anyone say that.

My mother was a school teacher and in her day it was not the money that interested her but the success of her pupils. Being away at boarding school I am not entirely sure of the school hours in state schools at that time, but I am sure from the time my mother got home that the day was much longer than it is today. How many extra days of not teaching do teachers get for the so called "training days" which always seem to co-inside with the beginning / end of a break?

The way I am is what I learnt from my parents and not from being at a public school.

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:15 pm

If and it's a big if, there's a general election I don't think Labour will win an absolute majority, I think the best they could hope for would be a coalition with the LibDems, if there was an election now I reckon the tories would scrape it with a hugely reduced majority and seriously weakened so they will do all they can to avoid an election now, that's what's driving this. They want to get a leader in now who can turn their reputation round before the next election. That's all just my opinion.

There will only be an election if there's a parliamentary vote of no confidence, then the Queen will have to ask someone to form a caretaker government until an election can be run. I believe convention says she'll have to ask the leader of the opposition, that might not be Starmer, he said he's going to resign if he gets prosecuted for breaking lockdown rules, and that decision could come any day now.

The Conservative Party will ALWAYS put the Conservative Party first so won't allow a situation where a GE is forced on them.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:39 pm

They (PMs ) can't call a general election early to suit themselves - something to do with the Fixed Term Parliament Act

I remember John Major trying that stunt when his cabinet were revolting - do what I say or I will call a general election

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:30 pm

I think that was repealed in March this year.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/trie ... s-restored
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

baz1

Post by baz1 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:44 pm

if Boris resigned then surely Raab would take over, and as for Starmer and his side kick Rayner we have yet to await the outcome of their investigation
Comfortably Numb

Return to “General Chat”