Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Cost of Living Crisis 2022 - 20??

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
slogen51

Cost of Living Crisis 2022 - 20??

Post by slogen51 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:34 pm

Crisis?

Some mad inflation figures predicted by the BoE peaking at 13.3%

Key drivers seem to be :

Energy - all Putin's fault - the Russian shock
The bank expect the cap to rise to £3500 pa. Gas prices soaring to seven times forecast prices

Food prices - all Putin's fault
Russia and Ukraine are both major grain producers

Supply chains - still screwed after Covid bottlenecks
China keeps locking down

Pay rises
Pay rises will lock inflation in
A phrase you never heard is now common - ' companies are finding it easier to increase prices'
As a beer drinker I know that

slogen51

Re: Cost of Living Crisis 2022 - 20??

Post by slogen51 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:47 pm

So!

As a consequence

A) I drive more carefully and slow to save petrol - safer for everyone concerned and better for the car and Earth ( unless a number is about to depart from Mildenhall)

B) we use less gas and electricity to try and reduce the bill - better for the planet, apparently

C) buy more vegetables and eat real food rather than food that is hot in a box - healthier so I am told . Also reducing the beer consumption is on the agenda but probably a last resort after living in a tent

Edit how much energy is wasted trying to correct Google word completion

Rch80056

Post by Rch80056 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:55 pm

By the increases in what I have had to pay over the last year or two id say 25% is more realistic, held down at the moment by Government spin to try & stop it getting out of hand.
I blame companies raising prices against the published inflation rates rather than there direct extra costs……lots of profiteering going on, If your in Business great, if you can raise your prices with this as a good excuse to keep at the same living standard, for the man in the street, your knackered & will take the brunt of it & fuel the better off!

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:17 pm

slogen51 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:34 pm

Supply chains - still screwed after Covid bottlenecks
Lots of factors here, lack of staff in the factories are a big issue. I work for a big well known haulier, the drivers come back each day moaning about time spent at suppliers and RDCs.

Government banning hauliers from using red diesel in trailers have increased costs.

Lots of the Eastern European drivers are going home, as wages back home are starting to catch up with what they can get here in some areas.

Road works to, appears the Road network is one big building site
Posh are going to Wembley (albeit for a tin cup)

csnewton2701

Post by csnewton2701 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:53 pm

Don't forget furlough was never a freebie and was always going to be paid back.

Chris

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:10 pm

Correct

Don't mind eastern Europe drivers etc not coming as long as Brit Brit boys and girls want the the jobs and money - let's hope so. It's a worthy job that needs doing and you can work hard for a fair days pay and raise a family; or is that unrealistic now?

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:29 pm

slogen51 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:10 pm
Correct

Don't mind eastern Europe drivers etc not coming as long as Brit Brit boys and girls want the the jobs and money - let's hope so. It's a worthy job that needs doing and you can work hard for a fair days pay and raise a family; or is that unrealistic now?
Given the problem fruit and vegetable farmers are having getting labour I'd suggest the answer to your last question is yes.

There was a well rehearsed cycle of farm labourers coming from eastern Europe to do those jobs at a lower rate, and having less comfy living conditions, than the "local" labour was used to. It worked because they were here for a season, provided cheap labour and supported families back home. The government handling of Brexit broke that cycle, led to a shortage of itinerant labour and is causing food to rot in the fields. The British labour has got other jobs, more permanent, probably close to home and with better working conditions.

One of the reasons inflation was kicking in before Putin did his bit was a shortage of labour, leading to wage inflation and so on.

As it happens, I still think Brexit was the right thing to do for many reasons but the current lot have totally messed up the transition with their arrogance, aggression, lies and incompetence.

As for interest rate rises; I get the theory to reduce "spare" money leads to lower demand leads to controlled inflation - but that's in normal times. How is it that at a time when ordinary people are already short of "spare" money we get hit by increased interest rates which will further pressurise those who can least weather the storm? The argument, in this case, that higher interest rates gives savers more to spend doesn't work here - 13% inflation v. 2% interest rates means any cash holdings are worth 11% less over the year.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:59 pm

" it worked because they were here for a season, provided cheap labour and supported families back home"

Did transient workers from Europe really work ? Might have been profitable for farmers and Tesco's but has left some social problems in its wake

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:52 pm

Fair point. However itinerant workers have always been part of any developing/developed economy. Citizens of the Roman Empire moved around the known world, Irish navvies dug the canals and built the railways and eastenders went to Kent to pick the hops on an annual basis.

Bigger profits for the land and factory owners certainly and horrific slum conditions for the Victorian workers but we are beyond, thankfully, the days of the workhouse.

Addendum
Putin’s War has certainly had a huge impact on fuel prices but don’t forget that prices had already started to rise as the world economy reopened post pandemic and China was buying as much as possible so leaving a general shortage.
I suspect you and I are just old enough to remember the oil crises of the 1970s to know it tends to be cyclical - the boom/bust cycle the Brown tried to break.

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:21 am

Whilst I most certainly do not have any support for Putin, just like Boris, you cannot blame him for everything. We all seem to be more interested in delivering more and more arms to Ukraine but not taking any steps, and that seems to include the UN, to get the warring factions together to sort the issue out (better known as head banging).

It could be argued that by everyone's inactivity to end the conflict then we are the makers of our own misfortune. So stop all the arms shipments and start meaningful talks. Not convinced that is what Zelenskyy wants.

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:39 am

Doubt that it is possible to have meaningful talks with anyone based in the Kremlin!!!.

cat1

Post by cat1 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:41 am

despite the cost of living, it still remains popular

aside from the jokes though, Zelenskyy has no intentions to end the conflict with russia in ownership of any parts of ukraine, i completely understand this BUT.
is he putting other countries at much higher risk and not seeing the bigger picture. im asking a question not stating a fact so please enlighten me :S
Cheap cameras aren't good. Good cameras aren't cheap

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:05 am

Point 1. What remains popular?

Point 2. Ukraine has been an independent country for upwards of 30 years following the dissolution of the USSR. Although it has a somewhat checked political history, from well before 1900, it is a country moving towards genuine democracy with western liberal values and has no ambition to take ownership of land from any of its neighbours. For a decade, and certainly since 2014, Putin has controlled an insurgency into Ukraine including a forceful taking of the Crimea where a number of ports vital to the Ukrainian economy exist.
Zelensky will not concede land for a number of reasons; he is a politician who wants to be seen to be strong in the face of aggression, he knows the damage done to Ukraine if Russia keeps the Black Sea ports and he knows any weakness will only encourage Putin to further encroach on sovereign Ukraine territory.
Many see the agreement between Russia and Ukraine to export grain from Odessa as the tentative first step in a negotiated settlement.

Alf

Post by Alf » Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:12 pm

iainpeden wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:05 am
Point 1. What remains popular?
Living at a guess.

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:15 pm

Ithough relaxing the issue of grain ships was, perhaps, him showing signs of weakness, but maybe he wants the world to think he's not such a bad chap.? Little chance there Vlad!.

Return to “General Chat”